140 or 150?

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2007-11-05

PM

So the 150 wide is truly the nicest board i’ve ever ridden, was on my friends 08 all weekend in hatteras and it’s just mind bogglingly good, i don’t know why everyone is not riding this board!??

So i wanna get one but i’m not sure if i should get the 140 or 150? I loved the 150 but it is rather big and i travel a lot which would be somewhat annoying, wondering how big a difference there would be going down to the 140?

I’m 170lbs, ride in all kinds of conditions…
I know i need a mako, and i kinda want the smaller one so i can move it around, but, if it’s not gonna be as incredible as the 150 then i won’t be happy smile

Any input would be great from people who have experience!

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rise 2008 6m, 2010 9m, 2009 12m, Diablo 2008 8m / 12m, Mako Wide 140, Flysurfer Speed 2 19m

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Domdino,

I bought the 150 this summer (I wished it was 140..) and had a blast with it on my vacation to Corsica. Well you know how the 150 is. Used my 6m P3 a lot (great wind and waves)

I also travel once a year to family by plane… so when the 140 came out I ordered one..it would be better for travel and even if it got 85% performance of the 150 I would happy..

It took a while, had a family visit without the 140 (but I didn’t get any wind, so it didn’t matter), but then it was there..
A bit improved straps, nice graphics (though I loved the looks of the Mako 08 range). But after I had the 150 I really didn’t care about the looks anymore (as long as it got some red or orange in it, which I think is better for visibility), its the ride that counts!

I used the 140 once so far, with my 8 and 6 m P3. The board will not have the same drive as the 150 but it is really close.
The 140 is fun to ride, toeside-heelside switching by sliding and jumping is really easy. No whip tricks are possible but when i really want to go for that I take my 666. The 140 doesn’t spray, just like the 150. Going fast, no problem. Carving?.. Mako style !! It is a little bit more sensible for nosediving when you push it, the 150 almost could not be nosedived by me (67kg clean..)

I think the 140 is a bit better ...

Don’t know if I’m any help.. but you really won’t be disapointed in the 140, get it… wink

Sunday we get some wind again, can’t wait ..

Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2007-11-05

PM

Thanks Arjan
I love the p3, more than the p4 to be honest smile
I used the 135 mako pro from 07 for a little while as well which i quite liked but it doesn’t have anything on the 150 mako wide. I just wanna make sure it shares the best attributes with the 150 and it sounds like it does. Wish i could try one first, so expensive!!! smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rise 2008 6m, 2010 9m, 2009 12m, Diablo 2008 8m / 12m, Mako Wide 140, Flysurfer Speed 2 19m

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi again,
Looks like we both got something the other wants to try… any chance you come to holland this weekend? ...  wink
I would like to give the 09 Rises a try aswell as the P4.. or maybe a used p3 10 to complete my quiver P3’s (6,8 & 13)
Pumping again?.. leeking bladders?.. self starting and landing a tube?.. don’t feels that good…
choices… finance… tough job!

Maybe your OR dealer can give you some garantees like when you’re disapointed in the 140 it can be switched to a 150.. I bet you won’t switch back..

Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Hey Yo!

This is a subject close to my heart because I LOVE the Mako line of boards and ride both the 140 and 150. Here’s my take on the boards.

Similarities:
- Both boards rip in the choppy coastal conditions that many of us ride it, both smooth this water out and make the chop fun to play in and not a pain to get through
- Both boards carve incredibly aggressively, more on this below though
- Both boards allow for massive air as they both dig so deep into the water when you are setting an edge and loading your lines.
- Neither board will have nose spray in your eye - welcome to the Mako Revolution!

Differences:
- The 140 is a much looser board in the nose. This is excellent for a more free ride feel when cruising the waves and water, looking for fun and wanting to be able to pop around to switch super quick, etc.
- The 150 is more “locked in”, making the transition to switch a more dedicated move, more forethought needed. This locked in feeling is excellent though at high speeds. When I want to drop the hammer and ride fast the 150 is the board for sure, the 140 just feels a bit too nervous in the nose for me to really hammer at speeds.
- I agree with Janus that the 150 is almost impossible to stuff the nose on, where as the 140 you can bury it but it does take a lot of effort to do so.
- I do think that the 150 carves harder than the 140. It’s a subjective view but I feel more confident jamming a hard turn on the 150, though the 140 is no slouch when it comes to hard carves… it might just be a mental thing for me.

All in all the 2 boards ride very similarly but there are these subtle differences.

Also, regarding travel, I have an NSI deceiver bag and the 150 fits in there (just barely, but it fits) and I - so far - have not been charged extra for the baggage.

Hope that helps!

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2008-10-05

PM

Janus - 03 December 2008 09:16 PM

Hi again,
Looks like we both got something the other wants to try… any chance you come to holland this weekend? ...  wink
I would like to give the 09 Rises a try aswell as the P4.. or maybe a used p3 10 to complete my quiver P3’s (6,8 & 13)
Pumping again?.. leeking bladders?.. self starting and landing a tube?.. don’t feels that good…
choices… finance… tough job!

Maybe your OR dealer can give you some garantees like when you’re disapointed in the 140 it can be switched to a 150.. I bet you won’t switch back..

Regards,
Arjan

ok

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Frank,
Just answered a topic on Kitehigh.nl
I’m in the North of Holland, Mirns if the wind suites the spot otherwise Stavoren or Workum. North sea more in the recreational season when the familie can stay at the campsites.
Yesterday a very nice day with my 6m and the 140, ice all over my suit, lines and bar..
The 140 is Great!

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2008-10-05

PM

Janus - 14 December 2008 09:52 PM

Hi Frank,
Just answered a topic on Kitehigh.nl
I’m in the North of Holland, Mirns if the wind suites the spot otherwise Stavoren or Workum. North sea more in the recreational season when the familie can stay at the campsites.
Yesterday a very nice day with my 6m and the 140, ice all over my suit, lines and bar..
The 140 is Great!

thx

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2006-03-03

PM

Just tried my new 140 mako yesterday after sitting on the fence the last while deciding what board to get.

Haven’t tried the 150 yet but the 140 was magic.

Yesterday was the first time ever I’ve had fun in steep sloppy chop. In the past normally it’s bang, bang, bang through the chop fighting to hold a clean edge to drive upwind, but now it’s a gentle barely noticeable bump, bump, bump and crankin wherever I want. Kinda like a hovercraft…

Lester