One Bridle Mod - shorter version of Dynamic / Direct Mod

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Wisha -  I hope she goes for a decent price, you have done a lot for all One owners to increase the value of these bomber kites. I’m sure the word on the new bridle will continue to spread.

But I know what you mean about sticking to a single design to keep your kite flying timing consistent. Usually in summer and in lighter wind I ride a 12m Rise, and before all the bridle mods, I was planning to get an 8m Rise for our windier fall/winter/spring. But the new bridles have made my 7 and 9 Ones a lot more fun. Maybe I’ll upgrade after I get a chance to ride to 2010 Rises in the smaller sizes, I’m hearing nothing but raves from those that have ‘em.

Again, thanks, & cheers !

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Turning Speed - the final frontier for my 12m One - Flysurfer sold me a 70 cm carbon bar that I set up with an OR line set. Had the 12m out for a good session yesterday, and wow, big improvement in turning, kite turns sooner,  tight pivots with the bar cranked over and the kite sheeted in some. 12m now turns like the 9m with a 60 cm bar, or 7m on a 50cm bar. Will have to compare it to my 12m Rise, which has been feeling neglected.

Latest Bridle developments - Wisha PM’ed me a note a while back after trying my shorter version of this bridle mod on his 12m One,  ( before selling it ) basically saying his kite flew better with the longer version of the mod. After thinking about this for a while, I considered the differences between the two :

1. Longer bridle lines align closer to the direction of the pull from the kite which those lines support, while shorter lines are more obliquely angled, loading up the kite with higher lateral loads, which likely distort the kite into a bit of a kinky shape, away from its design-intended gradually-curved shape.

2. The longer bridle did not use the first or near-centre bridle attachment points.

I decided to have a go at the worst of #1, the A & B pair, replacing them with lines about 2.5X B’s length and 1.5 X A’s. Did this on my 12m, but I’m not certain it’s had any effect. Likely I’m not good enough kiter to tell the difference. I’ll post the lengths and line plans if anyone else is interested in trying it - Let me know.

I may also have a go at #2 in a few months, when things warm up a bit here, right now it’s still too bloody cold at the beach to be messing with bridle lines. Enough winter, bring on spring !

Signature

Comox Kite Repair

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2007-02-20

PM

Hi Folks,

Tried to post last Sunday, after a great session on my 12 meter One…something went wrong posting the long, rambling message, perhaps for the better.

I promised to let you know a while ago how the 12 meter performs with it’s new Wisha/Greg bridle. Here it is: AWESOME!!! Thank you Greg and Wisha.

It’s a different kite. It’s a One on steroids. The 12 meter One had been lying in the shed for a long time…now I have a light-wind weapon that is actually fun to use. I have used the specs. as described in this thread. All I had to do is adjust the length of the brakelines. Perfect!!

If anyone has any questions, go ahead. Right now I am a little pressed for time. Later!!!

Arjen

P.S.  Do not hesitate!! I am actually going to do my 7 meter One as well.

Joined 2008-11-05

PM

Hi Arjen,
I did the modification (#1) with my 7m One already in February. I used it only once for a couple of minutes in very unstable gusty conditions, just to try, if the line setting is working. It worked fine, but I had one fontstall, but as I said, it was shity stormy weather in the inlands. On the other hand, the general setting seems to be OK.

Let me know, how your 7m One flies after the modification.

Malte

Joined 2007-02-20

PM

Will let you know Malte, thanks! It will be a while though, I lent it to a friend of mine who lost his kite to sea, and I have a 6 meter Rise, so I told him to keep it as long as he needs it…

Regards,

Arjen

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Bridle Mod update :  I’ve been thinking over the past few months why Wisha’s original longer mod would fly better. His mod had no bridle attachment at the center or first inboard LE point, whereas my shorter version has the A and B lines coming off at oblique angles ( same as factory bridle ). So I re-arranged the bridle lines from the first three points :

LE 1 -  combined the C & B lines
LE 2 -  new “P2” line here, lengths are 41 / 46.5 / 53.8 / 62 cm loop-loop for 7 / 9 / 12 / 16 m2 kites

These two lines join into D line and then one side of the V1 pulley line

LE 3 - A line, which connects to the other side of the V1 pulley line

Remainder is same as my original shorter mod. I made my P2 lines using Q-power line, making loops with an overhand knot and covering them with heat shrink.

Here’s a picture

This mod makes the front lines a few inches longer, and the kite prone to flying backwards if trim line is set for full power. Compensate by shortening the V2 pulley by about 4 - 8 cm.

Will have to get a picture of the bridle with the kite flying. Lines now all come off the LE closer to perpendicular. My kites seem to fly better, but honestly I’m not a good enough rider to notice a huge difference.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Used to be a post before this one, don’t know what happened to it ... ??

Signature

Comox Kite Repair

Joined 2008-11-05

PM

Hi Greg,
I changed the mod for my 7 already in February. There wasn´t enouph wind yet to test it proberly. Would you suggest to update to your new setting from july?
Regards
Malte

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Malte - I didn’t notice any difference after making this latest tweak. I recommend when you get some decent wind,  fly your 7 with the original mod that you’ve already done. Then if you feel like doing a bit more and have a few meters of Q-line handy, then give it a go.  If you notice any change, then please post about it.

Wisha noticed his 12m did not flying so well with my shorter bridle compared to his longer version, and I think bridle loads at the first and second attachment points are the issue, I’m just not a sharp enough rider to notice the difference. Does my tweak fix the problem - I don’t know,  I need others to try and say.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

I put the latest mod on my 9m One and had two sessions. First session was fairly steady 10-15knots and second was gusty and shifty 10-18 knots. I was going upwind or holding my ground in the lulls in both sessions. I weigh 144lbs and have been kiting on OR kites since 2006. I was riding a CrazyFly 144 board at low-tide off Cape Cod, MA. I noticed right away the better turning, slightly reduced bar pressure, less depower and some increase in low-end. Yes, the tips deform a bit but it is not worse than the original bridle as far as I can remember. The kite was inflated rock-hard. I played around with the knots and noticed that if the kite is not over-sheeted a bit, it does not turn as fast. It might have to do with the amount of wind I was operating in. Overall I was pleased with the mod. I also rode my un-modified 7m OR One in higher winds the same day that it was gusty and shifty. It was noticeable what happens when the wind direction changes and you lose power unless you re-direct the kite and point the board downwind. On my 9m earlier in the day I did not notice this behavior as bad as on my 7m, so definitely there is a good change which occurred because of the bridle mod. Also I noticed that in the gusts the kite does not charge forward as much as it used to. My only slight concern is with the amount of depower and how that would affect things riding in higher gusty winds. Is there a setting for the new bridle that would bring back some of the depower ? For summer riding the amount of depower is ok, but for winter riding in small fields with the gustiness and shiftiness that winter winds bring, I will have to think about. As I ride my 7m quite a bit in the winter I will most likely try the mod to see how it will do. All in all an awesome mod. Thanks for the contributors work on this.

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Buhas - 13 September 2010 05:17 PM

.... Is there a setting for the new bridle that would bring back some of the depower ?

Did you notice any change when ” playing with the knots” ?  Keeping the F line at the same knot, you should get more de-power by moving the E bridle line farther out on the V2 line, or in other words making E longer by setting it to a knot closer to the end of the V2 line.  Bar pressure will be heavier with the kite sheeted in.

The flat ( span-wise ) shape of the One means no wingtips to crank turns, I compensate by using a wider bar, a 60 cm bar on my 9m helps make it turn tighter.  50 cm bar on the 7m works for me.

I find my 7m more stable in gusty strong winds with the bridle mod, but then I run it with a little less de-power. Maybe also run your 7m on shorter lines ( i.e. take off the 3 m extensions ).

Good to hear you like it. Props to Wisha for trying this first and posting about, which got me interested.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

I will try playing with the “E” line length to see how much depower I gain. But I am curious, when the kite is trimmed to full power and the bar sheeted-in completely, are the wingtips angled-in a bit on your setup ? I noticed the kite turns faster if setup this way. I thought typically with kites if the wingtips are angled-in, they can be slow to turn. Either way it’s all good so I will keep the setup as is.

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

I’ll have a look for this next time I’m out, will let you know.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2007-07-09

PM

Well I finaly got around to doing the mod and what a day to test it.  Started out at 20knots but finished at 25 gusting to 30. 

The mod was an improvement based on this initial go out.  I have to say that the kite performed really well, particulary considering the conditions.  Quite response and it felt smooth.  In these winds I have had the fear of inversion without the mod (justified with some experiences) but I did not get there today.  There was some distortion on the super funky and strong gusts, but better than without the mod.

I was worried that this mod would reduce the kites gust absorbtion feel.  It did not.

A big thanks to Greg and all those that contributed!

Signature

2007 Rise 14M, 12M, 10M.  2011 Rise 8M, 6M.
2011 Razors 12M, 10M, 8M
Pyro Pro

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2011-02-25

PM

Hi guys, Firstly ,it is nice to see that other kiters are also questioning the factory setup and don’t take it as the Alpha and Omega.
I’m new to the sport and bought a 2008 10m Cabrinha Switchblade and a 2010 13m IDS Crossbow.When I asked the guys the tech department why it is that the older kites doesn’t work with IDS they simply said its because of the bridle system, without offering any solution’s. My question is , do any of you guys know of anybody that did a similar mod on the older Cab’s to allow it work properly with the IDS setup. I know it must have something to do with the pulley setup on the bridle , but I do not know how to determine appropriate lengths of the bridle lines. Can someone please help???

Signature

I lOVE THE SMELL OF WIND IN THE MORNING…......  SMELLS LIKE KITING