Mako 150 TOP end
Posted: 28 October 2009 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-10-28

Just got back from a great week in Hatteras with lots of north wind.  We did a bunch of 8-10 mile soundside downwinders in the Pea Island nature preserve.  As much as I love riding waves, I must say that the slicks on those runs were some of the best terrain I have ever ridden.  The first 5 miles of this run is just a maze of super-narrow channels in low grassy areas with the most butter smooth water you have ever seen.  Honestly, it was blowing 30mph and there are parts where there was absolutely not a ripple on the water.

Anyway, I was on my Mako 150 wide (just can’t bring myself to ride my other boards since I got it) and definitely fell like I hit the maximum speed that this board will hold on many occasions.  I was super-powered up on a 10m kite and was going for top speed runs in the slicks.  The Mako stuck like glue to a point (quite high speed), then the back end would just come unglued.  Not really a violent, abrupt slip, but you could definitely feel that the back end was getting more and more squirrley after a blistering fast speed was reached.  I would guess that what I was feeling was the back fin losing touch with the water.  Honestly, I don’t know that I could have held much more speed anyway as my legs were about tapped out for leverage at these speeds.

Anyone else found the top end of the Makos?

Anyway, just wanted to say how much I love the board and hope to add a 140 and possibly a king to my quiver.

Posted: 28 October 2009 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi Windrift,
That must have been killer to ride these flats!
It sounds very familiar to what I have felt when reaching the 30 knots mark on my 140x40. BUT since I mounted a larger fin to the board this ungluing is gone completely!
It goes at the cost of sloppy slidey turning, so to switch you need to olly the board crisply but hey, isn’t that how it should be anyway!
The large fin is harder to ride but unbeatable in terms of carving and tracking, and high end.
I think the sales guys can inform you on availability.

Posted: 28 October 2009 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-10-28

That’s a good call, I think.  I’ve been meaning to pick up some larger fins for my board, mostly for railing the bottom turns in the waves.  I’ve also toyed around with drilling holes and installing flanking fins similar to how the King is set up.  Not sure if I could bring myself to do this to my baby, though.

I do love how you can swing this board around sideways at almost any speed with the stock fins…almost like riding finless in the transitions.

Posted: 28 October 2009 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

don’t worry, snowboard style braking is still available with the larger fin, the sloppy slippy I refer to is with the board flat.
Yeah the Mako is a class on its own!

Posted: 28 October 2009 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20
Windrift - 28 October 2009 03:54 PM

I do love how you can swing this board around sideways at almost any speed with the stock fins…almost like riding finless in the transitions.

I’ve tried finless(140), great feeling, try it!
but when you go back to stock fins after that i think you will refrase the quoted frase, it felt for me like riding on a track again..
the board feels faster (is) without the fins, real snowboard feeling.

Posted: 28 October 2009 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2007-01-03

i waxed my 150 and rode it strapless in waves with one extra deep TFC fin on the back. was epic.

Signature 

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Posted: 29 October 2009 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-09-24

I got the Mako 150 wide a couple months ago and I love it.
I just came off of an older litewave 136 with moderate concave. the makos concave is double+ that of the litewave.
It is perfect for me, I have a bad knee and it soaks up lake chop like crazy and saves my knee.
I am a very lazy 38 year old kiter who has been doing it since the beginning. I really like the board because going upwind, jumping and turning are no brainers.
You actually have to go downwind because you went upwind too much.
Like everyone says it is like a snowboard and I love to ride it in the middle or most of my weight on my front leg.
Great board for small waves too, especially lake waves, no leaning back to go over them just power right through them.
Really nice board OR, great for the guys like me that work all the time and have smashed up bodies and just want to go out and have a good time, ride some waves and boost high.
I kite alone a lot on a point near Oshawa, Ontario where the lake waves get big ( for lake waves ) and I use this board in low to crazy high winds.
It holds down an edge in any wind.
I have a 2010 speed 3 19m flysurfer, 16m and 11m 2010 cabrinha crossbows, I find these kites great matches to my riding style and the mako board.
I tried the 140, but being 225 pounds I find the 150 better for cruzin through lulls and for slow turns without sinking.
If I was a smaller guy I would go for the 140 as there is really no need to have the 150 if you are a medium to small guy ( or girl )
and it fits perfectly under the rear seat in my GMC pickup!!!
Love the board, Thanx OR

Later Guys

Dan

‹‹ Ocean Rodeo Australia      MY QUIVER ››