Maui rentals

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

Looking for cheap rental gear or OR dealer in Maui. Gonna be there in March and really dont want to pay $200 to bring my board. Anyone have any thoughts?

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-04-15

PM

Another other option is to ship your board ahead.  I sent mine US postal priority mail for $30 insured to Maui last trip.  You can send it to one of the local post offices and they will hold it for 5 days for you to pick it up. 

Since I was arriving on a Saturday afternoon, after the post office would be closed, I ended up sending mine to a local kite shop I called and they said they would hold it for me.

Hawaiian Island rents boards, and I think Neil Pryde does.  The Naish Pro Center might.  You might contact some of the schools there like KSM.  All these are located near the airport and on the way to kite beach.

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

I am on the Big Island…otherwise I would hook you up w/ one of my OR boards. Dave_5280 has some good advice. I would call ahead to see what kind of rentals are available and if it would be cost effective. May just be worth trying to bring your board in a golf-style bag or something. I have had decent luck with bringing my NSI Deceiver bag to/from the mainland. Let me know if you have any more Hawaii-related questions:)

Davie

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

thanks for the advise, appreciate it.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2008-07-12

PM

Please let us know how the trip went, Maui is on my “to go” list ! Enjoy the ride there!

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

I’m going in October and looking for the same thing, i want to bring my Mako, but…......it’s $150 each way on Delta if my golf bag doesn’t work. I’m interested to see if there’s anywhere to ride other than Kite Beach, I’m on the west side and would like to ride near the hotel.

Anywho, if anyone knows of Mako rentals in Maui, let me know

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

ajones - 09 September 2009 03:59 PM

I’m going in October and looking for the same thing, i want to bring my Mako, but…......it’s $150 each way on Delta if my golf bag doesn’t work. I’m interested to see if there’s anywhere to ride other than Kite Beach, I’m on the west side and would like to ride near the hotel.

Anywho, if anyone knows of Mako rentals in Maui, let me know

I don’t think anyone rents Makos in Maui…but check the places Dave_5280 lists above to see what they have to offer.

On a north wind some of the guys kite near Honokowai/Kaanapali. The launch I saw was pretty tight and it is directly sideshore. Kind of a local spot too so be considerate. Your chances of a north wind in October are kind of slim, but it could happen. A small chance for S/SW winds too…in which case you would want to go to Kihei. The NE trades blow mostly offshore on the west side, so I wouldn’t push it. You can make it over to kite beach in about 45 minutes if you time it right and miss traffic. Kihei is a bit closer but not as nice. Kite beach will likely have waves that time of year, so it could be epic. PM me if you have more questions.