2009 Swivel & donkey dick.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

andy - 22 February 2009 09:27 PM

I have not had any issues with my dick. Never had it fall out once. Noticeably longer than last year.

As for the swivel nothing untoward to report at this time.

oh boy big surprise  andy your right it is slightly larger then last yr   - try taking the elastic band off the end

harry.allerston - 24 February 2009 03:12 PM

as for the donkey dick…  wink  cut the bugger off!

i dont think andy could apparently he usually mistakes his bobby stick for something else….

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

sorry that was out of line

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

grin Where’s my package then Brian? Still not arrived!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

ohh

hmmmm thats not good

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2006-05-24

PM

Here is a safety issue with the 09 bar. If your kite goes down in the water and a steering line wraps around the bar, when you relaunch the kite( yes the kite will relaunch like this.It’s happened to me 3 times with me relauching the kite and the kite relauching itself.)the chicken loop snugs up super tight to the bar.The quick release will not release .This happened with the 08 bar as well but at least you can peel the velcro off in a panic and release from the loop.Not so with the 09 bar.the only way out is to unhook the donkey and unhook the loop.This happened to me last week. Has anybody else had this happen or am I the only lucky one.I think this is a serious safety issue which I think will occer more and more as riders use the bar this season .One time the kite relaunched by itself with a steering line wrapped.I looked at other bars IE the North which has a simular release but the distance the release cuff has to travel is only about 1 cm as compared to 6cm on the OR bar. I successfully released the north bar under load but found it impossible with our OR bar.So far I prefer the 08 system. I didn’t think changing the old system was a great idea unless the new system was tested for these types of problems.If someone has a solution other than not dumping your kite in the water I would love to here about it.Dean

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Hi Dean,

Sorry, but I don’t understand how this happens and have neither experienced it myself nor heard of a single instance of it from anyone other than yourself. Perhaps you can clarify so we can better understand what is happening?

1) How does your steering line become wrapped around the bar? It is possible to get caught on the end (if your lines go slack) but we’re only talking about shortening up the line by a couple of inches - not enough for the kite to relaunch without the kiter intending it to, and it’s typically easy to fix that quickly with one quick tug to free it up.

2) Even if #1 does take place, you can still let go or sheet out the bar, and assuming you are hooked in you can push the eject cuff to release. The only way this would not be possible is if you are riding with the stopper pulled down to the very bottom of the trim line, which is neither recommended or of any advantage in any circumstance.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2006-05-24

PM

Hi Evan,
When your kite is in the water and you trying to relaunch you pull on a steering line and point the bar.I think it has happened when I’ve made an unsuccessful relaunch attempt and let go of the steering line which has now lots of slack it can wrap easily. Thinking back on the events I also the trim line is wrapped as well as the steering line so you can’t push the bar out at all.I’m not making this up nor am I a beginer kiter.It’s happened 3 times all of which have been some of the scariest moments of my kiting career. This can happen with any bar.I’m saying I like the old velcro system as it gives you another way out. Hope that clarifies it a bit.Dean

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Dean,
Thanks for sharing your concern.
For relaunching of SLE kites in general, the bar needs to be pushed out a lot. In light winds only, it helps to pull on one back line. When you do that, you can extend your arm sideways in order to pull the upper tip of the kite back, in order to assist the kite in standing on its side for launching. This way, if you let go of the back line, it won’t wrap around the bar. Try to keep tension on the lines as much as possible. If the wind is so low you can’t relaunch, it’s probably better to take a break too.

Having the back line wrapped around the bar is nasty but as Evan points out, it shouldn’t launch or loop the kite as letting the bar go it auto-balances the back lines and lets the kite fly normal. Wrapping the trim loop around the bar with the QR cuff against it is something else, I can imagine this could somehow occur when it gets gnarly, like no wind and large swell wipe outs.

I will look into this closely and discuss it inside the R&D team.

Joined 2006-05-24

PM

Thanks for the replies.I thought about this more and it is “definately” the trimloop which gets wrapped not the steering line making it very hard or impossible to release.
  Set your bar up as you would to check your line lengths. Hook in ,wrap the trim line around.Lean back and tension the lines.Now try releasing the cuff.I think you will see what I mean.
  At least with the velcro closure you can peel it off and escape.Other than that I love the bar.I’ve been riding and selling OR gear for the past 7 years.That’s it.
  happy riding!!! grin Dean

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-09-16

PM

Hi Dean,

I wasn’t suggest you were making it up, just trying to get an idea of how or what you were doing to get these wraps. Now that you have clarified, my inclination is that you are pulling in way more line than you need to, and as such ending up with a bunch of slack line when you let go. As Rudo mentions, the easiest and most efficient way to relaunch an SLE is to let the bar sheet out as much as possible. I let my bar out all the way to my stopper (which I set at about an arm’s length). At this point if it’s blowing hard, the kite will begin to relaunch itself - if the wind is lighter or the kite has not started to rotate I pull in on a steering line, but no more than what I can reach with one big pull - perhaps a 18” at most.  Pulling anymore than that invites problems and won’t give you any advantage.  If this isn’t working then the wind is too light, and you should coax the kite partially onto it’s back with a few strokes (old skool C kite style) before pulling an outside line.

In general, letting any of your lines go slack (especially to the point where they can wrap) is inviting trouble, and in the case of an SLE, is counter to what you want to do relaunch the kite. Granted it can happen in large surf and light wind, and is sometimes unavoidable.

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,

Evan

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Dean - 07 April 2009 02:45 PM

Thanks for the replies.I thought about this more and it is “definately” the trimloop which gets wrapped not the steering line making it very hard or impossible to release.
  Set your bar up as you would to check your line lengths. Hook in ,wrap the trim line around.Lean back and tension the lines.Now try releasing the cuff.I think you will see what I mean.
  At least with the velcro closure you can peel it off and escape.Other than that I love the bar.I’ve been riding and selling OR gear for the past 7 years.That’s it.
  happy riding!!! grin Dean

Hi Dean,
I find it very hard to imagine what happens, can you draw it or make a picture?
Thx,
Arjan

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2006-05-23

PM

I have had the same problem as Dean with the 08 bar and released with the velcro.  In my case I got rolled in the surf and the lines got wrapped.  It can also happen if you down loop the kite as you are turning towards it, dump the kite and over shoot your lines.

Joined 2006-05-24

PM

Thanks for all the tips on how to launch the kite.There are some great points there. One of my incidents happened in mid sized surf where i was tumbled toward the kite,once was in light wind where I made the mistake of allowing too much slack while relaunching, the other was in high wind where the kite relaunched itself after a wipeout toward the kite so you can see the wrapping can happen in all conditions. Because the SLE kites relaunch easily they will relaunch even with the TL wrapped. So if you ride in the surf a lot ,are learning new tricks where your crashing you kite or a newbie learning the potential exists at all levels.
  Not to be promoting the north bar but if you check out their chicken loop you will see that the it cannot become totally snug against the bar which allows it to release .I’m sure they engineered it this way for this reason.Dean

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2007-05-22

PM

Lots of talk about dicks—I’m getting scared—have I just entered an aol chat room?

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Agreed, way too much talk about dick here….....

We certainly do not want to be taking our cues from the North bar…..that ” micro loop ’ thing is very dangerous. That is a weak attempt at mitigating complaints of excess bar pressure. We witnessed a serious accident in Ventana in which the rider accidentally hooked into it and powered up the kite. Multiple broken bones, facial injuries etc etc. There is also a report of a kiter losing his leg due to a similar incident, and this bar is the subject of a current post on KF.

Our bar is very simple, functional, reliable, serviceable and safe. Sure, wraps of varying sorts are possible, but it’s just the nature of our sport. We can’t engineer against all possible cases of pilot error, just as ABS, traction control, stability control, sensors etc etc are never going to prevent all car accidents.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales