2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi XPD!!!

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Crew!
Can you imagine I did a lot of work for the bar, and never flew the 2010 kites up until today! OR wanted the first batches to go out to customers around the globe first.
I had the 10m out for an hour or so today in 18 - 23 knots, the kite feels a bit different from the 2008 10m which I rode a lot, and I must say in a very positive way. Timing for jumping is less critical (you’re going up big, regardless how or when you pull the trigger), and the term I had going around in my mind was “power delivery”. Power everywhere, far in the edge of the wind window, in jumps, turns, vertical, horizontal, wherever the kite is there’s this constant pull!  So smooth through turns and downloops! One remarkable difference with the 08 and 09 5 strutters is the improvement to the venturi system, it kicks in as soon as the kite gets air flowing over it. When you’re new to these kites you’ve got to pay some attention to this, keep the air flowing and the power is yours.

Awesome job Ross!

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

I’m thinking of switching to 2010 rises this year- posted question about grunt of rise in comparison to kahoonas On kiteforum which have a ton of low end.  I’ve seen a few comments here like el rudos previos post about needing to get air flowing to generate the power.  I’ve had other brand kites with similar power delivery- power thru flying it fast to generate apparent wind.  I’m a big boy and like grunt on demand to get thru white water/break zone. 

Does the 2010 rise have this grunt on demand or do you have to fly the crap out of it to get going?

Thanks- new bar and kites look great- seems brand Is gaining traction.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

How do you mean “grunt on demand”?
Like…just pull the bar towards you and tighten the flying lines without sineing the kite?
Throwing the kite into a series of sine waves, is this what you mean by “flying the crap out of it”?

Which kites are you flying now?
(this will help to figure out what you are looking for)

ps-that is a really good thread by you on kiteforum!

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

or13 - 04 January 2010 02:21 AM

I’m thinking of switching to 2010 rises this year- posted question about grunt of rise in comparison to kahoonas On kiteforum which have a ton of low end.  I’ve seen a few comments here like el rudos previos post about needing to get air flowing to generate the power.  I’ve had other brand kites with similar power delivery- power thru flying it fast to generate apparent wind.  I’m a big boy and like grunt on demand to get thru white water/break zone. 

Does the 2010 rise have this grunt on demand or do you have to fly the crap out of it to get going?

Thanks- new bar and kites look great- seems brand Is gaining traction.

Power delivery on the 2010 Rise comes easy and doesn’t need manic sining at all. One stroke gets you going. The 10m I have now feels noticeably more powerful than the 2008 which was my former best kite ever - when that one came out the story already was to buy one size smaller. My comment on “keeping air flowing” is mostly about flying it with some board speed, in order to milk the venturi effect for this turbo feeling you need have some feeling for the bar position. Some 1st time venturi riders forget to do that and manage to stall the kite.
The idea is that the venturi allows you to power up more, but as soon as you enter a lull you need to push out the bar to keep the air flowing. The kite will keep pulling!
Think of it as a high aspect ratio kite in a medium AR formplan, so there’s quick and smooth turning combined with the advantages of a highly effective canopy.
click to see the venturi effect explained
I’m 98kg and I will fly the 10m from 16-17 knots on the Mako 140. If you’re not in the position to test one, try to get the 100% satisfaction guarantee thing from you dealer. Good luck!

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

craig - exactly- kahoonas have amazing grunt on first stroke- but high end is super squirrelly.  bunch of higher aspect kites ive had are great for flat water or when up to speed, but suck worse than swine flu in beach break w/ decent sized waves..  and yes- fly the crap out of it = sine it like 5x or more to get any pull and yelling at the kite to get going while a wave is coming at you.

el rudo - thanks - you answered my questions.  kahoona is a great kite but lacks that 5th gear.  ill give the new rises a go for 2010. 

one more question - the rises have tendency to rip on the venting insert?

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Ripping on the venting insert? You mean inflation valves? Or the Venturi?

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

venturi part

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Haha I did that one, or rather a couple of double overhead sets in the Portuguese Atlantic did. Pretty unique achievement, I’d say the answer to your question is NO! I was prepared to find that kite completely ripped up that day. Got it repaired for free at the sewing shop, 10 seconds work.
These kites are build to last, quite a lot of schools use them for their low repair costs and excellent service in case something does go wrong.

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Stug, we’ve added in odd sizes for 2010 - please click on the ” size chart ” here: http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/rise

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

craig myers - 04 January 2010 02:48 AM

ps-that is a really good thread by you on kiteforum!

Damnit, you cant say that and not post a link!!!!! Or the thread title! smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

``I was amazed with the bottom end of my 7M 2010`Rise ... I swear 15-17 knots & it was just fine ... It’s able to generate lots of power if you sine it continually in the lulls on fast turning ... Yet the slow setting would be great for a beginner.``Of course I was using the 150x40 MAKO.``I think the previous generation 8M would have been hard pressed to match the power `!!! & the 2010 handles more ‘C’ like ... Reminds me of the 9M BRONCO but with gobs of depower ```````````````````

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

Hello all,

Today i (70kg’s) was on the 2010 10m Rise for the 2nd time in 16-20 knots, i’m new to OR and i flew the North Evo before this one.

There is something really different between these two, i can’t really figure out how i get power in the kite because it’s like the kite is going stall so fast (i’ve had the steeringlines on the 2nd knot, maybe better on the first knot?).
Someone can tell me how i fly this kite at it best, because i’m not used to the Venturi system.

I don’t have long arms so this is a bit difficult for me because i noticed you really need to depower alot, is there something i can change ? I’m used to the North bar and you have like half of it’s depower and you can turn off/on the power so much easier.

Although i’ve had a few nice air’s with and one time it pulled me so hard of the water that was just insane haha !
Really need to get used to this new kite and the timing to get a big air, did some kiteloops and that was alot more powerful then the North evo.

Really like this kite but sometimes i get frustrated because i can’t get the power in the kite, think that i’m doing something wrong.

Greetings Tim.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hey Tim, welcome to the crew dude!

Great to see that you’re on Rise kites now, and I’m convinced you’ll be dialed in to the kite quickly. You are the guy informing about OR gear on a Dutch forum, if I remember correctly? If so, today was a frosty eastern which usually is gusty around here.

There is a difference in flying with the venturis, with these kites you need to push out the bar a bit once you’ve got it pulling, in order to keep the flow going. Sounds like you’re hanging on to the bar too much. I’m a big guy @ 100kg and I fly the 10m Rise from 16 knots to the mid 20’s - I haven’t touched the high end of the 2010 yet.
I’m not familiar with the EVO kites, but you may need to experiment with larger movements of the bar. I find myself using some 40 cm of bar moving range on a regular session. Maybe take in 10 or 15 cm of trim line when it’s windy.

Jumping: I think there are many different ways, and everything you’re used from other kites applies here too. It helps to send the kite with the bar a little bit out (10cm or so) so the kite builds up speed and lift, and at the precious take off moment, yank the bar in. When you reach the zenith, slowly move the bar away, float a bit,  and send it down for a smooth landing.
This is my home brew way, I’m sure other Crew members can tell you more.
cheers,
Rudo

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

Yes that’s me El Rudo, today i went to Enkhuizen and it was 2 degrees with ice on bar and lines shock

The wind wasn’t really steady, sometimes had to sine the kite and that’s where i lost the power maybe it was just the wind but i notice that with this kite you really have to depower alot to keep being powered.
But when there is enough wind it really gets you in ‘race mode’ i kept on moving so fast.

I just ‘increased’ the (steering) lines length (behind the floater) with 1 knot so that i can keep the bar as close to me as possible, hope this will work for my short arms smile