Mako Surf 08—how is it as a first directional
Posted: 25 December 2008 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2007-05-22

I am thinking of giving myself a late Christmas present of a demo Mako Surf.  I have spent no time on directionals, but ride in Malibu, CA—where everybody is catching waves (while I catch air)  Would this board be a good pick for a 180 pound rider new to directionals?  Thanks.

Happy New Year!

Matt

Posted: 27 December 2008 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2008-03-29

i had a 08 mako surf and did not like it, make sure you demo one first. it was also my first directional and i weight 175. sounds like the 09 are much lighter and have different strap placement

Posted: 27 December 2008 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

I have no problems riding the 08 surf, tracks wonderfully and the concave smooths the chop out nicely.
But I know others who have a hard time with it.
I prefer it in single fin mode, slides out a bit, is easier on the knees and I can ride it reverse and still point upwind.
The board is super tough, and would make a sweet 1st directional because you will probably beat it a bit before you get it dialed in. Sounds like you might have found a good price on one, I’d go for it.
I haven’t tried the 09’, lighter would be better for this hull. Swing weight is a factor at times.
By the way…
The mako wide TT is way easier to ride than any directional or TT made and rips the holy crud out of waves.
You could step into one of those without having to worry about switching stance, might be worth the extra money.

Posted: 28 December 2008 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2007-01-03

can vouch for the wide in waves.. it carves like a dream, but you can still boost with it

Signature 

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Posted: 30 December 2008 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2007-05-22

Thanks guys—I have a Mako “classic” and have ridden my friend’s wide 150—that is a hell of a board.  I guess I will scrounge a few extra bucks and buy a wide this Spring.  Now the next question 140 cm or 150 cm?  Cheers and happy New Year!

Matt