Mako King for jumping
Posted: 11 February 2010 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-02-10

Hi everybody,

I have had Mako 150x40 for 1.5 years, and made a big progress.

I am thinking about Mako King so I can better ride toe-side and then move to learning riding waves. In many reviews I read that in twin-tip mode it feels like Mako 150 - this is very great.

I didn’t find anything that compares their jumping. I really love the speed of Mako 150 - it allows to jump pretty good. How good is jumping on Mako King? Can it hold an edge in high wind?

I am a minimalist, and would love to have a single board. So far Mako 150 has been perfect for that. What are your thoughts about having Mako King as a single board?

Posted: 12 February 2010 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2007-11-20

Hi Michael - I’ve only ridden the King in very light winds for about 10 minutes, so can’t really help on that side.

I’m curious though as to why you think the King will be better for riding toe-side.  I’ve no problem doing that on my 150 Wide.

If you absolutely have to have only 1 board, then for that all-round board, I think the Mako 150 is king (haha) already.  Of course, one is never satisfied without a full quiver of boards and kites, so perhaps you should get the King as well for the bigger waves and for riding Mutant Style.

Signature 

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Posted: 12 February 2010 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2007-01-03

i think riding toesides more about stance and really commiting to your edge, bending your front leg makes a big difference too. try and lean forwards over your board more than you normally would. i can genuinely hold as much power toeside as i can heel because it’s too cold to try new tricks and I’ve got it dialled now..

if the king is anything like the wide i used for a month or so last year, its a great board for getting air ramping off waves..better than most. but in the flat it lacks pop on the release and you’ll go much higher on the zen. i’ve owned both and i’d say.. if its flat or below 3ft chop/swell then the zens better, if its bigger than that or your chops really mushy then the mako’s a go-er.

that said..my jumping technique is definately “C style” no matter what kite im riding ( i ride the rise on a 25cm throw) and i found the zen much more fun than the mako for anything involving leaving the water. if i was going for a carving/wave/cruising session then the mako was more fun the throw around.

probably doesnt answer your question… but its good info. i found the small zen/big mako combo covered every kind of riding i’d want to do.. while just owning the mako left me a bit lacking sometimes.

Signature 

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Posted: 13 February 2010 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

I think you are right on harry.
I got a short session on the king today and it jumps best with lots of speed and any type of ramp.
Flat water pop is better than you might expect, but there is no getting around this 165 of surface area.
Takes more leg drive than the Zen for jumping for sure.
I’m starting to really appreciate how I can morph it into so many different modes.
Today I ran it with one surf fin and one TT fin goofy style.
No pads, just wax and straps set up directionaly,  towards the surf fin end of the board.
The big fin doesn’t seem to get in the way even when you are almost standing on it.
That thing is making me smile when I rip a carve into a hunk of chop, its a surf machine!
The 43 width feels like it has a bit more stability than the 150 or 140 wide, its a dang smooth ride.
I’ve got this feeling that I’m eventually going to have to try this thing strapless.

Posted: 13 February 2010 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2009-01-17

I reckon for boosting it is more about holding the edge and increasing line tension rather than pop. The poppiest boards are pretty wide and flat in order to bounce off the water rather than sticking on to it.
On the 150 x 40 I can throw solid jumps when taking off on a wave, in flat water my consistency is not too great.
The 150 x 34 definitely jumps better, because I can hold the rail longer. At the moment I am thinking about putting big surfboard fins on it to edge even harder against the kite.
I have not tried the King, but based on my experience with the above mentioned boards and considering that it is significantly bigger I would not expect wonders from it when it comes to flat water boosting.

Posted: 13 February 2010 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2008-02-15

I’ve been riding the 150 x 40 for two years and the 140 x 50 for one year.  But I get mega air when I want to off the flat. With the MakO its about the speed, you cant just send the kite to fly high, build up speed, with the MakO then carve up wind, building tension Up Up and away. The faster your going the higher you go. 

Launcing off waves aways brings a smile upon though.

Posted: 13 February 2010 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-02-10

undertow, I totally agree - with Mako it’s all about the speed.

I have a feeling that surfboards are in generally slow, that’s what you need in waves. So I wonder how fast is Mako King in comparison to Mako 150x40? If it’s slower, the jumps won’t be great, right?

Posted: 14 February 2010 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2009-01-17

@Undertow:
Would be great if you can post a video with some big air! smile
I have seen some nice videos of people carving on the Makos, but without any remotely big jumps in it.
So I don’t really know if my flat water jumps are decent, or if there is lots more room for improvement..

Posted: 14 February 2010 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20

Sorry no vid, but here’s a pic: http://oceanrodeo.com/ocean_rodeo_gallery/image_full/2067

Posted: 14 February 2010 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2008-02-15

I don’t have one of big air of myself, but I do have one of an airel transition, here is one of my friend Brialn boosting high off some flat though. Going to Corpus Christi next month will try to ge a vid then.

Image Attachments
George Kiteing 007.jpg
brianboosting.jpg