1 of 3
Poll
How do you use the valve clips at the struts of your kite?
I close them all every time I go out 37
I close just one 3
I only close them when it’s hairy out there 6
I never touch them 11
Valve clips? Say what? 2
Total Votes: 59
You must be a logged-in member to vote
POLL ALERT One-pump strut valve clips, (how) do you use them?
Posted: 09 September 2009 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13

In the Rise Venturi XPD topic an interesting (at least for some of us) conversation broke out about the use of the valve clips, I’m moving these posts in this new topic here.
So Ladies and Gentlemen of The Crew, share your ideas and knowledge here, and don’t forget the poll!

Posted: 09 September 2009 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2007-11-20
El Rudo - 09 September 2009 08:21 AM

Inflated struts - there’s no real need for that as the time you win by not pumping them you easily loose over closing the strut valves. I wonder who uses them all the time - if at all, I only use them when it’s really really hairy.

I clip them off every time I go out.  Unfortunately I’ve had too many leading edges blow out over the years, and at least with the struts holding air, I can make a raft and swim in.

Also, I like to keep the struts inflated so that after washing the kite out, I can stand it up in the garage and let it dry out.  Although 2 of the struts on my 12m seem to deflate when the LE is empty.  I’ve still not worked out where the air is going.  So currently, I roll the kite up with the struts up and carry it back to the van as is.  Makes my arms ache though. grin

Signature 

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Posted: 09 September 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2008-05-13

Unfortunately I’ve had too many leading edges blow out over the years, and at least with the struts holding air, I can make a raft and swim in.

I usually clip down only the middle strut. I beleive that is enough if the LE blows, I will be able to roll the kite and pack it in the water and the kite will not drown. I have not test this though and hope I will never have to. If someone knows more in this subject, please enlighten us!
Greetings,
Jaros

Posted: 09 September 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2006-10-24

Every time for me. You never know.

Signature 

The only kiter in the Village

Posted: 09 September 2009 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2009-01-07

Really handy cause ders a fella I know whos practicing handlepasses and he dosent use the velcro covring the leading edge valve so that when the kite falls it dosent pop.Witthout the clips you’d have to pump the whole kite up every time.

Posted: 09 September 2009 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

This is a must for everyone kiting in San Francisco, where a completely flat kite could mean the end of it all. We have to be able to use the kite to self rescue, stay afloat, and for a visual aid for the Coast Guard and the tankers and everything else in the shipping channel. Going out the Gate with a downed kite on a 4 knot ebb in heavy fog is scary enough as it..it would be just plain horrible with a completely flat kite. No one with any common sense/experience would buy a kite here if it did not have the clips. This is also why everyone buys/orders kites in bright colors only. grin

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 09 September 2009 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2009-06-01

I never close them, but reading this i think i wil close them when i go out on the sea.

Posted: 09 September 2009 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-06

So far I’ve closed them all each session.

Signature 

andy

Dorset UK

Posted: 09 September 2009 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-10-03

I always close them. Why would anyone not ?
It takes almost no time at all.
Cheers

Posted: 09 September 2009 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2008-10-01

Honestly, I don’t use them to often , but they are a must.

charley

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo Rep.
St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada

Posted: 09 September 2009 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2006-04-18

I usually close all of them.

If I am working on something where I expect the kite to crash hard I leave the middle strut clamp open - “so the air has somewhere to go” when the leading edge slams into the water. 

Faulty logic probably but makes sense to me

Posted: 10 September 2009 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

I leave them open so the pressure has somewhere to go when the kite takes a hard hit.
They are very handy when you want to leave the struts inflated for another session later in the day,
or if you want to dry the kite out. So I do use them, just on land though.
They are also very nice to have when you want to isolate a leak in one of the bladders.
It helped me locate a slow leak caused by a thorn in the LE a few weeks ago.

Posted: 11 September 2009 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-10-04

I always close them all.  I crash my kite a lot on a suicide leash, and on hard crashes, the inflate or deflate valve pops open.  It’s nice to have the struts inflated for the long swim in.  I’ve had leaks in struts as well.  Kites fly pretty well with one or two flat struts, not so well with a floppy leading edge.

Posted: 12 September 2009 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-01-18
kiterMD - 11 September 2009 01:07 PM

I always close them all.  I crash my kite a lot on a suicide leash, and on hard crashes, the inflate or deflate valve pops open.  It’s nice to have the struts inflated for the long swim in.  I’ve had leaks in struts as well.  Kites fly pretty well with one or two flat struts, not so well with a floppy leading edge.

In your case the in or deflate valve would not open if you leave the strut valve clips open.
I never close them..but I’m always near the beach wink

Posted: 13 September 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2006-11-22

I close them all the time. I had to self rescue last week and that is enough said…

regards
Kirk

Signature 

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Posted: 13 September 2009 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-09-13

I am sorry but I never touch them at all!

Signature 

Cabrinha Convert IDS

1 of 3