Video OR Rise In Varadero Cuba

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

sorry guys everything is made by myself, even the music, is a bit annoying smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.
St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2008-07-12

PM

Well, this is pretty far from annoying . Really good vid.The best part is at 0:32. smile

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Nice video!

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

I am glad you like it! if i can recover the data footage from my damage hard drive I can make it longer! everything was using the Ocean Rodeo Rise 09, and 08 with the Zen and only other friend using a Cab.

saludos
ch

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Hey Charilto, any advice on kite trips to Cuba?  Always wanted to go there anyway, and if I can get some kiting done as well, then that’d be awesome.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

Hi vpas, i will comment in general but if you need a specific info about something just ask.

Cuba has lots of winds, normally 10 months out of 12 are really good, from 15 to 24 are the most commons ones, there are exceptions as well. July and August, if you can, avoid them; is beautiful in that time but the winds can be very low for 2 to 3 weeks in a row, unless there is a tropical storm or hurricane getting born near by and that will make the low wind months boost up.

So far from my experience, the best winds and spots are in Varadero, you can find places to ride with all kind of winds directions, from Varadero you can visit Habana if you are looking for a bit more than just kiting, is only 1:45 hours more less, the city of Matanzas at 35 min has amazing landscapes and places to visit. (the downwind is insane in Varadero) 30 km long and more if you keep going to “Boca” (town located 10 km outside)

Varadero has so much things to do that you wont have time for all of it. About hotels, most of them are all inclusive, from 2 stars to 5 plus, it depends on your budget to choose which one is the right one, in all of them you can kite with W, WN, N, NE winds, if you find the E, S or SW (offshore) you simply go to the other side of the peninsula, is not as nice like the beach but it will work. there also a handful of hotels that you can stay and pay with cash, or VISA, from 25 to 55 or 65$ depending on the rooms breakfast include or not etc.

note: NE wind is the dominant ones in Cuba.

I still havent post the map with the spots but I will do it as soon as i have a break smile, I have missed to tell a bunch more of information, as I say before, let me know what else you need and I will keep posting it.

saludos
charley aka charlito

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

The best part is at 0:32.

Yeah, those go joes look like they really do work   wink

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Gracias por la informaciĆ³n muchacho.

The end of summer might be difficult for me, so it looks like I need to start planning something very soon to get the wind.  I saw a couple of spots on some website, but other info is difficult to find.

I’ll let you know if I have more questions.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

no hay problema smile

I will call a friend down there and ask him for the wind stats per month for the last 10 years or so, that way i can post it together with a spot map and the people will have an idea of what to do.

cheers/saludos

charley

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2006-05-23

PM

I had a great time in Cuba in March.  Six for seven days and a couple of big days with 25+ knots and good waves.  Great downwinders in Varadero - take a taxi to the end of the peninsula and sail home.

Image Attachments

1.jpg