2 of 3
ONE BRIDLE MOD – DYNAMIC FRONT / REAR LINE DIRECT
Posted: 08 September 2009 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2008-11-03

line lengths.

Just wrote a ‘how to’ on line lengths, but it dissapered when I posted it. Maybe it’s a Firefox thing, annoying :(

In short, run the kite bridles behind the kite (mimicking as if it was in the air at 12).

get someone to tilt the kite forward slightly (mimicking the kite in a depowered position)

Now move the front pulley to its longest position, ie bottom of the V.

Now add the rear line leader to match the length of your front pulley leader. (put knots above and below for adjustment). see pic.

When trying it out pull in a heap of depower just in case you have made your front lines too short. Then let it out accordingly.

Image Attachments
Pic 7.jpg

Posted: 08 September 2009 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Pic note - sorry, should mention that this isn’t where the pulley would be when they are equal length. This pic was to just show the concept. Also, make sure you attach your pulleys correctly, not with larks heads as shown.

Posted: 09 September 2009 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2006-10-24

Cant see what’s wrong there. Larks head has been used by others quite successfully.

Anyway I’m nearly sorted. I’ve found the 3m extensions will make the longer “half” of the big V. I just need to add a small running pulley line and get the rear lines sorted. Again I’ve used the 3m extensions here. A good test and tune then.

it’ll be interesting to see how this performs as the length of bridle obviously increases the overall line length. I was using 24m lines previously.

Signature 

The only kiter in the Village

Posted: 10 September 2009 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Larks head works fine on the pulley, however to increase longevity it is advised to make a small loop so that the pulley can move/ twist freely (described in this forum earlier).
Anyway,
As for the total distance from bar to the kite increasing this is true, however it still flies much faster, plus you get the added benefit of a longer power stroke.win win!
Eager to see how the 9m goes.

Posted: 14 September 2009 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2006-05-30

Here is my most recent adjustments to the dynamic bridle mod :

In the centre of the kite, from LE attachment point 1, a 156.5 cm line that connects to the ‘G’ line ( 124 cm ) coming from the second LE attachment points   I used to have my ‘E’ line here, but found when I went to single front line leash, instead of flagging the kite out evenly, all the load was on just two LE attachment point ( #1 & #4 - too far apart ! ). Making this change spreads the load more evenly when the kite is released to single front-line leash.

The second mod I’ve made, after some PM discussions with Wisha, is a line from the pulley attachment point to the outboard side of the lower ~ 6 m V-line. This addition moves the pull from the front line bridles just a little bit back, putting more of the kites pull on the front lines and reduces rear line loads, reducing the pull on the bar when sheeted in.  With this mod, the bar is much lighter; although it does reduce the amount the kite will de-power, only slightly I found.

I have my ‘C’ bridle line ( 78 cm ) coming from LE point #4 connected to a 63 cm line from the pulley point. Note that I made this line with lots of adjustment knots, started with it long, and adjusted it shorter about an inch at a time, until I found the sweet spot of low bar pressure, but still lots of de-power. If you go too far, the kite will be locked into a powered postion all on the front lines, no de-power if you sheet out, so be careful with this line if you try one - test it in lighter winds with lots of downwind margin!

General comments - after another long session with it, I think this is about as good as it gets for a good balance of low bar loads, de-power, and turning.  There was a factory-bridled 12m One out at the same time, useful for comparing the two kites’ turning radii with the bars fully cranked to one side. IMO, the direct rear line doesn’t make the kite turn a whole lot tighter ( smaller radius ) than the factory bridle, but it does eliminate the 1/2 second lag between cranking the bar over and the kite turning. The flatness of the kite across its wingspan doesn’t give it the wingtips of a C or hybrid kite that make those kites turn so fast. But as Wisha pointed out, that flatness does give the kite incredible lift, for tons of upwind ability and float in jumps.

What’s next for me - probably this same mod on my 9m One, making the V’s smaller of course.

After that, maybe I’ll try a bar with pulleys on the tips or steering lines like Naish have on their 2:1 SLE bar to have another go at more turning speed. Now that the rear line loads are reduced, doubling them at the bar may be tolerable.

Signature 

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Posted: 15 September 2009 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-24

Good stuff again

my 9m is nearly ready but I haven’t had a fair chance at setting and trimming the rear lines. First and very early impressions aren’t bad though. Quicker, more direct and yes lighter on the bar. More to come.

Is this sketch right?

I personally wouldn’t try the pulley bar system. In my opinion it’s horrible having tried it on another brand. I lasted 5 minutes. No feedback at the bar, huge bar pressure and it feels like it locks. I would however have a look at the 3 pulley system as used on the Best Nemesis. Increases the depower for the same amount of bar throw.

A side thought does anyone know or remember what bridle system is used on the Eric Hertsen kites? From memory they are also extremely flat. Might be some ideas there

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2009 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-05-30

Non noo - yes, your sketch is it.

Thanks for your comments about pulleys on the bar.  I haven’t seen any EH kites up close, but know that Eric does good work, so definitely worth considering.

Hope your 9 flies well !

Signature 

Comox Kite Repair

Posted: 16 September 2009 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-24

Cheers fella

Just looking at that sketch of mine and we might be getting close to something here. I’m not sure how the above bridle looks in the sky but it kind of looks a little out of shape to me - my sketching most likely. I’m going to have a look around to see what others do I think. The above is close but not quite there somehow. Your thoughts Greg / Wisha

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2009 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-05-30

Non noo -  your sketch is right on, this is a much longer bridle ( long V-loops ) than on any other kite I’ve seen, but it does hold the kite in its designed flat shape. When I did the previous Mod 1 bridle, the kite was bent into more of a ‘C’ shape, which probably loads the fabric in the mid-span of the kite and isn’t good for the long-term health of the kite. The inboard smaller V isn’t long enough to snare a strut end. The outboard lower V is bloody long and could wrap the wing-tip, but it’s probably so long that it ought to allow the wingtip to untangle. I really need some more wicked kite crashes with it to say for sure.

Give it a go, I bet you will be pleased with the results.

Signature 

Comox Kite Repair

Posted: 17 September 2009 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Noo Noo, the bridle will be a bit different to most as it is basically the creation of a 5 point bridle in a 6 point system. The large V could get smaller, but it could snare a tip if it gets too short. I’m happy enough with the setup, it loops well and has so much more grunt than before. As a bonus by adding a series of knots at point F (as Greg has) you can adjust the bar pressure to whatever you want, all the way to zero. Not many modern kites offer that. I actuall got told today that the new 2010 OR kite that I have flies well…Ha!

Posted: 06 October 2009 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-24

Right I’ve finally got round to trimming and test flying this. So far I’m only on the bridle without the two extra add ons. More testing needed but I must say it all looks very encouraging on the 9m.

Firstly the kite is damn powerful. Plenty of low end.

Steering is obviously a lot sharper and bar pressure is reduced. Still some there but definately less.

No here’s the real bonus - it’s stable!! Set the stopper, still leaving loads of throw on the bar and just let go with the kite at the zenith. It JUST SITS THERE!!

I really need some water time on this now to reassess the range, performance etc. but the change certainly hasn’t done any harm to date

Signature 

Posted: 07 October 2009 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Another convert, glad you like it wink Extra add ons give even more stability and bar pressure can go as low as you want.

Posted: 07 October 2009 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-24

Still a bit aprehensive but some good testing is definately needed now. I really want to see how it behaves under load - kite loops and stuff where things can deform. Need to crash it too. I want to see how the bridles behave.

Signature 

Posted: 07 October 2009 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-05-30

Go to it, (Noo)x2. I’ve now done all my Ones ( 12, 9, and 7 ), old Riley pulleys are cut off, now I just need some decent wind to really test out the smaller sizes.

So far I’ve seen this dynamic bridle on a ‘09 Cab Switchblade that my friend just purchased, and have a look at this pic of the new North delta kite, the 2010 Fuse :

Picture is from the SBC Kiteboarding magazine website report on the 2010 Kiting Trade Show in Hood River ( http://sbckiteboard.com/features?news_id=1133&uniqid=1502 )

Not the highest resolution, but I would say we’re looking at the dynamic bridle.

Signature 

Comox Kite Repair

Posted: 08 October 2009 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-24

yes I’ve noticed a similar bridle on the Switchblade and the Bandit Dos too.

Signature 

2 of 3