Broke 2 lines today, 09 rise.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

Was doing a few rotations and I over took the kite, the kite fell out of the sky before quickly powering up ( at the same time a big gust hit 30+kts). Broke a centre line and a steering line.

What I should of done is quickly moved the stopper up further so the kite wouldnt of powered up. Anyway just one regret thought I would share hopefuly prevents someone else doing the same thing!

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Wow I wish we had these winds here. Must have been quite a blow then! On positive thing, the 09 Rise can handle impact above 850lbs, assuming one line snapped first. Lines are easier replaced than a torn up canopy. Make sure you get a full set to compensate for uneven stretching.
Do you think the impact would have been less if the stopper was set at sliding (with the red thing set further out)?

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

I havent got the adjustable stopper, have the first 09 bar - still has 800lb - 850lb lines. If the stopper had of been set further away from the bar I have no doubt I would of been ok. I had the stopper set about 1/2 a bar length from the bar - usaully have it set 3/4 up. Though at the very same time my mate on hes 08 air rush also broke 1 line, though he got dragged a fair way in - I was quite lucky flagged it st8 up.

On another note - the 09 swivel seems to ‘not swivel’ sometimes after twisting the lines and requires me to stop and grab the swivel and loosen it up. Anyone else find this? I notcied its a different swival than the 08 bar.

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Wow! Broken lines….I sincerely hope that that was all that got broken?

As for the swivel I had a similar issue with my ‘08 one at times. Not all the time mind. Can’t say I’ve had much of a problem with the ‘09m one but there’s been a distinct lack of time on the water just of late mainly due to lack of wind.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Where did the lines part at, near the leader lines or the kite?

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

The center line tore apart at the bar end, very close to the bar. The steering line ripped off where it joins on to the the sleeve, right at the end of the 21m line, just before it joins onto the 3m extensions.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

wow. thats an incredible amount of power dude!
If the lines had’nt parted you might have had your harness ripped off!

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Junkie,

I am sorry to hear that! Please get photos into the dealer you bought the kite from and we will gladly get you a line set…!

As for the swivels.. oh geez, don’t get me started! The short story is that we had crummy swivels last year and have gone to much nicer ones. I find they swivel out fine but certainly if you have too many twists in the line it will jam up a bit. The swivel relies on a spreader to create leverage from the angle the lines are being pulled at in order “auto” swivel back to true. If you have too many twists there will be no outward pull on the lines and the swivel won’t come around by itself. (On another note, kiting with twists in your lines - by which I mean steering over front - can lead to line snaps due to friction…)

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

Thanks john, It was a pretty wild gust probaby up around 35kts (up from 18-20kts), in fact im glad the lines broke and not the kite, better the lines than the kite.

I always untwist the lines staight after they twist, as I know twists and knots can cause lines to break much easier.

Either way ill send some pics to your R&D team as requested by the pm.

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

wink

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc