Center line chafing on 08 bar

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2006-06-29

PM

Because the stainless steel insert on the 08 bar does not abrade as fast as the epoxy that fastens it to the bar, after many hours of use the edge of the insert becomes a point where very significant chafing occurs with the center line. I now have to replace my center line after about every 20 hours of use. Is there any way to reduce center line chafing?

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

I used to have a similar problem - having to replace the center line every 3-4 months.

You need to wax the centerline - I use regular surf wax - simply apply it liberally the first few times, then every 6th session or so and your centerline will last significantly longer.  I have not had to change my trim line once since using this technique. 

Try it - you’ll be pleased.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

Indeed just wax it wit sexwax and it will last about 3x longer. Also replace before breaking. OR keeps the cost of replacement lines very low.

Joined 2006-06-29

PM

I had considered waxing but I thought sand might stick to the wax and accelerate the problem. Apparently that’s not an issue. I will definately try the wax, but wouldn’t it be nice if OR had some kind of retro-fit insert that would solve the problem entirely? After all, this is a defect in the equipment and a significant saftey issue. I broke a center line once and it was not fun. I never want that to happen again so I replace regularly.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

Post a pic of your SS insert. Easy to see if anything is wrong with it. Exactly the same insert is used by many brands. Just wax your trimline where the bar travels up to where you normally place your stopper.

Joined 2006-06-29

PM

After 8 months of use the good news is that waxing really does increase the life of your center line. I’ve only had to replace it once after about 150 hours of use.

The bad news is that my fears about sand/dirt sticking to the waxed center line and thereby becoming an abrasion issue were well founded. The stainless steel insert has now completely worn away and the center hole in my bar is rapidly expanding to the point that my bar will soon be unusable. I’m now forced to use the ‘06 bar I got with my One.

I’m a loyal OR customer, but I think the ‘08 bar had a serious design flaw with regard to how the metal insert was installed. I just got a smaller ‘09 bar with a 10m rise and the center hole is finished with a vastly improved insert.

Here’s a pic of my ‘08 bar. Is there anything that can be done at this point to save it?

Image Attachments

Abraded 08 bar.jpg

Joined 2006-06-29

PM

I had this post out there for a while now with no reply, so I had to take matters into my own hands. I’m pretty sure if I epoxy this bushing into the hole it should end my chaffing issues. I’ll let you know how it works.

http://mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RWOR3054&Category;_Code=

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Gargaza, I just noticed this post for the first time now, and I have to say that I’ve never seen a bar look like that before. The normal process to inquire about a possibly warranty is to contact the retailer from which you purchased your equipment brand new, who will then work with us to take care of it. I’m assuming you have not done this yet, but if you have tried this route and for some reason not received support from your retailer, please feel free to contact us directly (by phone , Skype or email, not the forum -  we are not on top of this like we are direct inquiries).

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2006-06-29

PM

Evan - Thanks for the reply. I would have brought the bar in to the dealer (Cali Kites), but I bought the bar, lines and kite (08 14m Rise) as a demo. Brian said it was your kite Evan. I assumed it either did not come with a warranty and/or the warranty was for one year only and had lapsed by the time I noticed the problem.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2008-09-25

PM

I broke a few at first with both the metal pass-thru and the carbon fiber hole. Waxing my trimline has stopped the breakage! I know it seems dumb to put sticky wax on something you want to stay sand free, but I’ll let the results do the talking. keep an extra trimline around. every bar and lines has its achilles heel.

Signature

Have fun out there!