2009 Swivel & donkey dick.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2009-02-14

PM

EvanStolze - 09 April 2009 03:35 AM

We can’t engineer against all possible cases of pilot error, just as ABS, traction control, stability control, sensors etc etc are never going to prevent all car accidents.

I couldn’t agree more.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2008-12-18

PM

Kitejunkiee,

I can confirm the problem that you experience with the donkey dick and the swivel. Went out at OB last weekend and just as I was powering up, the chicken loop popped out. Not funny, and also not the first time it happened, I was thinking about maybe the harnest loop is too small, but I rode the harnest last season on a different kite brand and never had this problem. As for the swivel, I have to turn and pull on the center line to make it move, will try some lube, but I doubt that helps

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Andrea, any chance you have a Mystic harness? They have a very ” open ” spreader hook which ” encourages ” the chicken loop to pop out. Two possible solutions. 1) Bend the hook closed in a vice. 2) Get a proper hook, like the one that come with the Session harness…..smile . I’ve got almost 1000 sessions on mine and have never had my chicken loop unhook accidentally.

If you have the ‘09 bar, you can change the chicken loop to a larger size, though I don’t see that as the issue.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2008-12-18

PM

Evan,

Thanks for the hint, yes, I’m riding a Mystic firestarter and I use a ‘09 bar. The hook is smaller compared to other ones, maybe I look into a different spreader bar unless you can convince me on that session harnest smile
On a different note, my (brand new) 8m just ripped apart at a seam that’s not stiched rather than only glued, nice clean rip all the way from the the edge to the end.
Not sure if you are the right peron to talk to or if I should just send it back to OR directly?

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Andreas,

Yes, I would change out the hook or replace the harness, as from what I’ve observed it’s an issue with the Mystic hook.

Yes, I’m fully aware of the damage to your kite. There was plenty of talk about the severe pounding it took when you hammered it into the beach at OB…:). Since it’s not a warranty issue the choice us up to you, but there are two easy options. 1) Sonny at 3rd - I don’t have his info but you can probably find it on BAK, and 2) Airtime in the Gorge. http://www.airtimekite.com/map_standard.html

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2008-12-18

PM

The kite went down when the chicken loop popped out, at that time there was no damage to the kite, that happend later.
It’s a clean cut at the seam, you can actually see where it’s glued, I think these seams should be stiched instead on my 10, they are stiched, I got this one later

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Yes, I am familiar with what happened, as the crash on the beach that split it open was viewed by several team riders and one of our retailers. They also mentioned you crashed it repeatedly in the surf prior to the one on the beach that caused the split. If you feel it is a legitimate warranty claim please email me detailed photos of the damage along with the serial number of the kite.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2008-12-18

PM

Just to clear this up, as I know how these stories develop over time…On the first tack the chicken loop popped out while I was only a few meters away from shore and the kite came down. I didn’t crash it into the surf at all after that. 10minutes later it ripped while I made a turn, close enough to shore so I was able to land it on the beach.
I’ll be happy to send you a pic or meet you somewhere and show it you and you can decide if this is a quality issue or not.
My opinion is, a seam in the middle of the canopy should be stiched not only glued, especially on a kite that you take out when it’s really blowing.

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

To clear up my end, it’s not a story that ” developed over time “. I was informed about it shortly after it happened directly by those who saw it take place.  As I said earlier, if you think it is a legitimate warranty issue than please email me the photos so I can pass them on to our warranty department.  As the expression goes, ” the proof is in the pudding “.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

In regards to the chicken loop coming out, mine fixed itself. I now know the problem. Over time the donkey dick has gotten less rigid and has more flex. Before it was too rigid so it would hit the harness and push itself out. I havent had a problem for a while now, just took a few sessions to get it more flexible!

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2009-07-13

PM

EvanStolze - 23 February 2009 08:53 PM

The issue is likely with your harness hook. Some are more open than others, and as such can be prone to both the dick (and subsequently) the chicken loop popping out. Make sure it’s not stone cold, and then clamp it in a vice to close it up a bit.

With regards to the swivel, yours may need some lube, as in general the ‘09 swivel works very well in my own experience and from what I have observed.

I am testing this stuff out for sailing applications, and will also give it a go on the trim line and swivel to see if there is any benefit.

http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

Cheers,

Evan

Please let us know how Sailkote perfoms on the trim line versus wax. Thx.

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

I’ve never bothered with wax, as I get 75 to 100 sessions with a single trim line anyway and it takes me less than five minutes to replace it with a new one. With two bars in the rotation, that basically means I kite an entire season (250 sessions or so) spending about ten minutes on gear maintenance - I can live with that….smile

Sailkote does prevent sand from sticking to the trim line but I dunk my bar the minute I get in the water anyway, and it seems to wear off quickly. I wouldn’t bother with it.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2009-05-11

PM

2) The new Swivel. After doing backrolls / rotations and untwisting the lines sometimes the swivel wont swivel. I have to stop and give it a jerk and twist to get it swiveling again.

I have the same problem with the swivel, too. It´s really anoying.

Will there be new swivels with better performance/quality ??

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

spumoni - 19 July 2009 01:20 PM

2) The new Swivel. After doing backrolls / rotations and untwisting the lines sometimes the swivel wont swivel. I have to stop and give it a jerk and twist to get it swiveling again.

I have the same problem with the swivel, too. It´s really anoying.

Will there be new swivels with better performance/quality ??

Yes, here’s a quick look at the new 2010 bar and swivel.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales