Opinions on buying a used 2008 Rise 12m Kite

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

Hello All!

My name is Maury and I am a beginning kitesurfer…this will be my first season!

I took 2 lessons last year from Bill at Captain Kirks San Pedro, CA.

I am 180lbs and an avid surfer & SUP, also wakeboard.

looking at a 12m kite with a few factory repaired holes from a dog, only used about 20 times on two trips with a single rider, lines/bar/bag all in great condition. 

What else should I consider about this kite before purchasing? 

I was thinking about a 10m but maybe the 12 is the best to get me going this season, plus I can pick this kite up at a bargain price.

Thanks for any input.

Signature

Kitesurfing Newport Beach, California

‘08 Ocean Rodeo 12m Rise - Ready to Fly!

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Don’t hesitate…go for it dude!
I’ve put 3 times as many sessions on my 08’ 12m and its still rockin strong!
At your weight this could be your lite wind kite with the right board, but still reaches up into the upper 20’s
comfortably.
Sure wish I’d had a kite like this when I was starting out…2 line kites were harsh, no de-power at all!

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

Okay, I’m getting it!  I need help now with my board.  I want to just put pads on my Cordell Surfboard 6’1”.  Will this work or are the surboards for Kitesurfing specialized in design for upwind riding etc.??  Also, what about the harnesses, any reccomendations?

What’s my high wind kite, 8m or 10m?

Any other pointers appreciated.

Signature

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

That surf board sounds perfect.
You could probably ride with your eyes closed right now…am I right?
Pads might not be needed if you are riding strapless…you will find that you are placing your feet all over the board
to find the perfect leverage points to oppose the traction of the kite.
I don’t think you should go out in high winds yet.
Get some flying time under your belt 1st.
High winds are serious stuff…things happen way faster and with way more power.
After you get some experience, then an 8m will fit perfectly with the 12m.
The 10m is a bit too close to the 12m.

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

Yeah, I’m getting excited now…Just need the harness so I can hit the beach and fly it.

I have taken 2 lessons with an OR 14M kite in light winds and have flown a trainer for at least 12 hours…in 10-25+ winds on the beach & fields.

So, I have a pretty good feel for things.  Getting used to depower having two functions slowing down in a dive/crossing situation and also speeding up on a rising situation.  Also getting used to the edge of the window and how depower allows the kite to fall back and gain speed…anyway, getting used to it but need to keep practicing.

If I go strapless, how much of a problem will I have loosing my board while learning?  I assume I should not wear my leash?  Any tips when learning on a surfboard?

Thanks!

Signature

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Maury,
If you know how to body-drag upwind (superman posture, one hand on the bar and one arm forward, keep the kite at 45°), you should be able to drag to your board in 2 tacks.
Leave your board leash at home, they’re pretty much a no-go for kitesurfing, as they make the board leap at you when you’re pulled out by the power of the kite, and hit you hard - mostly in the head. For twin tip board recovery convenience there’s the Ocean Rodeo Go Joe: http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/go_joe

Good luck with your new addiction! You might want to mentally prepare that gal kissing you or you’ll wind up chasing her…

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Make sure you get your girl friend hooked at this sport as well, makes holiday destinations and gear shopping no point of discussions..
Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

Janus - 21 March 2009 11:59 AM

Make sure you get your girl friend hooked at this sport as well, makes holiday destinations and gear shopping no point of discussions..
Regards,
Arjan

This is without a doubt the best advice ever given to a new rider!!! grin I used to get my way by going “alpha male” on her from time to time and if necesarry use brute force….. My girl nowadays enjoys the sport as well and lets just say she understands me better now grin

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

LOL!  I will definitely try to get her going, but, she loves the beaches and travelling.

I am getting the 12m, I couldn’t pass up the deal I got.

Signature

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-01-30

PM

Hey Maury,

We have tons of used kite gear here at Windance, lots of Ocean Rodeo,  if you need anything else check out Used Gear>Kites on our website

Thanks,

Dave
http://www.windance.com

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

Maury it sounds like you’re on your way to total kite boarding addiction, congradulations! Your surfboard should be great but don’t write off twin tips! Having both is optimal for all aspects of the sport. If you love the surf then try the OR Mako Wide. It does all of it very well. Jumping and tricks will only add to your fun in the surf. Living here in the Gorge I can attest to All the great 2008 OR stuff that Windance has in stock at incredible prices. I have an ‘08 12m Rise and love it. If you’re looking to get your girlfriend into the sport an ‘08 8 meter Rise would be a great first kite for her and one you could use on windier days. I have an ‘09 8 meter and it absolutely “rocks”! My beginner advice to you would be to NEVER get complacent about what you are doing, that’s when I have had my worst kitemares! Have fun!
Pete

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

Thanks for the advice.  I’ll get back with you Dave for some more advice.  The kite I bought was only $420 with shipping…

Signature

Joined 2009-01-30

PM

Wow, you found a deal. Did a bar/lines come with it?.

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

Yes with lines but no pump (so now I need a pump) in good condition, only used about 20 times on two trips to La ventana and Pueto Vallarta, by him only.  It will be here tomorrow.  I was concerned about the holes, but he assured me that they were factory repaired with kite material and it flies great.  Is this true?  I bid on a 10m that ended up going for I think $580??

Signature

Joined 2009-01-30

PM

I think you will be fine, they are good kites. Just be careful and respectful of the wind.

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

I appreciate it.  What’s max winds speeds for beginners?  I still havn’t felt the tug on a board only body drag and on land.  I was told to try using surfboard from the beginning so I develop the skills vs. twintip.  Not sure how an un-attached board will work jumping over waves or going through surf.

Signature