Tool to get knot out of line?

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-11-27

PM

I have a nice tight little knot in one of my flying lines.  Any tool or suggestion on how to get it out?  I thought my fingernails were up to the challenge - but no luck so far and every time I go out the knot gets tighter and tighter…

Thanks,

MC

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Don’t keep flying with it in, or you certainly will never get it out!

Definitely soak it and get it wet, then from there it’s a whole lot of patience and persistence. I’ve spent a good 40 minutes or more working constantly at one tiny knot before getting it.

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Some people chew on it to loosen the knot, I prefer to take a big needle and look for loops to put it behind. Found this on the web: “One other method is to quickly and firmly twist the parts of the rope just outside the knot back and forth as you push in slack.”

Knots will ruin your lines quite effectively, so get it out quickly and if it’s a front line and you don’t trust it, get new lines.

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

get it wet and a good munch works for me.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

and what about the knot Colyn

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Oh the knot smirk

I chew that as well vampire  cool grin

zipper  cheese

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Try soaking the line with either hair gel or shampoo that helps hair from knotting as it seems to expand the fibres of the lines making it easier to open up the knot.

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

use yer teeth like

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

Chewing on it will work, you need to do that for 15 mins or more.  Eventually, it will come out.  Also, you can hit it with a smoothe faced hammer on a smoothe surface - another piece of metal or melamine coated wood, something like that.  don’t do it on a rough surface like concrete.

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Don’t use your teeth and don’t get the line wet. keep it dry and either use your own or find someone -preferably female who has nails + a ton of patience!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2008-09-25

PM

Teeth, nails, and swearing works for me. I only get knots when I let people borrow my stuff.

Signature

Have fun out there!

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

Dont Chew, You will compromise the strenght of the line. You have to commit to suck it, tongue action only. Yeah it tastes bad, Yeah it takes like four hours, I could reference it to an intimate act with your significant other but this is a family fourm. You know what to do…...

Or buy an new line…

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

2 sewing needles work great : Push one carefully into the knot, without separating the threads of the line ... Leave 50% in & insert the other needle & pry the knot apart. Simple & effective.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

cut and re sleeve all 4 lines

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Not necessary ... As long as you are careful undoing the knot.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-11-27

PM

40 minutes and a thumb nail later (with plenty of hot water) did the job.

MC