3 sessions on 12m Diablo

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-10-04

PM

I finally got a few sessions in on my new 12m Diablo, and I’m lovin it!

First session was underpowered on a 6’x19” surfboard, side-on at 15-18mph with the current, wind chop and small waves.  Not the best conditions to test a kite, but i’d been off the water for two or three weeks.  Had some trouble staying upwind in the lulls, but if I got some boardspeed, I could make the ground back.  The kite turns and flys fast, so developing apparent wind is easy.

Second session was just powered on a 130x39, side on at 16-21mph with the current, wind chop and small waves.  No problems getting upwind, great conditions for unhooking.  Took some time getting used to the speed of the kite (used to 06 Vegas), but it feels better unhooked and hooked in. 

Third session was powered on a 130x39, side on at 17-22mph with the current, wind chop and small waves.  Epic session!  Perfect for unhooking with a little depower, and jumping powered up. 

Overall impressions:  The kite turns and flys fast, and likes to be ridden fast and aggressively.  Certainly not a light wind kite, but 16mph is a decent low end for a 12m C-kite for a 170lb rider on a smaller twin tip.  Bar pressure is lighter than the vegas, but more constant through the sheeting range, no sudden increase when unhooked.  The kite flys off the back lines a good bit, so it’s easy to keep track of.  Unhooked was great, solid power coming off the water, then some slack to finish the trick without getting pulled off axis.  Jumping was fun as well, solid yank off the water and decent hangtime for a C-kite, and the fast redirects were nice. 

Looks like 15-20 for the next two days, can’t wait for the next session!

Image Attachments

P7260048.jpg

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2007-09-13

PM

Nice, thanks for posting.  There aren’t enough posts on the Diablo!  I received my 12m Diablo about a week and a half ago and it’s only been out of the bag once to fly it in light wind on the beach.  Since that day I’ve had 4 really powered up sessions on my 8m Rise.  It’s either no wind or 20-35 knots.  If it sounds like I’m complaining I’m really not.  I’m stoked to try really try out the Diablo though.  Once I do I’ll post up here.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2006-05-24

PM

Seeing how you like the diablo so much i have a 2007 with bar and lines in excellent condition for $225.00. Red,Yellow combo

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

The Diablo rocks.  Stoked OR make this kite.  Much happier with my riding since switching.  Had my season’s best session yesterday.  Still grinning.

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

MD fella - are you saying this baby is better / on a par with a 2006 Vegas?    Very very popular kite that one.

Full marks to OR if they have

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2007-10-04

PM

For how I fly it, it’s a better replacement for my Vegas (which is in tatters) than the 09 vegas.  It turns and flys faster than the 06 vegas, and as a result, it is a little less stable and more technical to fly, i.e. less “user friendly”.  The vegas made everyone feel like a rock star, the diablo is just what the rockstar ordered (not that i’m a rockstar, just a comparison…)  I can’t wait to try out the 10 and the 8 in some decent wind. 

I like the bar better as well, it’s nice and clean, at least it is now after I took off the OS handles, don’t think they’re necessary with a kite killing 5th line.  The included large chicken loop is pretty sweet too, and easy to change out.  The quick release fires a little too easy, but it’s even easier to reset, even while flying the kite one handed.  My only gripe is with the bag.  It would be nice if it had some straps on the outside to attach a board, harness, pump, second kite, etc. on the back.

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

Thanks for the review MD, I haven’t got the chance to try the Diablo yet. I learned kitesurfing years ago with the old 2 lines/ 4 lines c kites, I still love the ones made in 2005-2006, thats was a great year for the 5th line kites and 4 lines (North Rhino, Cabrinha CO2, etc)

I miss that old c kite feeling honestly, I am not crying here or complaining, my 10m and 12m Rises are awesome, they are great kites and thats the reason I still don’t have a c kite in my personal quiver. I tried the Vegas 07 and 08 i think, and didn’t like it much, I will be considering to add a 12m Diablo to my personal quiver.

cheers
ch

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.
St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada

Joined 2007-09-13

PM

kiterMD, have you had any sessions on the 10m or 8m yet?  I’m loving the 12m but torn what my next size down should be.  I was happy up to 22-25 knots on the 12 so I think a 10m is a good fit for the 22-30 knots.  Might need a good 30 knots to start the 8m?

Hope to see some more try out the Diablos.  The Rises are sick and they should have a huge fan base, but hopefully a few more pick up a Diablo to try.

Joined 2007-10-04

PM

I only have the 12 and the 6, and haven’t had enough wind for the 6 yet, even with a surfboard.  Hopefully someone else can sort you out…

Joined 2007-09-13

PM

Ahh, no worries…  it sounded like you had a few sizes.