compressor for filling kites…...

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2009-02-14

PM

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn’t find anything about it.

I’m thinking of getting an inexpensive compressor or tank to fill my kites at the beach.  I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.  I know there’s battery operated compressors for kites (some okay and some not okay).  I’ve seen some compressors at http://www.harborfreight.com and have peaked my interest.  There’s a compressor that you plug into your cigarette lighter to power it and it pumps a max of 100 psi and supposedly will inflate a car tire in about 3 1/2 minutes.  I realize that with that I’d have to keep an eye on it as it’s pumping but it’s only about $27.  Much less than the about $270 - $300 battery operated pumps that are for kites.

They also have just the tanks for compressed air for sale.  There’s one that’s 10gallon and you can fill it up to 200psi.

I believe that the recommended psi for my 2008 12m Rise is 8-9psi.  Is there a max amount volume of air flow that shouldn’t be used to inflate the kites until they reach 8-9psi.

Lower back sometimes comes into play when pumping up my kites and this would definitely help eliminate that problem.

Any ideas, suggestions, or info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Allen

Joined 2009-02-14

PM

Here’s a link to the compressor at harbor freight that I’m thinking of.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96068

Good? Bad?

Thanks.

Allen

Total Posts: 152

Joined 2007-06-26

PM

Pumping your kite is an good way to stay in shape and a good warmup, but you have to pump with a staight back.
Compressors are nice, wen you have a really big kite, but the car plug one’s take for ever, and the don’t like sand.
If you buy one don’t go for the cheap one’s.

good luck

Signature

on fire

Joined 2009-02-14

PM

Yea, I was thinking the same thing about the cigarette lighter ones taking a long time but supposedly the compressor that I posted a link for will inflate a car tire in about 3 1/2 minutes.  Most cigarette lights ones will only increase the air in a car tire about 3-4 psi in 3 minutes.

I agree with pumping the kite is a good way to stay in shape, but there’s times when my lower back gives me problems.  I make sure that I pump with a straight back, but I’ve had some lower back problems on occasion throughout my life and feel that possibly the compressor would help rid to minimize the lower back problems.  There’s hardly nothing worse than getting to the beach all pschyed about kiting and then your back starts acting up.  Real bummer.

Thanks for the advice; any and all is greatly appreciated.

Allen

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

Hi Allen! I bought a small compressor last summer for very cheap , around $40.00 from Canadian Tire shop, you plug it on 120 volt to get it charged and your good for 2 -3 kites.I only use it for 14 and always for 17 meters kite , You can also plug it into the car’s lighter but you need to have your car next to your rigging spot. For smaller kites this it is not worth to carry it on the beach. My kite still need to be pumped by hand to have it at the required pressure , but the biggest part of the work is done. I really enjoy this compressor, I plug it on the kite while I put my suit and harness on and when I get back to the beach it is almost ready. It still work fine after a summer of work , at this price I would not care buying another one if it breaks. It is call “rechargeable pump” from woods.I think they sell it for air mattress.

I found out that the pump provided by kites manufacturers are to short. I bought a longer one and it makes all the difference. Since I bought this pump , I don’t care so much about the electric one. That would be nice if we could buy a long and bombproof one from O.R.

Take good care of your back!

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2007-07-09

PM

Allen, I use a battery powered (Colmen brand) rechargable air matress pump that I got for $10 from Taget.  I use it to do the bulk of the pumping via the deflate valve.  This makes it easier than dealing with the possibly sensitive check valve on the inflate valve.  You then have to finish the kite off by hand with the hand pump.  I feel better about getting the correct PSI by hand anyway. 

Once charged this little hand held pump will fill the bulk of 10-15 bladders.  I made the modification of cutting the tip off one of the fill tips that come with it for greater air flow into the deflate valve.  Going on the four or five years with it now.

Signature

2007 Rise 14M, 12M, 10M.  2011 Rise 8M, 6M.
2011 Razors 12M, 10M, 8M
Pyro Pro

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Allan,

I don’t have a lot of experience with inflating kites via a compressor but I can tell you that using one capable of 200psi would not be a good idea. While our kites are tough they are not that tough and so I would be very hesitant to put a compressor with that much torque to use, even if you were careful there is just too much overhead there for you to mess up and completely destroy your kite.

I have seen the plug in and battery powered ones and have to say they seem the best plan. The motor (especially on the battery ones) is so weak that you can leave it running well past it’s capabilities to add more pressure and not worry about kite damage. These models, because of their lack of strength, do require a pump to top up the kite to proper inflation…

Not sure if that is of any help but, yeah, I’d be careful with a 200psi compressor. We have one here at the office for use with some of the machinery that we run and our production manager tried to use it to pump up his car tire - capable of accpeting 30 psi - and he blew the tire up…. (yes, it was a very funny moment in the life and times of our office as it was an employee on the Whites side so us Dark Side fellows were laughing hard…)

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

If pumping is not your favorite thing, why not try to go with less effort?
Here’s an old trick from an Hawaiian brand: use the big nozzle from your pump and put it OVER the valve. You’ll double the size of the air inlet so pumping goes way easier. The OR valve caps have a molded strip of PVC on them , just take a blade an cut them away as they are sufficiently held in place by the velcro webbing.

Joined 2009-02-14

PM

Definitely I’d always be with the kite and pump if the pump was capable of pumping 100psi or even 200 psi.  I figure if it takes about 3 minutes to pump up a car tire to about 30psi, then I would be able to shut it off when it got close to being pumped to 8-9 psi.  I’m sure that it isn’t instantaneous.

Gotta love everyone’s input.

Thanks everyone and keep the input coming; it’s always appreciated.

Allen

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

Hey Allen check out pumpkiteup.com buy Volo. Use the Volo Kite Pump to inflate your kite
- uses a refillable CO2 or Compressed Air tank for filling.

I seen this earlier this year and considered for the winter kiting but never purchased.

Steve

Joined 2009-02-14

PM

Hmmmm…...........
That definitely looks like a viable alternative.  A pretty good idea as well.  Now if I could just fill it at home somehow to avoid the added expense of having to pay to have it ‘refilled’ each time that I wanted to pump up a couple of kites.

Definitely worth looking into though.

Thanks Steve.

Allen

steve - 07 May 2009 09:46 PM

Hey Allen check out pumpkiteup.com buy Volo. Use the Volo Kite Pump to inflate your kite
- uses a refillable CO2 or Compressed Air tank for filling.

I seen this earlier this year and considered for the winter kiting but never purchased.

Steve

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-06-11

PM

Thanks everyone and keep the input coming; it’s always appreciated.

pret auto

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

The use of high pressure compressors is not recommended….

Your bladders can be harmed by:

- the “flapping?” of the bladder while inflating
- If compressors are not cleaned often a mixture of water, oil etc can get stuck in your bladder which might harm the material?
- Increased chance of over-inflation.

An electrical pump would be a better idea for those who don’t like to pump.

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

You are right about the compressor Wouter, saw it on mythbuster a couple of weeks ago with an inflatble matras.
It got to cold and the could break the material very easy.

But anyway….. i was thinking about the same, but it has to be a electrical pomp that can’t create that much cold air.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-06-11

PM

I really hope you like this new challenge! Best of luck, everyone!

pret auto

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

cool hmm
Come on you sissies use the pump !

Even my 4 year old son can pump a 14m Rise..

smirk