I am currently riding the 150 Mako Wide 09 (weigh 185lbs) and find it is the best allround board I tried so far. However recently I was demoing a Mako Classic 08, and really liked the speed of that board.
But I am not sure whether to get one, because it has quite a few downsides over the Wide: Less planning = bigger kite, not as smooth.. At full speed I also had more pressure on the front foot, which felt not really healthy when the front leg was fully extended. Also, the concave defeats the purpose of riding fast a bit.
For those reasons, I though about getting a race board, and have a few questions about it:
- Is the “top speed” better than on the Mako Classic?
- How do both compare in heavy chop?
- How is the footbalance, comparing both?
- How does the body position look like when going fast on the race board? Poo stance? Pictures appreciated
- Are race boards generally more tiring to ride?
- Is the angle of the fins adjustable? Generally I want to ride fast and not too much upwind.
- How does it ride toeside?
- Does it slide out in turns?
- How is the downwind performance compared to the Classic? Harder to control?
- Are wider and shorter race boards generally better upwind and worse downwind?
- Is jumping possible on the race board, or what are the main reasons not to do it?
That’s it so far