And so it begins…..2010 Mako King!!!!

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Dude
Mako’s destroy the chop and you feel nothing but a little bumps.
Ya gotta try one. wink

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2010-04-01

PM

Thanks. What do they weigh? That detail omitted in specs.
They must feel kinda chunky in the air, no?

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

Has anyone used the mako king or 150 with large flysurfer kite. I have the speed 3 19m and thinking the 150 mako would be perfert to use with the kite. I think the king would be a bit too big, I have tried large flysurfer boards and they are no fun at all just ankle busters, 150 sounds the way to go - anyone had experience?

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Kitejunkiee,
I used a Mako 150 with PsychoIII 13, after the 150 I got a 140. I needed 2kts more on the low end with the 140 but got more fun.
I used the 140 with a Speed2 15m once after the wind was too low for the P3 13. I had full till overpower with the 15m… great experience.
If you’re big then probably the 150 is the way to go otherwise a 140 will do the trick.

I’m a light weight so a FS Speed 15m will be the biggest kite I will buy ( If I would buy it) but they turn to slow imo, I see more in a bigger board like the King and a smaller kite.

I would like a King in my quiver but it won’t fit in my 4’10” travelbag (a 150 “mini King” would… .. . OR lets make that perfect travel board! make it so you stand a bit more above the thruster fins, 150x43, full deckpad, symmetrical straps)

What is your quiver KJ?

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-05-26

PM

I used a Mako 150x40 with a flysurfer speed2 19 for a couple of summers in 10-15 knots in open ocean conditions.  It worked great! Held its edge really well when the big beast powered up, good and very comfortable upwind, and of course fabulous in confused seas and chop.  I think that the fact that in light wind you can flatten the board and keep your weight well forward makes the Makos work well with non-grunty apparent wind kites. 

I have sold the speed2 and am now debating between a speed3 15 and a big inflatable for my lightwind kite (I have gone to Rise 8 and 11 for my smaller kites, and much as I liked my pulses and P3s the Rises are less hassle, more versatile, and better behaved).  Whatever I get I will be using it with the Mako king!  (Don’t confuse a Mako king with a Door—I used a Door 164 for a couple of years and agree it was a pain in the butt in anything but dead flat conditions.  I have had the king out it big lake chop / low 20s with a RIse 11 and it is smooth as silk—IMHO you do NOT lose handling and comfort with the bigger board the way you do with a normal twintip.  These boards are magic!)

Andy

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

The Mako King is actually super easy to gybe, especially strapless with the optional full size deck pad…...in my opinion she’s by far the funnest in this configuration….waves or flat water. If you haven’t tried the King strapless, you’re really missing out - I encourage you to give it a go!

Light and nimble, but yet stable and smooth….smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-05-26

PM

EvanStolze - 05 April 2010 08:49 PM

The Mako King is actually super easy to gybe, especially strapless with the optional full size deck pad…...in my opinion she’s by far the funnest in this configuration….waves or flat water. If you haven’t tried the King strapless, you’re really missing out - I encourage you to give it a go!

Light and nimble, but yet stable and smooth….smile

Is the deck pad for the King available from OR or from dealers?

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Yes, you can order the pad and directional straps from any OR retailer.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

Hi Janus. I have 8,10,12 rise and 19m speed 3 de. The speed 3 is a great kite, use it more than the others, simply because can be out when otherwise you wouldnt even get your inflatable off the sand.

I use a 151 LF proof with the 19m speed 3 under 12 kts and over 12 kts the 129zen. I think the 150 mako would be perfect for the speed 3.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI7fC-n7rzY

local rider Steve Anderson giving the King a go today

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-04-28

PM

What about rocker and bottom shape?  Still concave rail to rail?

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-05-10

PM

hello I am very interested in this board but everyone mentions the low end but how does it handle in overpowered conditions is it to big when it gets crazy out there?
I also have large feet and normally pads are to small my toes over hang them, what is the length of the pads?
I also am thinking this would be a great board for the larger people I am 6’5” 205lb’s could this be the one board I am looking for I mean I don’t want 3 boards to take to the beach?
Thanks for any input.

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Adam, at 150 lbs I ride the King in strapless mutant mode in 25knots + with a 6m…..there is no chance this board will ever be too big for you assuming you’ve got the right kite up. The King is a like a good surfboard in that it works well in light to heavy air….and is super versatile in a variety of conditions. The optional full deck pad (pictured above) covers the majority of the deck so I don’t think you’d have a problem there.  Pretty tough to beat the King when it comes to a one board quiver….!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

I’m thinking about getting a King to complement my Mako 140 which I love. The King looks interesting to me, mainly from the standpoint that I love riding in waves, but I don’t want to worry with gybes, and I’m still learning toeside. My question would be for anyone who rode a true directional with straps compared to the King in mutant form, how does it compare?

Also, what advantages does the King have over the Mako 140 in waves, I can carve up a wave on the 140 and love the swing weight in it compared to the 150. I’m just worried the King might be too bulky and that it wouldn’t get much use over the Mako 140.

So basically I’m thinking about riding the 140 in anything over 18 knots and on flat water as my twintip. I’d ride the king anytime we have decent waves and as a lightwind board.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

“...I’m still learning toeside.”

I couldn’t ride toeside for a long time. Then I got Dynabar and finally was able to do it. Eventually I was able to ride Mako 150 without Dynabar, but it was uncomfortable. With King everything has changed - I don’t like riding with Dynabar anymore and actually do prefer a non-sliding hook. I can stay toeside for a long time and not get tired at all, I can edge as hard or as little as I want - everything feels very comfortable and natural.

I thought that maybe I simply figured out how to ride toeside, and can ride toeside any board as good as I do it on Mako King. But recently I rode a couple of twin-tips, and even though I managed to ride them toeside, it wasn’t nearly as comfortable as on Mako King.

Mako King is a very versatile board, but when it comes to riding (and definitely learning) toeside in particular - this is THE board.