ONE -  Light bar pressure mod up in tech forum

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-11-03

PM

Hi guys, just letting you know that I put phase 1 of the ONE mod up (bar pressure reduction, low end) in the tech forum. Is under the single direct connect for ONE thread.
Was going to put it in a new thread as it will never really be a single rear line attachment, seperate and direct yes, but not single. Anyways if interested have a look.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

John Z - are the Aussie RILEY RM 302 pulleys used on the LE of the One still available ? 

IMO, with their brass sheave, they wear the line running through them much less than the all-plastic Ronstan pulleys used on the Rise. The sheave on the Ronstan has an injection-molding gate scar that chews the line running over it when the pulley gets jammed with sand.

Can you set up at least one retailer per country willing to mail-order out pulleys for One bridle mods ?  If Wisha’s mods deliver the goods, I’ll be looking for a dozen good little pulleys ...

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Joined 2008-11-03

PM

Just my two cents. I have used Ronstan pulleys, I found the brass tends to corrode and the squeek isn’t great. Also, I have heard less than great reviews on the Riley units (and they are Australian made- shame on us).

Ideally there would be no pulleys, but you can’t really get the best of fast turning, light bar, good depower, kiteloop pull etc etc without soemthing moving to provide benefits. I currently no longer use the rear pulley at point H on the ONE.
Found a static V with the bias towards the rear works well and increases turn speed dramatically. Direct line can also work, but it’s not great in gusty winds.  But more about that when I have tested it more thoroughly.

*Please note none of my mods have made the ONE turn anywhere near as well as the RISE.

However, it has made a huge improvement. This kite is great for Speed (I was having a great ‘up wind’ time in 14 knots -12m ONE, 133 Cab Custom board - no fins, 88kg) and BIG floaty jumps (they crack me up) and half descent for wake style. To put it in perspective I was able to generate more speed than a 2009 12m Best Nemesis in the same conditions.

Previously I couldn’t get upwind on a 133cm board until 20 knots, and jumping/ loops were just a mess. Remember this is the 2006 model 12m (pretty heavy).

As for loops and I would say waves (haven’t tried the ONE in the waves ,but I think it would be too twitchy) the RISE wins hands down. The ONE is just good old Free ridin’ fun

Joined 2008-11-03

PM

I have put Part 2 - ONE - Improved turning response guide up in the tech area.