SLE BAR 3.0 triming problems

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2007-09-22

PM

El Rudo - 25 January 2010 07:53 AM

Hi Henrik,
I think Jaros has the solution to your cleat-problem: When going out snowboarding, keep the trim line in the cleat. You might try to use the short knot on the kite control line leaders so you’ll still have the full power setting available from the cleat.
cheers, Rudo

Hi

Yes, that is a solution but it don’t fix the real problem. It’s still a workaround from a less good solution. I have a 12m rise -10 and most of the time I don’t need any depower at all because we don’t have much wind where I live.
I haven’t paid so much attention to it so I have no suggestion on a solution.

As an answer to you Jaros is that the bar is changed since 2008. I have had a Rise 10m from 2008 and didn’t have this problem and not the other regarding the problem to depower. The summary is that the bar from 2010 is not as good as the bar from 2008 for snowkiting.

Thanks for your response and tips!

br
henrik

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

There is a small percentage of the first production run of 2010 bars that were not manufactured to design specs - the result is that the trim is ” sticky ” and harder to depower than it should be. If you have one of these bars please contact your retailer to obtain a warranty replacement chicken loop assembly (which will be supplied with a bonus new trim line to make changing out the loop very quick and easy for you).

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2007-09-22

PM

Hi

It seems that I have that first version so I’ll talk to my dealer.

Thanks!
/henrik

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

I had the ‘07 bar (same cleat on ‘07 and ‘08) and now have the 2010 bar and i use my gear a lot for snow kiting here in Utah.  I wouldn’t call snow building up in the cleat a design flaw, it’s just the nature of snow kiting.  snow tends to pack into tight spaces and any cleat fits that description.  As recommended above, just keep the trim rope in the cleat to prevent this.  If it slips out and snow does pack in, i just use a key to clear it out.  The half inch of trim this eats up just doesn’t make much of a difference to the power in the kite, but if you think it does, just move the attachement knots for the leaders in a little.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-04-02

PM

Hi, I’m not sure why this problem has not been explained yet, but nothing to do with ice or snow or stopper balls (I’ve never had any depower issues on the snow with any kite!)...John told me there was a shrinkage issue with the moulds in the factory with the first bunch of bars. Who can tell how many of the first bars it has affected, I’m sure John Z will have a better idea. A replacement depower loop will fix your issues. Funnily though mine has gotten much better with use, but is still a bit hard to depower while riding. Powering up is fine, probably because that’s what the kite wants to do under load while flying! Try setting your cleat with a bit of depower prior to launch, especially on a windy day & then power up as necessary… until you can get a replacement.
Talk to your dealer, I’m sure they will have you covered…
Cheers, Tim:-)

Joined 2007-09-22

PM

Hi Tim and thanks for the info!

Yes, it has nothing to do with snow and ice. I can tell after have used a Rise 2008 two years both winter and summer.
OR should explain this better because it is a problem for those that have that bar.

My dealer have ordered a replacement depower loop so I’ll get my probelm solved in a while.

Have fun!

/henrik