Nick tries the mako 140, and likes it
Posted: 07 January 2009 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

I shot this little video of Nick kiting on lake washington today.
Gnarley conditions, 35 to 45 plus!
That 7m has amazing top end, and you can tell Nick is liking that mako 140.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_5O8gueYZo

Nick getting ready to spin into a transition at full speed.

Nick carving a high speed gybe.

Catching some big air in front of Mikes kite.

Who has the right of way? Us or them.

Posted: 08 January 2009 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-01-24

Looks fun. I just had another great session on my 140 today. It is a perfect winter board for me…eats up the chop, tons of fun in the waves, helps out in the lulls, and can still boost.

Posted: 08 January 2009 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

We both made it out today.
I was on a 134 mako and a 12m Rise for lunch, and came in and launched the 8m Rise for Nick.
This was his 1st session with the 8m, and he seemed to adapt quickly and started pushing it.
This guy is really good and fun to watch.
Blustery and kinda flat conditions in the 20 to 30 range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e1R1-jNsNs

Posted: 08 January 2009 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2007-11-20

Depends on the country.  I’ve found that in Canada both sides give way to the point of stalemate.  In Spain and Italy both sides assume right of way and just pull out, the other guy sits on his horn and tailgates for 2 miles.  In England one will pull out infront of the other, and the other guy will swear at the other guy whilst locking his door.  Ooops, I digress.

In those situations I always drop downwind.  When I was windsurfing and knew nothing about kites, having the lines/kite come above me used to freak me out.  I just extend courtesy to the other guys and get out their way.  It seems to be appreciated every time.

Signature 

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Posted: 16 January 2009 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-12-27
vpas - 08 January 2009 01:17 PM

Depends on the country.  I’ve found that in Canada both sides give way to the point of stalemate.  In Spain and Italy both sides assume right of way and just pull out, the other guy sits on his horn and tailgates for 2 miles.  In England one will pull out infront of the other, and the other guy will swear at the other guy whilst locking his door.  Ooops, I digress.

In those situations I always drop downwind.  When I was windsurfing and knew nothing about kites, having the lines/kite come above me used to freak me out.  I just extend courtesy to the other guys and get out their way.  It seems to be appreciated every time.

In UK, sailing rules are that starboard tack has right of way i.e.  moving to your right with back to wind, so in this picture the kitesurfer has right of way. Common sense should always prevail though and etiquette over wave riding in my opinion i.e if someone is riding on a nice wave or setting up for a big jump, I get out of their way!  Never had a problem at my spot - everyone happy just to be on the water and never too busy.

Posted: 18 January 2009 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2006-11-22
md01 - 16 January 2009 08:18 PM
vpas - 08 January 2009 01:17 PM

In UK, sailing rules are that starboard tack has right of way i.e.  moving to your right with back to wind, so in this picture the kitesurfer has right of way. Common sense should always prevail though and etiquette over wave riding in my opinion i.e if someone is riding on a nice wave or setting up for a big jump, I get out of their way!  Never had a problem at my spot - everyone happy just to be on the water and never too busy.

Same goes for Denmark. I that exact situation, common sense would dictate that the kitesurfer would bear off ever so slightly and pass downwind of the windsurfer. In Denmark that we are extra nice to windsurfers since they have common interests to keep windsport areas open.

Kirk

Signature 

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Posted: 19 January 2009 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2007-11-20
md01 - 16 January 2009 08:18 PM

In UK, sailing rules are that starboard tack has right of way

Indeed.  I digressed into a satire on different driving standards, in case anyone missed it. grin

Signature 

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One