Had my 08 12m rise for a while now….

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

....and it wasn’t until the other day i changed the bridle settings from both inside to both outside, with a knot in on the back lines. OMG ITS CHANGED INTO A FAST BEAST! Actually only flown it 3 sessions since the change and it turns on the spot, the power is there, it flies so much better! Have had several sessions in the past where it wasn’t quite what i expected and i knew that it would turn faster, i didn’t expect that i wouldn’t have to pull the bar in to make it turn so. One handed operation, i now have my hands in the correct place on the bar, i actually have full power of the kite and having to use the trim strap more efficiently, with the small amount of movement of the bar to trim the kite for gusts, i can use the kite more effectively, get the power where i want it for upwind operation. Outfly bigger kites, use it when smaller kites are on the water. With the smaller amount of bar movement i can ride much faster…and send it into bigger jumps, then redirect correctly with the faster turning! Actually haven’t flown anything better, even in the past!

Have had 3 consecutive days on it now (2 evenings and a day) and i have sores from wetsuit/harness/salt water! I did lose weight from the start of the year so my session harness was swapped for a mystic one (i know, i had to get a new one, and they didn’t have any OR at the shop!)

Definitely OR for the future!

I normally ride where the wind is in the UK, but am on holiday in France so have been sessioning in Almanarre. Only a few more days left. Tuesday looks like a good session (a bit more predicted than today-force4, and i didnt have any strap in today so hoping for a really powered session!)

http://kiteblog.info (my friends blog!)

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Stug,
Nice to hear. Always outer settings (not for my 6, backlines on slow) feels so good and fast. So you’re in L’ Almanarre now? Nice spot. Did you enjoy some mistral sessions?.
Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

yeah its been pretty good the past 3 days! Think tuesday is the next better day, and wed and thurs! YAY! i like to have a bit more than yesterdays session. About 22 mph is good grin My parents live down here so i’ve got a little holiday out of uni, although in the day they have had me chainsawing trees!

I notice that i should probably own a smaller kite, as there is usually always people on smaller kites (7s etc) when i have the strap way in. The kite doesnt seem to fly any differently (might be a bit flappyer at max depower) but it feels strong. 8m would be nice, but i’m thinking the bar might be too big for kite only. Could i get away with a 6m? Only think i’m really going to need it if im ever going places like tarifa or if its more than 30knots! and there is the cost of having a second kite!

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-10-03

PM

I went from the 2 inner points to the 2 outer points on my 2009 12M and it did fly awesome. Better range and faster, but the bar pressure really went up a lot. Maybe I was just spoiled by the no bar pressure of the inner 2 and have to get used to it, but I went back to the inner points and it still feels pretty good.
We have very gusty winds and the two inner points seem to handle this better.
What did you think about the bar pressure increase ?

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

to be honest i didnt really notice it, i do prefer a bit more bar pressure as i can feel the kite better. If it did increase, it cant have by much. To handle gusts better i thought it would do a better job on the outside front line. It feels like i dont need to move the bar as much for the gusts, but they cant be as big as ive experienced in the past. if i was ever going to move it back, id leave the back lines where they are, it would only really make the top end a bit further. At least thats what my guess is going to be.

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

i actually prefer the bar pressure, i can feel the kite and control the speed of the kite much better. as well as it adding to the muscle building thats going on from just doing sport (im quite anti gym!)

Joined 2008-11-27

PM

I just posted a power issue question to the forum (not getting enough on my 08 14 rise to deal with staying upwind in 15-17 mph).  After reading this - looks like moving the bridles outside might be the ticket - any thoughts?

MC

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

theres definitely more power. and because i started with the inside on back and front the turning ability is so much more!

I’m probably going to have to change this, but my back lines are a knot in on the adjuster too, i thought this would help. I’m likely to want more top end with the kite, would moving this back to the standard position help?

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Keep in mind your front lines will stretch because they carry most of the load ... Learn to fly your kite @ the position that provides the most power ... If it feels correct it is !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

i pull in the depower strap to adjust for wind. i dont think i need the extra knot on the back lines. i havent had the kite on max undepower because of this knot. it didnt fly right.

ive noticed im out with my 12 more upwind than skinny french men on 14s, and im also on the biggest kite when people are on 7s. i think im using it as a “one” lol

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2009-04-09

PM

Interesting,... I’ve been flying my 2008 12M Rise with the “Factory” settings, (back lines on the outside point and the front lines on the inside point), as per the manual, http://oceanrodeo.com/images/uploads/kiting/pdf/SLE_kite_manual.pdf

The manual says that having both lines on the outside points is “hardest to fly”,... but after reading this post I’m going to try it,.. I think more bar pressure is beneficial for us beginners

I have managed to get great power and upwind performance with the “Factory” setting.