7 of 7
And so it begins…..2010 Mako King!!!!
Posted: 19 August 2010 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2008-11-09
michaelt - 18 August 2010 11:06 PM

I loved my Mako King, but… believe it or not - recently sold it.

Probably a month ago this would have sounded like an absolutely crazy idea. Mako King was super fun from the first ride… unlike my other board, a true directional. I couldn’t figure out how to ride that one even after several weeks (even months), and that is despite the fact that Mako King is the closest thing to a directional board. I was so frustrated, and was just about to sell the directional, when suddenly… IT HAPPENED: the ride became smooth, the upwind angle became unreal, carving, and even jumps became better. At that point the directional was the only thing I wanted to ride. I took Mako King a few times, but each time it felt too uncomfortable (same issues that many others have mentioned: no ducking, and too stiff straps that hurt).

That was then when Mako King lost any point for me. So I sold it.

So here are my conclusions. Mako King is indeed the best investment you can make if you want to transition to a true directional. The progress you can make on this board is unparalleled, especially learning to ride toeside. However, this is just a learning board (as I see it, of course). As someone well said on kiteforum.com: Mako King is VERY good in many aspects (e.g. riding in light winds, or carving like a directional), but does NOT really excel in any of them in particular.

And the last advantage of Mako King - the board almost doesn’t depreciate, and is very easy to sell wink

PS…....I like it a lot more with the deck pad/straps, the traditional pad/straps just do not work on this board.

I want to thank OR for making such a fantastic board! However, it’s time to move on…

Yeah I kinda agree, I only ride the King when it’s too light to really boost on my Mako 140. Everytime I bring it out, I love it even more, it’s just such a fun smooth ride. With that said, I do feel like it’s a stepping stone to a directional, and to build familiarity with riding toeside.

Posted: 24 August 2010 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

cool smile
I dig how the king can handle a huge wind range and still be a fun ride!

Posted: 29 August 2010 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-04-01

I just tried mine for the first time in really light pretty flat water. I’m running in mutant twinzer mode ( ordered a second large fin and blocked middles holes).
Pretty sweet. Tired it back to back with Airush Exile and it goes up wind virtually as well but the Exile was sporting micro fins (1.25”) to be fair. Still good enough that Exile is redundant.
Even in mutant mode it goes “backward” without much thought. Next test is chop and waves (hopefully next couple of days in advance of Earl).

Btw- the pads are comfy but the straps don’t work for my feet (size 10, no instep and narrow)- I could not get them tight enough which is good to angle yer feet but not much else. They are also hard on feet. Better straps are in order.

Posted: 01 September 2010 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-01

Two more days; 17-22kts and side on waves (4-7’).
The board is awesome. Handles chop well and is dreamy in waves. Not quick and slashy just holds a nice smooth line for mellow soul type surfing. The footpads are wonderful. The foot straps stink. Too big and hard.

I recommend trying in TT/Mutant mode with two big fins out back- rox.

Posted: 01 September 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Ritter, great to see you enjoy the board - thanks for the post and welcome to the Crew! Stoked to have you on our gear!!

Please give us a call at 888-544-4969 to discuss your strap concerns. I’d like to get a sense of exactly what issues you have and if we might be able to help sort you out! Generally speaking people have been stoked on our Bliss Strap system, so I’d like to ensure we keep you on board too! (so to speak, lol)

JZ

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 02 September 2010 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-01

Others can weigh in but as I said the straps even at their tightest don’t secure my feet. To place the pads where I want them the footstraps end up being spaced too wide to secure laterally and then they won’t cinch down enough to secure vertically.

As a result my feet slide all the way to the point where the bottom of my ankle bone hits the upper strap edge. Annoying most of the time but painful when leaning fwd on bottom turns. That edge is hard. Even if they fit properly the strap themselves are not very cush.
I put an old pair of Airush straps on and the fit and comfort allowed me to kite for +10 hours in 2 days. Never could have done that with the stockers.

So if you are asking me (and I guess that you are) IMO they need better padding and to be sized a little smaller to allow for smaller narrower feet. They look good but don’t match the superior quality of the rest of the board

But overall this board is just klller. 2nd best bit of kiting kit I’ve ever bot (after Mystic Warrior harness).
Whoever conceived and designed this was thinking out of the box- and successfully!

If you’d still like to chat I can call you.

Cheers.

Posted: 08 September 2010 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2010-07-05
Ritter - 02 September 2010 01:57 PM

Others can weigh in but as I said the straps even at their tightest don’t secure my feet. To place the pads where I want them the footstraps end up being spaced too wide to secure laterally and then they won’t cinch down enough to secure vertically.

As a result my feet slide all the way to the point where the bottom of my ankle bone hits the upper strap edge. Annoying most of the time but painful when leaning fwd on bottom turns. That edge is hard. Even if they fit properly the strap themselves are not very cush.
I put an old pair of Airush straps on and the fit and comfort allowed me to kite for +10 hours in 2 days. Never could have done that with the stockers.

So if you are asking me (and I guess that you are) IMO they need better padding and to be sized a little smaller to allow for smaller narrower feet. They look good but don’t match the superior quality of the rest of the board

But overall this board is just klller. 2nd best bit of kiting kit I’ve ever bot (after Mystic Warrior harness).
Whoever conceived and designed this was thinking out of the box- and successfully!

If you’d still like to chat I can call you.

Cheers.

Another option is to ditch the twin tip style pads/straps and use a deckpad and surf straps.  I did that recently and enjoy it much more for riding the King in Mutant mode:

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/ocean-rodeo-mako-king-upgrade/

Signature 

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

7 of 7