And so it begins…..2010 Mako King!!!!

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah I’m just wondering how it will be carving up waves in mutant mode. I hear a lot that it’s really smooth in chop, etc. but I haven’t seen a lot of videos of someone going down the line on it.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

aye…I second that one!
C’mon OR dudes…drive across the island and take a King down the line with a go pro man.
cheese

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

The King is super fun everything from onshore to side-off down-the-line conditions. I ride mine strapless with the biggest surf fins I could find that fit the board…..it’s not quite as ” soft ” as a surfboard in the turns and you ride it a little differently than you would a surfboard - no better or worse, just different. Give it a go…..smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah definitely think I’m going to pull the trigger. With the deck pad and straps, those can be setup basically in whatever configuration as the normal pads/straps?

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I jumped a hundred times and carved hard as heck on the king today
friday sessions after work are the best man!
the only negative I’ve found is when u ride without the thrusters
those fin holes will squirt water when u rail it hard upwind in mutant mode
the best part?
my bones are thank’n OR big time for these footbeds
I can’t believe I can still walk gulp

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-05-15

PM

I’ve found that the foot pads on the King do not hold my feet in very well.  Has anyone else observed this?  I have pretty big feet (size 14), but have never noticed this issue with the footpads on the 2008 Cabrinha Prodigy.

Are the hole patterns on the King are compatible with 2010 Cabrinha Sync foot pads?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2010-04-01

PM

EvanStolze - 14 May 2010 06:57 PM

The King is super fun everything from onshore to side-off down-the-line conditions. I ride mine strapless with the biggest surf fins I could find that fit the board…..it’s not quite as ” soft ” as a surfboard in the turns and you ride it a little differently than you would a surfboard - no better or worse, just different. Give it a go…..smile

Just got my board- in time for no wind lull : (

So I’ll tweek instead. What sized fins did you end up with and from where? I’m thinking about running as mutant with bigger twinzer fins out back and single med fin up front.

Do I need to fill center rear holes? Or maybe just put in micro 0.75” fin to fill?

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

i’ll give my .02

im linebacker size- sold a 150x40 as i had to be pretty juiced to have fun on it

got the mako king-  really fun.  tried it first mutant and good stuff- easy to ride backwards.  fun in the waves - close enough to surfboard feel for me plus 100x more durable than a surfboard and fin boxes.

tried it in twin tip mode- awesome.  great for slop chop/waves.  easy to slash it around/stand on the back foot for some spray, upwind is good, fav is coming back to beach fast over small breakin waves- old twin tip had the fear of pearlin the nose and superman’n it - mako king is like a cadillac sliding down a hill covered in pudding.  toeside is very easy on the king.

jumps- gotta make sure to land tail first otherwise a little jarring but easy trade off for allround fun

pads & straps- footpads are great, straps actually are cutting into my lower leg at bend above ankle- that material is hard - hopin it softens up/bends or ill have to change straps.

A+ reco for any big boi’s looking for a fun board

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

meant to add on footstraps in mutant mode- same as others have said- not enough duck angle w/ current screw inserts.  if new version of board has more options cool, but current owners be nice option if u redesign ur footpads to have an extra row or 2 on each side for screw down channel to make it work.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2010-08-10

PM

I have about twenty sessions on this thing now and it has been a complete revelation to me and my ability. I am 210lbs and this thing is great in twintip mode, a litewind cruiser and then fun as hell in mutant mode, when it blows, so much fun. This is the board everyone should have in the quiver. Not overpowered in high winds like other” litewind” doors and a complete chop killer!

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

Thanks to all the positive posts in this thread I scored myself a Mako King.  What a super fun board.  I bought/sold a surfboard and then a large light wind twin tip before I got the King.  I wish I had gone to the King right off the bat.  It does everything the other boards can do and a bunch more.  Seems like the ideal board to take a long on a road trip so you can dial in exactly what kind of board you need on any given day at a new location.

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/ocean-rodeo-mako-king/

Between my Mako 140 and the King I’ve got the best of both worlds…=-)

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I got the King and the new Mako 140 this winter and had given the King a only few rides before I injured my hand. I’m well recovered now and took both boards for a 14day trip, and thanks to a broken roof box I lost my 140 on the highway somewhere. I was surprised how emotional I got about this as that’s my super hard carving and foolaround board for sure. A true positive turned out to be the King, so glad I brought it and had to use it in conditions I would normally grab the 140! Only rode it mutant.
Great tracking board, loads of float and able to handle all terrain with great ease.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

El Rudo - 11 August 2010 03:33 PM

I got the King and the new Mako 140 this winter and had given the King a only few rides before I injured my hand. I’m well recovered now and took both boards for a 14day trip, and thanks to a broken roof box I lost my 140 on the highway somewhere. I was surprised how emotional I got about this as that’s my super hard carving and foolaround board for sure. A true positive turned out to be the King, so glad I brought it and had to use it in conditions I would normally grab the 140! Only rode it mutant.
Great tracking board, loads of float and able to handle all terrain with great ease.

Wow! Bummer about the 140! Now you have a chance to buy one of the new Makos that are said to be in the works.

Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

thanks Kirk, I hope the travel insurance will handle this well.
I met a fellow kiter on a camping somewhere and we got to shoot this little vid of us sharing the King and my Rise 13m in really marginal winds around 13 knots and between megazillions of kite schools. Not exactly action packed but a nice display of the fun this hull brings when others go upwind walking.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

I loved my Mako King, but… believe it or not - recently sold it.

Probably a month ago this would have sounded like an absolutely crazy idea. Mako King was super fun from the first ride… unlike my other board, a true directional. I couldn’t figure out how to ride that one even after several weeks (even months), and that is despite the fact that Mako King is the closest thing to a directional board. I was so frustrated, and was just about to sell the directional, when suddenly… IT HAPPENED: the ride became smooth, the upwind angle became unreal, carving, and even jumps became better. At that point the directional was the only thing I wanted to ride. I took Mako King a few times, but each time it felt too uncomfortable (same issues that many others have mentioned: no ducking, and too stiff straps that hurt).

That was then when Mako King lost any point for me. So I sold it.

So here are my conclusions. Mako King is indeed the best investment you can make if you want to transition to a true directional. The progress you can make on this board is unparalleled, especially learning to ride toeside. However, this is just a learning board (as I see it, of course). As someone well said on kiteforum.com: Mako King is VERY good in many aspects (e.g. riding in light winds, or carving like a directional), but does NOT really excel in any of them in particular.

And the last advantage of Mako King - the board almost doesn’t depreciate, and is very easy to sell wink

I want to thank OR for making such a fantastic board! However, it’s time to move on…