And so it begins…..2010 Mako King!!!!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I’ve ridden the original 150 MAKO & now the 150 wide for years & with the concave they rarely slide out ... If your edging they just hold ... Yet if you want them loose you just flatten them out & your good to go ... The ‘mutant’ king gives the option of a more directional ride if desired & the 130 is said to be a lively little rocket , but (as usual) I digress I only have experience (~ 7 years) on the 150’s & would recommend them to anyone.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

jl / When you say the 150 wide . Is that the 1500 x 400 or is their a wider version . My twin tip is 1460 x 430 slingshot / so I wasn’t sure if the 400 would be wide enough . my directional is also 430 wide . May be being a bit longer will compansate the difference. What do you recon !!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

40cm ... It is just fine !!! Though the ‘King’ is 165 x 45cm ... & can be set up as a directional (Mutant)  http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/mako-king

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

For Craig,

Hey saw your video’s on Kite Forum, you said riding with three fins on one side and the single on the other side.  Are you riding the board in twin stance or mutant, just want to know, my board is waiting for me in New Brunswick can’t use it till April when I’m going to hatteras.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Here is another one from today,
remebered to put the card in AND turn it on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGmggPLTHWg

dude
this board will morph to your style of riding
I went to 3 small fins rear foot, one small fin front foot-mutant mode
This keeps my speed up but allows a lot of bite in the turns
in the small stuff we get in the sound.
I also removed the pads and waxed the deck.
My winter 7mmm cold fire booties were kinda snug for the pad/straps
and all that thickness made the board feel kinda spongy.
A waxed mako under foot is a sensitive high performance machine.
I ended up waxing my 150x40 too!
I took the dual entry straps off my mako surf and put them on the King,
but I really only ride it on one side.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-07-19

PM

Ok so I caved…..waved the Mastercard and will be picking up the new “regal” board on Thursday.
I already have a 140 Mako wide as my main board but I got the King because I want to learn to ride waves and to
have more fun on lighter days.
I have never ridden a board other than a twin tip and I expect learning may be “character building” but I am a stubborn sob
so want to configure the king mutant and learn it that way. Can anyone please give some tips and pointers as to how to
learn to ride my new joujou, any help would be very much appreciated.

TIA

Hatteras 47 days and counting wink

craig myers - 23 March 2010 05:17 AM

rolleyes  wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlI-kuxGSbQ

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

just ride it

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

You are gonna love this board, c’mon thursday!
Hmmm, I would suggest setting the fins and straps up as a twin tip 1st.
This will give you a good performance baseline (and the best low end)
After that try the mutant mode with different fin configurations, either regular or goofy,
and get into some real waves man!
(wish I was going to hatteras too big surprise )

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

Yes, definitely try Twin-tip mode first. Once you switch to Mutant mode, you most likely will never go back to the Twin-tip mode again wink

I used to ride 2008 Mako wide 150 for 1.5 years - Mako King is the whole new world.

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

One thing about the pads on Mako King.

For riding twin-tip the pads are positioned sideways, for riding mutant they are positioned strictly perpendicular, 90 degrees to the fins. For surf straps if you are going to do jibing that’s fine. But the Mutant allows to ride in reverse, and riding toe-side is just a pleasure. So if you are not into jibing (and that’s I think the key advantage of Mako King), I think it might be a good idea to position the pads slightly sideways, too - like in the twin-tip mode. The holes for the screws do not allow it, but the pads themselves allow to position them sideways but only very slightly.

On surfboards the straps are usually loose to make jibing easier, and this gives some freedom to position the feet sideways, too. I don’t jibe on Mako King and instead of making the straps loose I would rather have the pads positioned sideways. Otherwise the feet position is somewhat uncomfortable.

Has anyone tried it?

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Every rider is different.
I’ve evolved to this set up recently.
The pads are removed, and surf wax is on the deck.
Dual entry straps, so the board is ready to demo as a mutant
w/o preference to stance (goofy or regular)
Brad Gardon at windance suggested I try the King waxed and strapless.
This fin configuration adds more bite to goofy heelside edging, and classic mako carve toeside.
The fun just never ends! raspberry

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

michaelt - 24 March 2010 11:04 PM

One thing about the pads on Mako King.

For riding twin-tip the pads are positioned sideways, for riding mutant they are positioned strictly perpendicular, 90 degrees to the fins. For surf straps if you are going to do jibing that’s fine. But the Mutant allows to ride in reverse, and riding toe-side is just a pleasure. So if you are not into jibing (and that’s I think the key advantage of Mako King), I think it might be a good idea to position the pads slightly sideways, too - like in the twin-tip mode. The holes for the screws do not allow it, but the pads themselves allow to position them sideways but only very slightly.

On surfboards the straps are usually loose to make jibing easier, and this gives some freedom to position the feet sideways, too. I don’t jibe on Mako King and instead of making the straps loose I would rather have the pads positioned sideways. Otherwise the feet position is somewhat uncomfortable.

Has anyone tried it?

I can’t believe it - only yesterday I had this wish, and today it’s already invented:

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=281

I wonder if these rotating straps will fit the Mako… The inventors claim it will fit most of the boards.

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Michael,
that’s a nice vid for sure! pretty good riding too.
Rotating straps have been coming and going over the last decades, here’s some interesting reading material - from 1983.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2010-04-01

PM

So how’s the performance in chop. To get to good waves here (Nassau) one must deal with chop.