1 of 2
SLE BAR 3.0 triming problems
Posted: 04 November 2009 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-11-04

HI to all,
We are already riding the OR 2010 RISE in the Canary Islands .
A lot of people are having some trouble with the trim line.For some reason its really difficult to trim the kite while riding.It´s really hard.
We dont know if its the cleat that is too tight to the trim line or the trim line is too thick.

I have told this to the spanish dealer and he just told me that its easier to trim if you go a little bit downwind while pulling the trim l line.This makes sense but it doen not seem like something that solves the problem.
Anyone there having the same problem?

Thanks a lot

Posted: 04 November 2009 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2007-01-03

if you mean letting the trim off.. then thats just how clamcleats work.. the trick is to pull it in a tiny bit more before you let it out to let the rope come out of the teeth

Signature 

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Posted: 04 November 2009 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2009-01-07

Did ya actually try wat your dealer told ya?? then it should be dead easy.  And do the bars look as gud as in the pictures? Cant wait to get mine..

Posted: 04 November 2009 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2009-01-07

And actually are ya usin the stopper on full tension?. Id imagine that would make the line a lot harder to pull, especially when the bar is up close to the stopper!!!.

Posted: 04 November 2009 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Hola Surfnomada, welcome to the Crew!

I’ve run demos for our company for many years and am often asked this question by riders new to the kite and unfamiliar with our bar system.

If you are riding and want to change the trim of your kite it is very difficult to do so if you do not help by reducing the load on the front lines. If you stay on your same tack and carry load on the front lines you will both be adding friction to the cleat and forcing yourself to have to pull your own body weight as you adjust the trim.

Instead, please try this method to trim your kite. I’ll add that this becomes almost second nature after a few practice runs.

1) Be sure you are pulling down and out on the trim line as you pull. If you only pull out the cleat will not let go of the rope
2) Stand up on your board, come off edge
3) Push the bar away from you as you pull down on the trim line. This is often enough to loosen the line. However, you can also,
4) Slightly bear off the wind and point down wind by 3° or 4° to your tack to slacken the front lines

Good Luck!

John Z

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 05 November 2009 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20

Hi Surfnomada,
I think we shortly spoke eachother at the beach in San Augustin, you were riding an older (2007?) 12m blue Rise and were waiting for the new gear.
I rode with my 09 rise (orange) 10. correct?
Hopefully we meet again next year,
Regards,
Arjan

Posted: 05 November 2009 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi Surfnomada,
Congratz on the new kites! I agree with Johns post on the easiest way to use the cleat. I can add to this that we selected this cleat to work with the rope in “used condition”, that means it works really well after a few sessions once the rope is starting to feel loose. This happens because there’s some coating on there that wears off.
You’re actually spot on when you say the rope feels too thick for the cleat, this is true for new ropes the first two or so sessions around. Note that once the rope starts to feel softer it behaves like a thinner rope inside the cleat channel and will work very easy, even without bearing downwind.
I’ve got some 8 sessions on the new bar and it’s working like it should.

Posted: 05 November 2009 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-04

Hi guys, thanks for all the answers!
I have been riding OR 3 years now and never have this problem before.Thats what got me so surprised.
I am going to try this today and see what happens, I am sure it will work perfect.

The BAr is awesome anyway!

By the way , take a look at this week forecast here in the canary Islands wink

http://www.windguru.cz/es/index.php?sc=49339

nice hehe..

Posted: 05 November 2009 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-04
Janus - 05 November 2009 08:06 AM

Hi Surfnomada,
I think we shortly spoke eachother at the beach in San Augustin, you were riding an older (2007?) 12m blue Rise and were waiting for the new gear.
I rode with my 09 rise (orange) 10. correct?
Hopefully we meet again next year,
Regards,
Arjan

Yes sure!! Come up to Vargas anytime and you will see me there or any of the riders!!

Regards!!

Posted: 05 November 2009 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2006-01-09

Hi guys,
It’s often hard to trim when you have twists in your front lines or and in your depower line, it add more friction.
think about having everything clean before trimming.
J

Posted: 05 November 2009 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-04

Thanks Jeremy!

Posted: 17 January 2010 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-17

I have just recently returned from kiting in Barbados for 10 days using the SLE 3 bar for the first time. When I started to kite for the first session I launched with some depower in the line but once riding the line slide up so that the stopper was against the release and I could not move it. The second day kiting the depower line held in place but I could not get it to cleat when trying to adjust the trim and it stayed at full power up to the stopper. The third day I was able to have the depower line hold in the cleat and adjust the depower.
Luckily I was kiting in winds the first two days where I was not overpowered and could land the kite safely with full power, however, if I needed to depower the kite I would have not been able to do so.
I had read this post before going down but I don’t know what I could have done differently (ie. prestretch lines).

Posted: 17 January 2010 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi Irwe, welcome to the crew and thanks for posting. We have found out the the stopper ball can jam on the CL body surface. The trick is to remove the ball (not the one on the end!).

Note: New bars have already been shipped with this set up.

Posted: 24 January 2010 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2007-09-22
El Rudo - 17 January 2010 03:35 PM

Hi Irwe, welcome to the crew and thanks for posting. We have found out the the stopper ball can jam on the CL body surface. The trick is to remove the ball (not the one on the end!).

Note: New bars have already been shipped with this set up.

hi
I have the bar with the original setup( two balls) and I have problemm to depower, especially when it have come some snow but also when there is no snow in it. (yes, I use to do as described above to release power)
Seems that I must try to remove the first ball to find out if that helps.

Another thing I have problem with when snowkiting is when you get snow into the clam cleat, you can’t depower because the line will not stay in it and it’s very problematic to remove the snow because you must have a very small tool and remove ALL the snow. It jumps off as soon there is any snow in it because the line don’t go deep enough.
The overall construction is not good for snowkiting as far as I can tell.

Br
Henrik

Posted: 25 January 2010 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2008-05-13

Hi,
I have been using my 2008 Rises on snow for years and have never had any problem with the snow in the cleat. How can a snow get into the cleat if there is a line in it?
Greetings,
Jaros

Posted: 25 January 2010 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi Henrik,
I think Jaros has the solution to your cleat-problem: When going out snowboarding, keep the trim line in the cleat. You might try to use the short knot on the kite control line leaders so you’ll still have the full power setting available from the cleat.
cheers, Rudo

1 of 2

‹‹ Mako 145 ?      noo noo’s New Gear Dilemma! ››