1 of 2
Chicken Loop Safety Release
Posted: 27 May 2009 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-03-18

I have searched through previous topics and this does not seem to be covered. Regarding the 09 Rise Bar. One issue i cannot seem to get around.
At least once a session, yesterday twice, the red quick release.. well just releases! yesterday i was riding just cruising around and twice ‘SNAP’ and i am done! Kite crashed, deflated and ended in a long swim!! NOT happy. I am not confident in the little elastic tie down.
Is there anything i can do to have the red release cap hold on a little tighter? Can i convert the chickenloop to the velcro slider from the 2008 bar?
Enjoying the kites a ton but loosing a little confidence in the release system! Any suggestions would be awesome.

Posted: 27 May 2009 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20

Hi Tony,
Did you check this: http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewannounce/1788_1/
Regards,
Arjan

Posted: 27 May 2009 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-18

Yea i saw this post but not the issue here. It just pops off when am in the middle of a little jump, transition etc. Seems like if i even knock the red cap it is releasing! Needs a stronger fastener elastic type of fix perhaps….

Posted: 27 May 2009 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2006-01-19

Hi Tony,
Sounds like you may need to tighten up the shock cord that holds the red release cuff in place. Pull one end of the knotted shock cord out of the top of the release cuff and tie a new knot further down the shock cord. Make sure (very important) to test that the release cuff can still be pushed up high enough to activate the release. Then cut off the excess shock cord.
  Ross

Posted: 27 May 2009 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

Had this happen last weekend and ended up with a couple rips in my new Dball!  Super choked, but I’m over it!  Will tighten the shock cord and see if that does it.  Didn’t really see what happened.  I was riding (too close to the beach!) and then pop, unhooked full power and no option to hook back in!  Sucked.  Dropped to the 5th before getting dragged up the beach and it was all done, but the kite landed in a snag.  Couldn’t really fathom how it happened at first as the cuff has to go a good couple inches to release and I don’t think I even tapped it, but cant be sure.  Thought it must have been a fluke, but after looking at it a little closer, I noticed that when riding with a hand in the center of the bar, my fingers and palm end up wrapping enough to grip the end of the release.  Yes I have big hands!  If I were to request change it would be for a release unit that I cant grip when holding the bar in the middle.  Currently, especially when unhooking with a hand in the center, my grip wraps enough to hold the release and I could see myself firing it when hooking back in to let out the bar.  If I don’t consciously let go of the end of the release with my grip before I sheet out, its goes with my hand and bar up the depower line.  Figure this is what happened on the weekend as I ride a lot with one hand in the middle. So I didn’t tap it, I actually fired it by accident with my own grip.

I hate to critisize the new release unit as I know it took a lot of work, and it is nice, simple and solid.  I can imagine a similar unit that would not have the same problem.  The inner portion of the release with the lines through it would need to protrude through the cuff an inch or so and mate with the bar, the cuff could then be a shorter mushroom style that would not butt up against the bar allowing for a cleaner grip.  Then maybe round off the cuff a bit more so it doesn’t mess up the grip on the bar in really cranked turns.

Hoping this doesn’t sound neg!

Cheers,

B

Posted: 27 May 2009 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-18

Good call on the hand thing. I also wrap my hand around the tow lines when just cruisin’ around! I will be mindful! Thanks for all the feedback! I will ad this is not negative the kites and bar are awesome just some small changes in getting used to the new gear! I will tighten the elastic before the next session!

Posted: 27 May 2009 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20

I felt the “hand thing” as well, I like to ride with my hand(s) to the center of the bar, luckily I had already tighten the elastic and felt the resistant while I was sheeting out and took a look..  big surprise and sheeted in again.. cool smile
I can not shorten the elastic more (1cm space left) so is there a more stiffer elastic which ends up in needing more force to release the QR? perhaps an idea?
A more rounded cuff is a good idea.

Regards,
Arjan

Posted: 07 July 2009 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-06-09

This happened twice to me on my first day with the bar, one ended up in a swim.  I also ride with my hands together almost always.  Thought maybe the cuffs on my drysuit were catching it.  At any rate it’s a bit worrying as directly downwind of me is a very small bay and then a couple freight docks.  I’ll give tightening up the cord a try, but I’m also considering building up under the cuff to create some friction with some black tape or something.  I love the bar and have all kinds of OR gear but this issue needs to be addressed.  It’s simply too sensitive.

Posted: 14 July 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-23

I really hope this all will be over with the 2010, in the mean time we are stuck with our stuff….

Posted: 14 July 2009 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

@ mattenzuchtig, welcome to the crew!
The issues described here are sufficiently addressed in this topic, and of course had our focus during the development of the 2010 gear.
Having said that, you can still remove some of the plastic from the red release cuff with a file to customize it a little to how you ride. rounding off the protruding edge will help for sure. I believe Janus did so, maybe he can post a picture of the result?
The 2009 CL is still one of the best in the industry so I can’t imagine how you would ever be “stuck” with it.
Cheers,
Rudo

Posted: 15 July 2009 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-23
El Rudo - 14 July 2009 12:35 PM

@ mattenzuchtig, welcome to the crew!
The issues described here are sufficiently addressed in this topic, and of course had our focus during the development of the 2010 gear.

Having said that, you can still remove some of the plastic from the red release cuff with a file to customize it a little to how you ride. rounding off the protruding edge will help for sure. I believe Janus did so, maybe he can post a picture of the result?
The 2009 CL is still one of the best in the industry so I can’t imagine how you would ever be “stuck” with it.
Cheers,
Rudo

I understand you defend your product, but I cannot resist in saying “weak defence”
Can you imagine buying something new…where afterwards is said…just file it a bit…come on , are you serious?

I do hope if someone purchases a new 2010 bar there is not a little note with it saying: if it does not work properly, just file it a bit…
or even better/worse:
in case of emergency a file is added..

El Rudo, all I read about the 2009 bar in this forum is exactly the same which I had with my bar, unwillingly opening the quick-release, depowerhole in the bar that needed sanding because of a not smooth finish this way depowerline got eaten in no time although rinsed after each ride, etc etc…

Please do not be offended that I consider your comment as: ” one of the best bars around”...not serious.( 2009 bar)

I wish you lots of success with your 2010 and hopefully it will not be a try and error and the market will gives us feedback on what to improve BAR!
matti

Posted: 15 July 2009 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi Mattenzuchtig,
As you can find on this forum some issues with the 2009 bar and chickenloop were adressed a while back. I’m not here to defend or deny anything, but to help the crew get out and have a great time kitesurfing- safely, as I would do on the beach with riders with any brand and type of kite.
Even if that means pointing out how to make minor changes to one of the parts.
Good winds!

Posted: 15 July 2009 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Hi Mattenzuchtig,

If you’re not into a couple minutes of filing, please shoot me a PM and I can make arrangements to send you a replacement hub. I’ll warn you in advance though that filing is a much, easier, quicker fix. Until now, we haven’t had a single customer take exception to it. It’s really not a big deal, as a little bit of tweaking and maintenance here and there is really just a reality of the sport. wink

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 15 July 2009 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-18

FYI
For me the fix had nothing to do with this filing solution mentioned above! My fix was simply tightening the elastic fasteners! I pulled them out and tied a knot. Simple and fixed the problem right away. These two problems are NOT the same. Since i tightened them it has happen WAY less.

Posted: 16 July 2009 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

tightened the bungee and it made no difference for me.  Filled the hub and put a single wrap of hockey tape on the inner black portion.  No unintentional releases since.

Hope the new bar is as good as it looks.  Visually its a huge step and puts OR up there with the big boys for product apeal.

Posted: 16 July 2009 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-23
EvanStolze - 15 July 2009 03:06 PM

Hi Mattenzuchtig,

If you’re not into a couple minutes of filing, please shoot me a PM and I can make arrangements to send you a replacement hub. I’ll warn you in advance though that filing is a much, easier, quicker fix. Until now, we haven’t had a single customer take exception to it. It’s really not a big deal, as a little bit of tweaking and maintenance here and there is really just a reality of the sport. wink

Cheers,

Evan

Evan
Thank you, appreciate it, but:

I know how to file and sand an replace depower lines and all the tricks in the books to come to a functional 09 bar ( swivel included)...there were a lot of examples on this forum.

But I think as much as OR is customer orientated and trying to help to the best of their abilities, “and this El Rudo can be said without any sideways thoughts” grin , that on this field you are THE BEST, but as a customer you still feel a bit ....without saying the word you know what I mean.

This is why I do hope OR learned from the 09 bar, whether I feel I am stuck with it or not, and OR will have the 010 bar thoroughly tested before coming in final production and not using me or other customers as a guinny pig.
Good luck, and case closed for me
Matti

1 of 2