09 diablo
Posted: 02 May 2009 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-30

sorry not sure if this has been spoken about just wondering if anyone has flown one and what they think,they look great and i’m super keen to get one but the distributer here hasnt got them from OR yet any info would be awesome!

Posted: 02 May 2009 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

I was just gonna come on here and talk up this kite when I log on and see this post.

I think the production kites are shipping at the moment.  There are a few of them out there.  I’m lucky enough to have a 14 and have had enough time on it to really start to know and appreciate it.  So far I’m all good with relaunch but haven’t had to solo launch it.  I’m sure it’s simple enough but I’m spoiled by super easy 4line hybrid self launching.  Love it enough that I know I am fine with any 5th line skills I have to pick up.  The 14 is a perfect big kite for me.  I’m 180 at most and ride a pretty big board with a lot of rocker (139x42).  Once there is enough wind to have any fun with kites I’m powered and churning upwind in super chop.  I like that it pulls nice and grunty when I’m just cruisin along slowly and then totally kicks in when you up the board speed.  Like a nice torqey low gear and then tons of horse power once you move.  No real panicky moments with it yet.  It depowers plenty enough and is smooth in gusts.  Bar pressure is more than the rise, but not by a lot.  I don’t have a stock bar yet, and my depower line is a touch long on this set up so I end up holding the bar a lot instead of riding against the knot, which I know I’ll do a fair bit of once its on its proper bar.  It does’t need a long depower line at all.  I’m pretty sure I’ll have somewhere around 10 inch, which keeps everything nice and comfy.  I think if you muscle the 14m all the time your gonna feel it in the arms.  Took me a couple sessions to clue into being lighter on the bar and Once you dial that in, its no problem to pull a marathon.  The kite is exactly what you want unhooked.  Totally consistent and predictable.  Really nice for carving unhooked transitions with smooth POWER all the way through.  Unhooks from literally anywhere on the strap just fine, and it’s simple to get trimmed right.  The kite is beyond stall resistant and approaching stall proof! In size 14 its an easy kite to downloop as long as you have it a couple feet more than a kite width from the water.  Don’t think I’ll loop it much, but in better hands I’m sure it can do it just fine.  I’ll wait until I’m underdone on the 10m for that kind of stuff.  Turns with all its power around the wingtip, and is a nice fast kite to work for a 14m.  Compared to working a 12m rise, it is slower, but the extra torque makes up for it.  You pretty much start working both kites at the same threshold.  So far I’ve had no issues staying upwind when I have to work it and I’ve only had it on 20m lines.  Once parked you rip upwind.  Haven’t really delved into its big air skills yet.  Been too preoccupied with low level stuff and love that its made unhooked grabs a reality.  Water is super cold still which limits what I try to the likely landable, but I’m looking forward to warmer riding when its more comfy to huck the things your just getting into.  I wont waste time commenting on construction suffice as to say that it’s simply killer.  A bomber, simple, and beautiful piece of work.  Cant wait to get the 10.

P.S.  A bunch of the local crew suffered a 40-60+ min swim in 5 degree water yesterday as it flicked offshore.  My pyro pro saved my life.  Slow enough swimming that it totally re arranged my thoughts on the bulkier Lucifer drysuit design!  Keep it tight!  Your’s is a killer design.  Thank you.

Posted: 03 May 2009 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-30

thanks heaps for the info cant wait till they arrive in australia think they will do really well here as there is a massive demand for c kites at the moment really cant wait hope they come soon!

Posted: 04 May 2009 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2007-01-05

Hey Hookworm,

Brent is correct…the first production run just started shipping last week.

Feel free to PM me or contact me directly at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) to make sure we have a Diablo coming your way.

Cheers.

Posted: 06 May 2009 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-07-19

Now that you mentioned it… what is the best way to self launch a Rise (2007). I think I know. Putting the kite in the neutral position on the beach, though a little bit turned into the wind. Then pulling the lines so it slides across the beach into the usual crash position while pulling the steering line so it rotates and flies away.
Little apprehensive about this though. Is it risky? What if the kite won’t rotate and will sit with it’s leading edge on the beach exactly in the center of the power zone?
Hmm, I’ll have to try with somebody else I suppose, just have to work up the courage…

Posted: 06 May 2009 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

That how I launch the rise or any sle.  Once you get the knack of it there is little to no sliding of the kite on the ground and it just rolls up its curved leading edge with literally no wear to the kite unless your launching it right on top of some sort of sharps.

The 5 line C kite method is basically the same, but it takes a little finesse on the 5th line to get it to do the same roll up the leading edge.  I’ll try it out soon enough, and hopefully wont put too much wear on the kites by the time I get it dialed.  Have done it a bunch on snow.

Posted: 07 May 2009 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-07-19

Okay, thanks. I suppose we’ll do a selflaunch training session here now that Whazzaah ordered a 10m Rise. My 12m 2007 might be a bit harder because the LE is a little bit less curved, but it will be fun trying…

Posted: 07 May 2009 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2007-09-14

Training session? Dont think so just go for it :D

Hope Barry and Postman Pat hurry up so i can try it saturday smile

Signature 

http://www.surfphotos.nl