2009 Rise 12m low-end

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

I’m looking for a kite that can do the 10-12knots well.

I am 150lbs and currently ride the OR One 12m. I’ve been riding mostly gusty choppy waters for the past two years, but also some low-tide flat water. I would say my water skills are intermediate at this point but there is much to learn. I also landboard in late fall and snowkite in the winter and I own 9m and 7m One kites. I love OR gear and would like to stick with it.

I can make my 12m One work in mostly 12knots and above. It can handle some lulls to 10 knots but anything below that and the kite becomes very hard to turn. I know what the 12m One can do and can milk it for all it’s got. But really wish I can ride a kite in 10-12 knots which can still turn nicely and provide some grunt to at least hold my ground. I ride a 144 cm CrazyFly all around board.

I would appreciate if folks that flew the 12m can comment on the low-end ability. I understand the 2009 Rise has some new features that supposedly help with the low-end.

Another feature which I am curious about is the reverse launch. I use this feature in winter and hopefully the Rise can do the reverse launch as easy as the One.

Thanks,
—Paul

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

The 2009 Rise 12 will have more or less similar low-end as the one 2007 12. It is heaps more fun though to use the rise. Turns way faster, lower bar pressure and way more direct.

Reverse launch by pulling the 2 steering lines is a piece of cake.

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

As wouter said, the 12m Rise will have a similar low end but turn faster and have more direct steering…which I think may give it an edge on the low end. After the flying the One which I really enjoyed, you will love the Rise.

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

low end on the 12 is insane. had one for a few months and ended up going with the 10 as my big kite. still have plenty of low end with 10. i weigh 170lb.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I owned the 12 one & now use the 6, 10 & 14 RISE’s ... The turning speed of the RISE kites is way quicker than the ONE thus providing a lot more power with a smaller size ... Bar pressure is a fraction of what you have with the ONE ... Try a 10 RISE to replace the 12 ONE ... I only use the 14 for rare 8 knot days, it turns about the same as your 12 ONE ...

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I understand the kite will turn faster so it will be more fun to fly.
But now there’s two opinions saying the low-end is more or less the same as my 12m One and two which say it is better.
Have any of you been out in the 10-12knot days with a 12m Rise 2009 ?
Does the 12m Rise weigh less than the 12m One ? I would think, yes, but the bomb-proof construction is still there for the Rise, which adds weight to the kite. Not saying the weight of the kite is the deciding factor, but in light winds a lighter kite will at least stay in the air easier.

Thanks,
—Paul

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

The 12 Rise has more usable low end than the 12 One. It is a grunty kite, whereas the 12 One needs apparent wind (boardspeed) to work well when things get light. The Rise is much lighter than the One - construction is still bomber but the Rise has fewer struts which is significant.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

i owned a 12 one and i think my 2007 10m rise has tthe same bottom end. so therefore by that reasoning the 12 rise would be better. also the rise is INFINATELY more fun to ride that the one, which always seemed a bit of a bus in anything bigger than the 9m.

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I’m replacing my 12m One with a 12m Rise.  I tried the Rise in similar conditions that I would have used my One in, and found that it suited those conditions, and whilst I might have got away with a 10m, I liked having the additional power.  It’s difficult to give you a definitive answer, as what works for some people in 10knots doesn’t work for others.

I know for me (80kg) in my local spot, that if it’s 10knots, I want my 14m and probably some help from the tide as well.  But, I’m only 2 years into this thing, so someone that can fly better than I can may easily get going on their 12m.  Obviously the board comes into it too.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One