Rip Curl H-Bomb Wetsuit Review from SurfDonkey (Ep11)

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-10-30

PM

Yes!  We scored a Rip Curl H Bomb wetsuit to demo.  For those that don’t know, this is Rip Curl’s battery operated wetsuit that features heat coils integrated into the back panel of the suit.  The current water temp is 1C (33F) so we still have good testing waters.  It’s the first one in Canada (that we know of) and probably one of the first third party reviews around.  Have a look to see how it performs here http://surfdonkey.ca and the donkey notes. 

And needless to say, Lance has mostly recovered from surgery.  Mostly. I think I smell a cortisone shot.

Don’t forget to leave a comment at http://surfdonkey.ca.

Thanks for watching.

Get yer donk on!

The Donks

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

An interesting idea, but obviously not much forethought given to surfers with an environmental conscience…..aside from the whole battery/energy use issue, the packaging just to ship that one suit alone was pretty ridiculous.

It appears (since I haven’t actually tired it) to fail in the delivery and strikes me as somewhat of a gimmick.

1) Only your lower back is heated?

2) The batteries went dead before you got off the water?

3) What if you fall on that battery pack….no thanks!

4) Not an option for crossover kite and surf use, as the pack prohibits using a harness.

Thanks the info though, I enjoyed your video!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2008-10-30

PM

Hey Evan,

as we are not reps or experts in the design etc. just avid cold water surfers here’s what we culled so far.

1) it’s a top o’ the butt to upper back coverage of the coils.
2) I’m not sure if that was a full charge but yes the ran out at the end of a 2 hour 1C/33F water temp session at max heat.
3) The batteries have a pocket to ride in but yes, that’d hurt like hell I’d think too.
4) definitely not a cross over.  A harness would wreak havoc with it.

Still needs some long term use (this was try #3) for best review but it’s what we got so far smile.  It is damm warm when it’s on though.

Thanks for your notes.  We are going to try and test and review more gear/equip as the show continues.

Also we did an ep that talks about the Hyperflex near the end BTW.

Here it is with our notes at 7:45:

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Nice, you guys do a really thorough job, which is great to see. Big props for your video/review format, which keeps things interesting and you get to see the gear in use in real world applications by real people! I’m all about retailers who actually live the sport and use the stuff they sell.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2008-10-30

PM

EvanStolze - 06 April 2009 05:42 PM

Nice, you guys do a really thorough job, which is great to see. Big props for your video/review format, which keeps things interesting and you get to see the gear in use in real world applications by real people! I’m all about retailers who actually live the sport and use the stuff they sell.

Cheers,

Evan

Thanks,

it’s part of our thing to recc stuff that’s been tested.  That’s one of the things that sets Lance apart.

More soon!

Craig