Solution for the triming problems of the SLE 3.0 bar

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2009-11-04

PM

Hi everybody,
After trying all the others ideas on how to get to trim the SLE 3.0 bar,one of the riders from Tenerife has come up with this solution.
I hope no one gets angry with this but at least in our bars this was the only way to solve it.

I am going to translate the steps first and after you can see the pictures:
1.Take out knots to dismount the trim

2.Sand the holes to aloww and easier way in and out of the rope.Be careful to prevent both holes from comunicating

3.Sand the way out of the rope

4.sand the way in of the rope

5.This is optional but have undressed the pulley because it added some more friction but it also protects from the sand so its up to you..

Once again I hope anybody gets ungry with me for this, but we have tried everything.
Also I have to say the kites are just awesome,everyboy is stoke with them.
Have fun!

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Wow Surfnomada, some excavating going on there!

I do not recommend doing this to the chicken loop to anyone, I’m not in after-sales but now it’s hard to exactly trace back what caused your problems.

If this takes away the cause of the trim line blocking, you almost certainly had an issue with the internal channels in the part we call Chicken Loop Body (the black thing), or your line. afaik we have not seen anything from production parts causing trouble like this. It couldn’t have been too bad as the people who assembled this did manage to get the line in. Do you recall finding anything sharp in there?

I did not get from your earlier description the problems were coming from the channel as they were leading me towards and error in the cleat.
Hopefully this works for you.

Anyway, I’m really glad you didn’t loose the stoke over the kites, and that the problem is solved for you. Have fun!

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

Is it every bar that’s affected or just a few

Joined 2009-11-04

PM

Hi Sean,
At least there 12 bars afected in the Canaries.
And as far as I know some pepole in the other places of Spain are having issues pulling the trim.
As I wrote in the other post, my region dealer told me to let go the edge of the board to pull the trim.That´s suppossed to make it easier but it doesn´t work.And more over,thats not how it has to work, I mean, why do you have to ride downwind to pull the trim?

As for the black plastic in the chicken loop it could be the problem as you say.When the guy tried to reasemble it, it was really difficult to put the line through it again. He said he had to attached another line to the cord and pull strong.
I will call him and ask him if he found something.
Anyway I will tried to fix mine today so I will let you know wink

Obviously the guys who have done this have taken a big risk, not only of lossing the guarranty but also in breaking the bar.But they have waited two months for the kites, it is windy here now and the want to ride.

I hope anyone come up with another solution,maybe a thinner trim rope..?But meanwhile we want to use the kites.

As I said the kites are awsome.I like them more than last year´s.And the bar, what can I say ,whe yesterday I had to ride a 10m kite of one of my friends(not OR kite), I felt really akward with the bar…baghhh I wanted my OR SLE 3.0 bar…!

Have fun

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

is there anyone who has used the new bar and also used the earlier SLE bars (are used to the below the bar trim line) that are having a similar issue?

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Some of the OR staff (including me) have used the bar and we have had no issues with it at ALL, in fact the chickenloop on all the bars we have used performed fantastic. Rest assured we’re digging in to the problems Surfnomada has been experiencing right now and will provide answers to the questions here asap.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-03-23

PM

think OR should have included a file ,;:=((

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

No problems with any new bars here in Seattle.
Hope you guys get this one figured out…its a really sweet control system.

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

There is absolutely no issue with these bars whatsoever. I have found that with some of them that when the bar is brand new and first flown, I could not trim in on the beach, but within two minutes of use on the water I could trim in and out easily - it is the same as the ‘09 bar, but is much nicer with the new cleat. So, what we are left with is the possibly that you may not be able to trim in and out for the first two minute ” break-in period ”. I’m no scientist but perhaps there are some small burs inside some of the bars that you need wear off.

I strongly advise against modifying your bars as it is 100% unnecessary. End of story!  grin

We tested today in side off, waist to head high waves in gusty condtions - high teens to high 20’s, so plenty of need for trim adjustments. Here are some photos of the testing ground, from Saturday’s session, just before we had our 2010 bars.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

mattenzuchtig - 12 November 2009 10:11 PM

think OR should have included a file ,;:=((

I’m sorry OR is currently not targeting detained riders raspberry, try the pattisery!

@ Evan, that’s great news. Now I need a picture of you going down the line holding that new bar…

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-05-26

PM

I switched from an 08 bar to a new 2010 bar last week—in two sessions I have found the new bar to be more difficult to change the trim on than my well-used older bar, but it was certainly possible.  It is important to make sure you jerk the rope out of the cleat and then change the trim—the rope won’t slide through the cleat’s teeth (which is a good thing).  I expect it to get a bit easier with more use, but it was OK.

The feel of the bar is great! and the swivel actually works.  It’s a small detail, but I really like the hideaway bungie cords on the bar ends —hope they last! 

Anyway, I hope everyone that has this bar figures out how to deal with the trim, because it’s a great piece of equipment.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2008-09-16

PM

After three sessions on the 2010 bar (about 15 hours of riding) I haven’t had any problems.

I still use the same technique I used on my 2009 bar:

1.) Hold bar with one hand. Grab trim line with other.
2.) Let bar out as I pull the trim line in.

Are you trying to pull the trim line in with full power in the kite (bar sheeted in)? Of course it will be hard to pull….

Signature

Shane
http://www.MASSkiting.com
Boston Area Kite Community
Ocean Rodeo Crew

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

SK - 13 November 2009 03:14 PM

After three sessions on the 2010 bar (about 15 hours of riding) I haven’t had any problems.

I still use the same technique I used on my 2009 bar:

1.) Hold bar with one hand. Grab trim line with other.
2.) Let bar out as I pull the trim line in.
[edit] 3.) Bear off the wind by 5°-7° to lighten the load on the front lines[/edit]

Are you trying to pull the trim line in with full power in the kite (bar sheeted in)? Of course it will be hard to pull….

This is exactly my experience too. Surfnomad, please avoid making such drastic changes to your bar before riding it and breaking the rope in a bit!

In summary, below the bar trim adjustment will always be stiffer than above the bar. If you follow the 3 steps listed above the bars will be easy to trim. You simply need to lighten the load on the front lines smile

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-08-26

PM

Hi, Evan,

I would say that bars, at least we have in Canaries are going well, but
isn´t the case and after two weeks trying to navigate, I have decided
to modify because it´s imposible to use the trim, congratulations Evan
if you haven´t problems with it, But a few of us,, was imposible and
be sure we aren´t Pro but know the operation of a bar.
  We tried to pull the trim with the depower lightenig the tension on
the front lines and didn´t move a centimetre, now after the modification
the trim is soft like the 09 bar.

Best Regards

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I believe you man.
And I think that mod you did is a good solution.
Where do we send the beer?

Joined 2009-11-04

PM

Hi,
I as I said before in my first post I didnt want to start controversy about this subjet.
It looks like some people are taking this personally and I am sorry for that.

I have been riding for 5 years now and been riding OR 4 years.
I am stoked with the kites and the new bar but we are having serious issues with the triming.
As tarajal said we are not pros but we now perfectly how to operate the kite, and of course we now how this triming system works.

It might be possible that if we ride for 5 or six days the triming rope may go softer..but in my case i.e. I am riding a 6m kite.Have you tried to ride a 6m kite in 35 plus gusty knots without a triming possiblility…?How long should I wait to find 20 knots days to ride smooth with my 6m so I can fight with the triming until it wears out a little?And the same with my 9m kite and 12m kite?

Tarajal and the guys have found the best and faster solution and thats the end, everybody is happy now and stoke as ever with the OR .

In my case I have found a very sharp zone inside the chicken loop “black plastic thing”
It has two holes, one for the water to evacuate and one for the rope to run through.
The separation between this to holes is really sharp and as Rudo suggested me this could be the problem.This weekend i will sand this shrap and rugged zone and try.
I hope this works for me.

In Tarajal´s case he could not even pull the triming rope out of the black plastic tihng and out of the grey plastic thing.Thats why he sanded both holes. Even more in tarajals other kite the effort to take the rope out of both holes was different from the first kite ,this means the holes caliber was different assuming the rope caliber is the same.

In my case the rope went out smoothly so I guess my problem is the one explained.

Maybe It was too dramatic to post this problem in the forum with the pictures and all but we didnt know if this was a problem in our kites only or not.
I am the one interested in all this to get cleared, I am local dealer for the canary islands and have been fighting three years to break through this market.Believe me here is really hard to sell anything apart from north or slingshot.
So now that pepole are discovering how fu*** good this kites are I want everything to work perfect .

Have fun