Unhooking and pop with the Rise and 140 Mako Wide
Posted: 04 June 2009 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2008-02-15

I know i have read in the past about how you have to set the trim to pull off unhooked tricks, but i missed how? do you set the trim for more power or less power? Any differences on unhooked poping the Mako 140 compared to a twintip? Going to Floras lake Oregon to work on my unhooking next week.

Thanks

Posted: 04 June 2009 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

The rise (and all SLE) are built to give you a lot of power for their size, so they are normally trimmed so when you pull the bar all the way in they really flatten out and open up to catch as much wind as possible.  This puts the kite pretty close to it’s stall point.  When you unhook and pop, you end up with the kite deeper in the window and if the kite is over sheeted (really opened up), it’s likely to stall and fold or fly backward.  To stop that from happening you have to pull in on the trim line so the kite has less power.  This way you are farther from the maxed out efficient pull, but less likely to have the kite stall on you.  Most noticeable in bigger kites and lower winds.  Once there is enough wind to be powered up, the Rise can be trimmed in so there is less stall and the smaller ones unhook pretty well.  The Diablo is designed so that you can have the kite trimmed for max pull but its shape allows it to unhook without stalling.  There is quite a difference in the two kites.  Where the Rise can sometimes really overpower you when you unhook, the Diablo has a much more predictable pull when you unhook.

The Mako is a board that really holds an edge, smooths out choppy water and carves with a really evenly weighted surfy feel.  This comes from the deep concave and rounded ends.  Unfortunately the trade off is pop.  The Mako is a great big air board cause you can carve into a jump with tons of speed, and send the kite to go sky high.  Pop is when you don’t really move the kite much but just carve sharply away from the kite and get yanked up and into the air.  The Mako has rounded corners which tends to make it bog down when you try and pop it.  Boards made for pop have a pretty wide tip and tail that have squared out corners like the zen.  That with some flex gives you something to load up against in a quick pop. 

Hope thats helpful.

Posted: 04 June 2009 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15

Thanks Brent4336

I have heard that the Makos dont have much pop, I love the Mako as in the gorge and the coast there is always chop, and the boosts are great. My goal this year try and work on some unhooked stuff.

Posted: 05 June 2009 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13

The Mako doesn’t have pop the way you would get it from the Zens (flexing/loading), but I find it easy to jump using the board by carving sharp up wind and applying backfoot pressure while pulling the front foot up. It gets my 220lbs ass up high enough for a switch or to hop over a .5m wave without using the kite. Me not even remotely being a wakestyler of any sort by the way.
Another way to get lift from the board is riding it flat and pulling the front foot up, while jumping from the knees. The Mako releases off the water really well.
I ride a 140x40.

Posted: 05 June 2009 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15

Cool, Kinda like an ollie, Im going to try that today.

Posted: 20 June 2009 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-01-24

The Makos pop is different than a traditional twin tip (such as the zen) where you really load up the board to jump. I find that the great speed you get from the board really gives you a chance to lift off the water. The pressure point for loading up is a bit different as well…you might “spin out” jumping the mako the first couple of times. I have no problem jumping w/ any of the makos, unhooked or hooked in!