How do I adjust the length of my flying lines.
Posted: 12 September 2008 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-09-11

Hi,

I read on another thread that if your two flying lines are not the same length it can cause problems. 

I have an ‘08 Rise with ‘08 bar. I know how to adjust the length of my steering lines, but how do I adjust the length of the flying lines.

Any info would help.

Thanks

Posted: 12 September 2008 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-09-11

All 4 lines should already be the same length.
If not, you should adjust the steering lines to match the flying lines.
(Remember that those kook proof connectors are added afterwards, and make the steering lines a bit longer)
Hope this helps!

Signature 

experience the stoke

http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com/

Posted: 12 September 2008 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2007-10-02

If you need to shorten or lengthen the back lines, the just move up the floaters on the outside lines and then either tie new knots in the leader line or use the existing ones. Either way, both front and back lines should be the same length when placed on the ground (not attached to the kite or using the leader lines on the kite that go with the back lines).

Posted: 13 September 2008 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-09-11

Thanks Guys,

But the problem is the two flying lines are not the same length. So I need to shorten/lenghten one of them.

Posted: 13 September 2008 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi,
I needed to replace a power line and found that the new one (the gray one) was around 7cm shorter than the original one, so here’s how I fixed it. The piece of blue spectra line is cut from a worn out pulley bar leader line, the end with the loop was still intact so I could use that.
You can also make a short extension line by taking the double length of line you think you need, and fold it double, ty the ends with a figure of 8 knot at the right length. For an example of such a line, check out the attachment point lines on the leading edge of your kite. If you’re lucky you can even use one of these as 4 out 8 are unemployed anyway.

Alternatively, if the difference is less than 5cm, you might be able to get away by relocating the knot in one of the original grey leader lines, or make a new one closer to the bar.

good luck, Rudo

PS in the picture the loose end of blue line isn’t cut to the right length yet.

Image Attachments
powerline-ext.jpg

Posted: 13 September 2008 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

You can also ‘sleeve’ &  tie a new loop in your line :      http://www.windwizard.com/knots.html                http://www.powerline-sports.com/knots.html      ... Do not tie unsleeved line ... If it’s not ‘Q’ sleeve it !!!

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 14 September 2008 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-06

Depends on how much shorter you’re talking about. A line may stretch if you pull hard enough but admittedly this would only be for minor differences.

You could try removing all 4 of the 3 metre extensions and then checking your line lengths with just the 21 metre lines. Could be that the shorter line is one of the 3 metre extensions. Swap it to a steering line and then make the adjustment at the bar underneath the bar floats the other side to compensate.

Alternatively swap steering lines for power lines and make the adjustment as described above.

Just my thoughts smile

andy

Signature 

andy

Dorset UK

Posted: 31 October 2008 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-01-23
rodeo clown - 12 September 2008 05:29 AM

(Remember that those kook proof connectors are added afterwards, and make the steering lines a bit longer)

-

Thanks for clarifying about ‘bypassing’ the kook-proof connector section when measuring for equal-length.

I noticed when my red steering lines are taut, my front lines are drooping quite a bit.

I ended up placing both of my steering lines on the last knot (as found underneath each foam floater)

I also had to move the front line ‘figure of 8’ knots closer to the ‘mickey mouse.’

Here’s how I went about it…

After removing my keys from my D-shaped carabiner,
I hooked it to the valve stem of the outdoor water spigot on the side of the house.
Then I placed all 4 of the ‘loops’ (as found at the end of each line)
onto the carabiner (bypassing the ‘kook-proof length’ with the 2 knots)

While I ended-up missing a possible post-work session tonight,
I’m certain that I’ll be rewarded with a much improved kiting experience for my efforts.

Marc

Posted: 23 May 2009 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-23
FLORIDA RISE RECRUITER - 31 October 2008 01:25 AM
rodeo clown - 12 September 2008 05:29 AM

-

Thanks for clarifying about ‘bypassing’ the kook-proof connector section when measuring for equal-length.

I noticed when my red steering lines are taut, my front lines are drooping quite a bit.

I ended up placing both of my steering lines on the last knot (as found underneath each foam floater)

I also had to move the front line ‘figure of 8’ knots closer to the ‘mickey mouse.’

Here’s how I went about it…

After removing my keys from my D-shaped carabiner,
I hooked it to the valve stem of the outdoor water spigot on the side of the house.
Then I placed all 4 of the ‘loops’ (as found at the end of each line)
onto the carabiner (bypassing the ‘kook-proof length’ with the 2 knots)

While I ended-up missing a possible post-work session tonight,
I’m certain that I’ll be rewarded with a much improved kiting experience for my efforts.

Marc

Brilliant. Just found the answer to the puzzle and also exactly what ive been doing today. I measured the lines without the kook-proof lenght. Glad I got it right and dont have to readjust again. Cheers. wink

Macdougal