please make a CCGA pfd/impact vest that work with a waist harness

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

With Canadian regs about to require it, there is a great little market niche about to further materialize.  Make a good one, and make it look good and Canadians will buy it in numbers.

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Not only Canadians..

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

wow. that sucks.

im glad we dont have to. i bet that rule was also imposed by someone who WASNT a kitesurfer?

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 123

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Hey Brent do you have any info on that new requirement? Could you post a/some links maybe? Sounds like something a lot of us should be checking into…

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Would have to hunt a little so it will have to wait until I have time to waste at work.  Plenty of talk about it on our regional forums.  The cops have made themselves much more of a presence at our local launch the past season and picked up a few of us (me included) last year and let us off with warnings.  I would have little problem with it if there were a vest that fit the job.  Something that only comes down to the solar plexus like the approved kayaking ones, but made of the same materials as a wake vest.  Most guys use kayaking vests, but they have very distinct flotations blocks that bust ribs and contribute to whiplash on big impacts.  A lower profile full wrap side entry approach with neoprene and the soft foam from wake vests cut high enough is a golden egg waiting to be made.  OR have an advantage cause they are the home team to this market and with a good product would make as much of an impact as they have with the pyro.  You see them everywhere!  Other markets would no doubt appreciate it too as the OR fan base is already quite safety conscious.

Edit:  I currently wear a wake vest with the lower part of the flotation taken out.  Looks the part and fits OK but the empty material at the bottom bunches a little.  Helps with warmth and impact protection really well.  So far its the most workable solution Ive found.  That is until dry suit season! but most of the cop boats are out of the water by then.  Make a good one and I might actually wear it for safety reasons!

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Being from law enforcement in Canada I don’t know where the gov. is going with this, I don’t know of one death of a kitesurfer in canada as result of no PFD, but you can ride a bike, snowboard and ski without a helmut and there’s more death and serious injuries from those activities.  Second who’s going to enforce this, law enforcement can hardly keep up with serious crimes, organized crime, smuggling and the list goes on, what a joke.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Either way, there is a very useful product missing from the sport and OR are in a great position with all the necessary manufacturing contacts to get it done well.  I think the first kite company to market with a really good one will walk away with a tidy profit.  The Neil Pride High hook vest is the only one Ive seen that is built with a waist harness in mind.  OR could easily improve on this and make it look and feel more like the current impact vests than the current PFDs.  My consultancy fees are pretty low, in fact I will gladly work for free gear!

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Perhaps a vest that’s integrated into the session harness, everytime I where a vest I find it rides up specially in the waves.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

harry.allerston - 12 October 2009 07:35 AM

im glad we dont have to.

Don’t feel so left out Harry - we’ve plenty of our own asinine laws.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

I have a Neil Pryde vest which works pretty well and doesn’t get in the way, I don’t think its the high hook vest as its a few seasons old, but it is cut to allow for a waist harness I think it was primarily a windsurfing harness, but it works for me.

One thing I would like to see if OR were to look at this would be a pouch/pocket on the vest that could be used to hold a small handheld radio or handheld flare (or 2 pouches, 1 for each). if you’re gonna be safe you might as well offer the chance to be uber safe.

I used to use a military life jacket that had this functionality and whilst I never had to use the contents, the knowledge of having them there was comforting especially if it looked like the proverbial was about to hit the fan…

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

I’d be happy to see it without too many bells and whistles so to speak.  Simple, low profile, comfortable, and approved.  Neoprene, side entry, high cut.  Impact protection, and someting to placate the officials and mothers out there.

Flares, whistles, big knife, GPS, and the like are just not kitesurfing equipment.  Maybe for guys doing crossings and such, but those are exceptions.

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

I was also thinking something that would work also is something built right into the wet suit or dry suit that would act as a PFD similar to a floater but of course not to that extreme.

Jason

Signature

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

I use the Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro Drysuit with the Session 2 harness…it works great…. I am on my third neilpryde high hook floatation device…it has a lanyard inside a big stretchy nylon mesh pocket, that I keep a VHF radio and mirror/whistle, with a magnafied waterproof light tyraped to a shoulder strap… it would be cool if Ocean Rodeo would come out with a slick version of the this..also more custom in design to work with there brand harness and drysuits.  Also no neopren please…...the new breatable material for the pyro pro drysuit would make an exellent cover for a floatation aid allowing the enviromentally friendly foam floatation material to beath and dryout after use.

The coast guard talks about the US standards and water temperture ..Hypothermia
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/pfdselection.asp#recreational

Some companies like neilpryde use the european standards… there standard of floation measurment is in newtons, 1 newton =4.4 lbs of force.

I use the neilpryde high hook ce(europen standard) approved floatation device. it has 50 newtons
the coast guard requires 70 newtons or 15.5 pounds of force for there type 111 rated floatation device, but my dry suit I use holds some air for extra bouyancy.

Image Attachments

VC4906[1].jpeg

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

1956kiteboarder - 13 October 2009 05:57 PM

I use the Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro Drysuit with the Session 2 harness…it works great…. I am on my third neilpryde high hook floatation device…it has a lanyard inside a big stretchy nylon mesh pocket, that I keep a VHF radio and mirror/whistle, with a magnafied waterproof light tyraped to a shoulder strap…

dont mean to cause trouble.. but you sound like you go riding dressed up like inspector gadget? unless you go offshore on crossings i cant see why you need all that stuff at all, it seems needlessly paranoid. and being even more controversial i cant see why you need to wear a flotation device either? this is coming from an experienced sailor who understands the dangers. on a boat theres lots of hard surfaces you could knock yourself out on and then YES i could see how you might need one, but even then if you do get knocked out a bouyancy aid wont keep your head out of the water so you’ll drown anyway.

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

harry.allerston - 13 October 2009 06:03 PM
1956kiteboarder - 13 October 2009 05:57 PM

I use the Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro Drysuit with the Session 2 harness…it works great…. I am on my third neilpryde high hook floatation device…it has a lanyard inside a big stretchy nylon mesh pocket, that I keep a VHF radio and mirror/whistle, with a magnafied waterproof light tyraped to a shoulder strap…

dont mean to cause trouble.. but you sound like you go riding dressed up like inspector gadget? unless you go offshore on crossings i cant see why you need all that stuff at all, it seems needlessly paranoid. and being even more controversial i cant see why you need to wear a flotation device either? this is coming from an experienced sailor who understands the dangers. on a boat theres lots of hard surfaces you could knock yourself out on and then YES i could see how you might need one, but even then if you do get knocked out a bouyancy aid wont keep your head out of the water so you’ll drown anyway.[/quote

I also wear a helmut…the life jackets that keep your head above water if unconcious are not designed for water sports. Your buddies, the Coast Guard, and saftey aids are important…

The thread is about life jackets…..and if you are in Canada..looks like it will be mandatory…I kite two miles out from the launch..with a stong current…

My two new Fully Breathable Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro drysuits just arrived from Fedex…..COOL!

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

fair enough then! thats quite sensible.

all beaches over here seem to be on shallow water within about half a mile of shore so i see that as quite safe. if i was 2 miles offshore i’d probably do the same!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll