South Padre or Hatteras?

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2008-09-14

PM

I have been going to South Padre in April and totally enjoy it.  Looking for a change, and thought Hatteras might be good.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  How is the weather this time of year?  Water temp? Wind?.  I would be going out of Vancouver.  What is the best place to fly into?  Norfolk?.  Where are the best spots to find accommodation, house or condo?
There are usually 5 or 6 guys in our group mostly intermediate.  Anyone else interested? Advice please.
Thanks

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Hey been to Hatteras several times now in April, it’s be cooler the SP, wind is good, you’ll need full wetsuit and booties down to shorts it all depends on wind directions if coming from the North it can be cool and the water in the sound cools off, if southerlies are there it warms up nicely and usually a shorty would do down to just shorts temps can be anywhere from 10C to 25C.  Two years ago I had 14 out of 14 days with a mix of North and South winds.  Last year was 12 out of 14 so pretty reliable.  Depending on weight bring a big and small kites.  As the wind can be light, but usually around the 15knt.  Tons of places to stay and beautiful homes.  Million dollar homes for $900 a week.  places to google, Hatteras Realty, Surf or Sound Realty and there other ones.  I stay in Salvo/Waves/Rodanthe area about 35 km from Avon biger center, Salvo is where the Real Kiteboarding center is located, Avon has more to offer.  Downwinders are awesome there either on the sound or the ocean depending on wind direction.  Last year my group rented two houses for two weeks it cost each person $600 for the two weeks this included all the drinks, food and your room, pretty good value.  As for flying Norfolk is the place to land as you are only a few hours away from the kiting place no problem renting vehicle there also.  You should not be disappointed.  Don’t expect any night life and many girls.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

Come on out to the OBX. We have great riding all the way from Nags Head to Hatteras. April is usually one of the better months for wind. NW and NE winds will be bring cooler/colder temps and gustier wind conditions. SW and SE winds will bring warmer temps and smoother wind. You can find cheap rental accommodations anywhere in the OBX in the early spring. There is more nightlife and restaurants in the Kitty Hawk/Nags Head area. However, Avon or Waves offer the best options for quicker access to any riding area North or South.

Kitty Hawk Kites has a new public launch area at their store in Waves. They have a nice grass area to rig on, air compressors, free sand bags, public restrooms, heated showers, and changing stalls. PASA level 2 certification or the IKO equivalent is required to launch from the site. The crew there can also show all the good launch areas and downwinders in the area.

Signature

Aloha! Jeff Rockett, , All over the world!

Joined 2008-09-14

PM

Thanks for the info.  Still undecided,  South Padre is so nice and warm in April. 
Neal

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Here’s a link to the house we are renting this year.

http://www.hatterasrealty.com/rental/house.html?ID=520

enjoy

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Joined 2008-09-14

PM

Wow!