Drysuit Sizing for the tall and skinny
Posted: 03 December 2009 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-12-03

Hi;
I need some drysuit sizing advice.  I am 6’ 2” and weigh 170# (188 cm and 77 kg) and consistent with these dimensions have a narrow wrists, ankles and neck.  I am looking at the Pyro Pro.  If I choose to fit a suit to my height, the XXL is the right size.  If I chose to fit it to my weight / girth, the best choice is the LT.  I have tried on the XXL, XL and LT and found that the XXL offered the best fit in terms of lenght and range of motion but I am concerned about the seals being sized up for a heavier, thicker person.  I went home with the LT but am having second thoughts as the arms and legs do seem a bit short and with long underwear and a fleece top on my range of motion feels somewhat restricted.  My local dealer is willing to do an exchange for me but I don’t want to stick him with a suit that I have used.

If you had to get one suit wet, which one would you bet would be the best fit?

Do you expect that the XXL will leak at the seals because they are too large for me?

Posted: 03 December 2009 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-06

I’m same height and a little skinnier. I had the Pyro ‘Classic’ a little while back in MT and it was a better fit for me than the L. Since then I’ve tried the Pyro ‘Surf’ in XL and was ‘good to go’ in that. Waiting on the ‘Predator’ in XL now. Never had any issue with the seal sizing. I think they’re a standard size but stand corrected?

Signature 

andy

Dorset UK

Posted: 04 December 2009 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-12-03

The seals change with suit size.  This has been confirmed by OR.  I am going to try the XL thanks for the feedback.

Posted: 04 December 2009 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2007-10-02

Hey oldcolonial. I’m 6’1 165 and I have the XL (2008). I get a little water in the ankles and wrists, but nothing crazy. The only time the suit gets really wet is when I get dragged a lot smile Something I try to avoid in the colder waters.

Posted: 05 December 2009 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20

If you are skinny you should consider smaller seals on the suit.
I think you can order that specific.
I’m 180cm, 66kg, on the MT suit and chancing to smaller seals
My surroundings (correct english?): pols: 16.6 cm, ancle: 21.3cm, neck: 37cm, if you are just a bit bigger then the standard MT seals are good. Don’t know which seals are on the XL…

Regards,
Arjan

Posted: 10 December 2009 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-10-19

For further reference. 6 foot 3, 195 lbs.= me. Fit an XL perfect.

Posted: 29 December 2009 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2006-11-22

I am 6´ 1´´. weigh 175 pounds and kite in an LT. The seals fit perfect and the rest of the suit as well. I think compared to you, that the extra inch you have on me could make a difference. The ankle overcuffs reach just below my ankles and my movement is not restricted but maybe if I were 6 2 it would be.

thats my 2 cents worth.

Signature 

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide