help sizing OR boots and gloves
Posted: 28 October 2009 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-05-26

I am still looking for better boots and gloves for coldwater kiting and SUP, and since all my kite stuff is now OR I figure I will give the Coldfire stuff a try.  I have not found any sizing information on the website.  Any experience is appreciated:

boot: normally wear a US size 11 shoe

gloves: normally end up with size “large” in other brands (most recently Mystic) and find them to be a little tight on the wrists even though my hands are pretty average-sized.

Also, if anyone has any comments on whether the 5mm gloves work for holding a paddle and retaining enough dexterity to kite, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Andy

Posted: 28 October 2009 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-12-27

I prefer the 5mm OR split toe cold fire boots for SUP and kite. Our water temp here on Vancouver Island is about 8 C (52 F) all year. For a snug fit on a US 11 foot, I would try a size 10.
I hate wearing gloves when I SUP or Kite, so If I have to, I go thin (1mm to 3mm). The OR 3mm glove will work well for colder SUPing. For additional paddle grip while wearing gloves, I rub cold water surf wax on the paddle shaft.

Posted: 29 October 2009 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-03-13

I find the booties run a size large, I normally wear an 11 and have a 10 in the booties. I just use the 5mm, even in the cold water out east in the winter. The 3mm gloves are more than enough for on the SUP, like Richard said, I hate wearing gloves. Normally I use cross country ski gloves for flatwater paddling when it’s cold.

The Cold Fire gear is great.

Signature 

Big Tide Paddle Surfing
Standup paddleboards, Jimmy Lewis, and DaKine dealer
Ocean Rodeo drysuits
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
http://www.bigtidepaddlesurfing.com

Posted: 29 October 2009 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-05-26

Thanks for the information!  I’ll try the 5 mm boots.  I agree about the gloves—I have never found water gloves that I like, but the circulation in my hands is getting worse and worse so I was unrealistically hoping that OR gloves were the magic bullet.  I will not be in waves this winter, so using snowsport gloves for SUP is a good suggestion,

Andy