Spinning Leash for Punch-Up Bar
Posted: 29 July 2006 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-07-29

I’ve looked at running the leash line through the centre of the bar so that it will spin, but it seems the bar will not be able to run up the centre line past the knots or stopper on the leash line if I try to ditch the kite. This means the kite won’t be able to fully depower and flag out once it hits the water.

QUESTIONS

1) Has anyone been able to setup the Punch-Up bar with a spinning leash and retain the full safety aspects of the original leash setup?

2) Is OR planning on making a spinning leash setup for the Punch-Up bar?

Thank you,

Rob

Posted: 30 July 2006 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2006-01-17

That would solve the front line leash tangles for sure Rob.  Would the Airush spinning leash attachment fit on all spreader bars I wonder?

Signature 

St. John’s Newfoundland

Posted: 30 July 2006 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-29

My first question was answered recently in another thread, which I just noticed. Here it is:

By JohnZ at OR:

“3) For a totally different approach you can modify the bar to make a spinning bar set-up. Note: Ocean Rodeo does not endorse this idea, but it has been told to us that it works well. Try this:
- Remove the set screws that hold the orange connector cable in place, remove the orange cable
- attach a length of spectra line off on the bottom side (closest to the bar) of the swivel
- Run this line through the 3rd hole in the upper stopper (previosly used by the orange line), through the center of the bar and through the 3rd hole in the bottom stopper.
- With the trim strap fully extended tie off this new length of spectra line to prevent it from pulling back through. Tie this length off so as to make a loop on the one end.
- attach your leash to that loop end - thereby making a leash that runs from the bottom of the swivel, through the stoppers and off to your harness.”

Thank you,

Rob

Posted: 05 August 2006 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-29

I’ve tried the setup that Johnz from OR mentioned (shown in my last post in this thread), with one modification. I did not route the spectra line (I used Q line) leash through the stoppers because I did not want the bar to have to push through the upper stopper in order to get full depower and I did not see the need to run it through the lower stopper. What I found was that not all of the benefits of the original leash setup are present in this spinning leash modification.

With the spinning leash modification, if you release the chicken loop from your harness and let go of the bar, the bar will travel up the leash to the swivel on the front lines and stop there. This means that there is no tension on the back lines, but there is still tension on both of the front lines. This is really no different from punching up through the stopper ball to depower the kite, which you don’t need a leash to do. The one advantage of this setup is that you can tighten down the upper stopper ball and ride the bar hard against the stopper without it releasing, and still be able to ditch the chicken loop and bar to get the benefit of full depower on two front lines. Note, do not route the leash line through the upper stopper if you want to be sure you’re getting full depower when you release from the chicken loop and let go of the bar.

I have concluded that if you want a true spinning leash setup with this bar then you should retrofit an Airush, Slingshot, or similar, spinning leash system. Either of these look like they will work just fine.

I hope this clear, understandable and helpful. It has been for me.

Rob

Posted: 07 August 2006 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-07-26

Or, try out the Vientomar bar with spinning leash attachment.  I’ve had one for a while and it works fine.  The Slingshot version may have too many pieces parts.  I’ve seen one owned by a buddy that developed problems.  Never seen the Airush version.