2 of 2
please make a CCGA pfd/impact vest that work with a waist harness
Posted: 13 October 2009 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

2 miles out!!  I kite betwee 0 and 1000m from shore most times.  I treat kiting more like a sport than a past time so I want a vest that is both flexible and form fitting without any excess.  I’m more interested in impact protection and even warmth over outright flotation.  OR can do this easily enough and I wanted to start the post cause I think there is a sizeable market for them right here at home.  Someone is going to do it properly in the next couple years.  Might as well be first to market with a really good one.

Posted: 13 October 2009 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2009-01-07

“I also wear a helmut…the life jackets that keep your head above water if unconcious are not designed for water sports.”“

Why couldn’t something be put in the helmet to keep your head up. Would it not work if the bouyancy aid kept your body floatin.

Back to the impact bouyancy aid. Gud idea. ^,^

Posted: 13 October 2009 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-09-15

Harry/Brent,

I get where you are both coming from, yes its a sport and no you dont go far from shore, thats all cool. What I am suggesting is that if there is a design for a new PFD/impact vest that is starting from scratch, why not build in pockets so that those people that want to take additional safety aids with them can. If you don’t want to, you don’t have to, simples!

I like to go out prepared (yes I was a boy scout), I currently dont have flares or a radio but if I had somewhere suitable to put them I would. Thats my choice, yours is not to and you probably wont ever need them, hopefully nor will I. Personally I like the saying “better looking at it than for it”. So my request still stands. If someone does design a new one, please build in some pockets for those of us that would like to take stuff out with them smile

Ta

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Posted: 13 October 2009 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20

I like the pocket idea also… can stick a GPS device in it..(if I had one..) or car key.. whatever.

I use a Prolimit impact vest with side opening with velcro, it must be better than that, got good flotation and impact protection on front and back (and some pockets) but the protection on the sides is minimal, not good…

Posted: 14 October 2009 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2006-11-22
Brent4336 - 13 October 2009 02:15 PM

I’d be happy to see it without too many bells and whistles so to speak.  Simple, low profile, comfortable, and approved.  Neoprene, side entry, high cut.  Impact protection, and someting to placate the officials and mothers out there.

Flares, whistles, big knife, GPS, and the like are just not kitesurfing equipment.  Maybe for guys doing crossings and such, but those are exceptions.

The Niel Pryde High Hook vest is the vest you are looking for. I have one. It has a cargo pocket in front and you can buy a backpack yoiu can strap to the back that has a camelback water bag and an additional pocket.

Kirk

Signature 

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Posted: 14 October 2009 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-07-11

Until OR comes out with a CGA impact vest, check out the Liquid Force GCA Approved Vest. 

http://shop.bellinghamkiteboarding.com/2010-Liquid-Force-CGA-Kite-Impact-and-Floatation-Vest-2010-2098097.htm?categoryId=-1

I have personally tested this with a waist harness and can say this would be a great impact vest that also meets the regs.

Price is right too as it is lower cost than many non CGA impact vests. 

In my opinion, this vest offers FAR more impact protection than almost all impact vests.

Thanks,

Andy

PS.  I’d love to see this as an OR product!

PPS.  Interesting thing about LF is that their parent company Motion Sports was founded by the guy who invented and patented the origanal orange life vest that we all know and love (ok.. who am I kidding, nobody loves the orange life vest anymore.. but back in the day it WAS the standard)

Posted: 14 October 2009 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2009-01-07
Janus - 13 October 2009 08:43 PM

I like the pocket idea also… can stick a GPS device in it..(if I had one..) or car key.. whatever.

Pocket on boardshorts is a handy place for anything small enough like car keys, knife or whatever.

Posted: 27 October 2009 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-27

They can do anything…Pockets are usefull…Thanks for sharing the information..

Regards

McJohn

_____
dossier surendettement

2 of 2