ONE BRIDLE MOD – DYNAMIC FRONT / REAR LINE DIRECT
Here is a slightly more modern bridle mod, yet still really simple to do. This mod removes the static front bridles allowing the kite to find an optimum position regardless where it sits in the wind window. The direct rear line obviously increases turning response and greatly improves re-launch abilities.
You will need several meters of suitable bridle line
As a bonus, such a mod can be used on many different old SLE/ Bow bridled kites as it is a dynamic auto adjusting set-up.
Once again I have tried to utilise as much of the original bridle as I can and once again, you should be able to follow this mod for all kite sizes – I have included measurements for the 12m 2006 for reference)
(PLEASE NOTE – the original bridle lines were not made to resist abrasion from pulleys, so I would suggest replacing lines ‘E’ with a more suitable line - I have made it so line ‘E’ is easily changed over at any stage).
Part 1 .
Remove all bridle lines from the kite. You may want to make several of these simple little ‘2 knots on a piece of line’ adapters. I found them useful for making the bridle quickly and easily changed by simple larks heads. See pics 1 -3
Part 2 .
Make a ‘V’ using lines G,E,I, with a pulley running on line E. Attach to the 2nd and 3rd points from the inflation valves on the leading edge. See Pics 4 and 5. In this case the total length of the V made from joining all the pieces on the 12m was approx 333cm. This makes sure the bridle will never wrap around a strut tip.
Now starting from the newly added pulley, make another large V that runs well clear of the struts on the kite See Pic 6. Attach another pulley to this line and then attach the other end of the V to the next attachment point on the leading edge (F attachment point). This pulley will be where you will attach your front lines, so add a suitable attachment pigtail. Your rear line will need to match this point See Pic 7.
You could use your left over bridle lines to make this, and simply add small sections at the bottom of the V, similar to what we have done with E above. However, at around 50c a meter, new V’s probably wont break the bank.
For reference, the 12m second V total line length is 5.9m – I made it this length as I have used the line extensions that came with the OR Bar as my new rear lines. This V could be smaller, some feedback from other uses could help to see how small we can make this V without the kite becoming too ‘twitchy’.
Add a long pigtail to the rear attachment point (direct single line). I used 2 of the OR line extensions (one for each side) as I don’t use them usually. These need to be the same length as the front line attachment points when the front line V’s are extended as long as they can and the kite is tilted forward (as if it were depowered in the air). If in doubt, make the rear lines slightly longer. It should appear longer when the kite is sitting normally on the ground. See Pic 8 - ignore the line coming from the old pulley location, it is currently not used. This may be a future add on that provides heavier bar feel when the kite is overhead (better jumping feedback) but light as a feather when in the park and ride position. Haven’t seen this done by any other manufacturer yet – Anyone want to give me a job
*Sorry I couldn’t upload all photos as there is only a 150kb limit.