Posted: 02 February 2010 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-10-30

GEAR = 2010 12M Rise with a 2009 Skywalker 135x43 board
WEIGHT = aprox 218 lbs (98kg)
SKILL LEVEL = Newbie

SITUATION:
This past Saturday I tried the 2010 12M Rise in 10 to 13mph wind with out much success. There was enough wind to fly the kite but not enough power to ride upwind. I suspect the reason why I couldn’t ride was because the board was too small for my weight and also I need more practice.
On Sunday my meter was reading avg of 22mph wind with gust up to 27mph. I was able to ride upwind no problem. The kite performance was amazing!! I was a little over power when a gust would hit but perfectly fine the rest of the time. The 2010 Rise has a very big range which makes me wonder whether I really need another kite. Since there are not too many over 25mph wind days here in Miami, FL USA I’m leaning towards buying a big board for those 12mph wind days.

QUESTION:
What should my light wind board be? Does a small surf style board have the same buoyancy effect as a large twin tip?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2007-01-03

big door of a twintip will get going about the same time as a 6ft surfboard or a kite specific skimboard. but big twintips in light winds are about as fun as watching paint dry.

strapless for light winds all the way, be it skimboard or surf. its something different to play around with… while with a big twin all you can do is mow the lawn back and forwards, and how fun is that?

Signature 

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Posted: 02 February 2010 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

Looking at the stats you do need a bigger board for the light.  Harry was right about twin/surf until the King came along.
This board has great low wind potential and a big plus it is so versatile.  With the deck pad and large fins it is like a directional ,then in a flash you can change to a big twiny . Best of all worlds

Posted: 02 February 2010 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

Harry Said it all,

Amen brotha

Nothing gets going before a really big door style twin tip.  They motor upwind, and cruise along in nothing, but they can bore you to tears.  Mowing the lawn is kinda fun when your just starting out, but you will tire of it soon enough.  Then its onto a surf/skim to keep the stoke alive in the light air.

Posted: 02 February 2010 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-30

harry.allerston, I like the idea of the strapless to practice my balance and keep it fun in light wind.

sunrise, I had a Mako 140x40 before the Skywalker and while both have similar size the concave & round edges of the mako make it feel like a smaller board.  Would the same apply for the King?

Thank you both,
Danny

Posted: 02 February 2010 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13

The King definitely feels smaller than the size does make you think. I rode a similarly sized door type board for two tacks and gave it back to guy who owned it. No fun whatoever. I have been messing up small waves and some flat water on the King with other kiters watching from the beach. No they could NOT borrow my board.
Evan was promoting the strapless/symmetrical strap option on kiteforum

maybe that’s an option?

Posted: 02 February 2010 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2007-01-03

ooh i hadnt seen the new deckpad. You’ve made me doubt my surfboard now

whats the king like strapless?

Signature 

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Posted: 03 February 2010 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-09-15

I’ve got a litewave 169 TT for really light days, it works well for “just riding” but as you say you are kind of limited as to what you can do with it.

The King looks awesome with the deck pad, I knew I should have used it at vansurf! :0( That said I’d only have wanted one even more!

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Posted: 04 February 2010 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2006-10-24

Lets ne honest here. Kite surfing is a 15mph plus sport. If you can actually manage to get out, stay up wind AND HAVE FUN below that you are probably filled with gas (Richard??  smile )

However, I’ll admit I need to get a surfboard sorted and see what the low end that gives.

Alternatives??

Stay at home, threaten to do DIY, have a row with her in doors and get extremely moody seems to be a “normal” course of action.

Of course you could always go on a brownie point collection spree too (however, further bad moods are permitted)

Signature 

The only kiter in the Village

Posted: 04 February 2010 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20

“filled with gas” ..  LOL

But honestly in 11-16 KTS (15mph=13kts) I’m having a great time with my 14m Rise09 and my digestion is perfectly in order.. wink
I am a light weight though..

I would love to see a lightwind & wave solution / directional like / Mini King for light weights/easytravel?,  150cm max, width 42/43cm?, flatter rocker and a bit skoop, nice concave, possibility to stand more above the fins like directionals. “Snowboard” construction. Idea?
Regards,
Arjan

Posted: 04 February 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2009-08-20

The Original poster says he is a Newbie, at that skill level and weighing over 200lbs, 13knots is not windy enough for a 12m, He needs the 14m and the mako king in twin tip mode.

Posted: 04 February 2010 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11
harry.allerston - 02 February 2010 10:38 PM

ooh i hadnt seen the new deckpad. You’ve made me doubt my surfboard now

whats the king like strapless?

Harry, the King is &^^%$##@$@ awesome strapless, especially with the full deck pad! Personally I never ride it strapped, and it is as easy to gybe and dance around on as a bigger surfboard. It’s super stable, even at low speed.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 06 February 2010 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2008-12-11

I would love to trade my Door 159 for the King. The Door has let me get out riding with my 12 rise many times when I would otherwise be sitting on the beach. It is a real bear to handle in any kind of shore break though. Will the King go upwind (rigged out as bi directional) as well as the Door 159? If so, the Door is gone and King is in. Would be great to start learning to ride strapless when conditions are right, and have the ability to go back to straps if things just arent going well in the strapless session.

Signature 

BillG

Posted: 06 February 2010 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Bill, I’m no expert on (or fan of) Door style boards, but I will say that if it’s not windy enough to ride a Mako King and cruise upwind easily, you’re better off sitting on the beach with a drink in your hand or watching the grass grow!

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 08 February 2010 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-30

Thank you for all the ideas.  The King strapless sounds like a fun alternative for those light wind days.  I know watching grass grow is boring but when you are suffering from “kite fever” being on the water is the only thing that keeps you sane until the next good session.