Big fins on the mako 134

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Just thought I’d share an experience I’ve been having.
I’ve been going through mako wide withdrawal lately (new 140 should be in soon!),
and the mako 134 has been my biggest board. Out of curiousity I put the 3” fins on this little board to see if I could squeeze some low end out of her.
I thinks its working! The board has less side slip and gets on a plane very quickly and once you are there….on a plane,
its all good! The board does stick a bit more and requires a bit more leg pressure to do a surface switch, but that has been easy to adapt to.
It sure is a lot more fun to be on such a little skatey twin tip when other kiters are on big fat glides.
Now more than ever I think the new 140 is going to be a sweet hull, and compliment the 134 perfectly.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

craig myers - 11 September 2008 02:22 PM

Just thought I’d share an experience I’ve been having.
I’ve been going through mako wide withdrawal lately (new 140 should be in soon!),
and the mako 134 has been my biggest board. Out of curiousity I put the 3” fins on this little board to see if I could squeeze some low end out of her.
I thinks its working! The board has less side slip and gets on a plane very quickly and once you are there….on a plane,
its all good! The board does stick a bit more and requires a bit more leg pressure to do a surface switch, but that has been easy to adapt to.
It sure is a lot more fun to be on such a little skatey twin tip when other kiters are on big fat glides.
Now more than ever I think the new 140 is going to be a sweet hull, and compliment the 134 perfectly.

Craig
Do you think I should make this mod too? I agree with your comments and am interested in squeezing some low end out of the Classic otherwise I will seldom use it. I can get some 6cm (2.36 inch) G10 fins I can mount on my Classic. Should I give it a shot?

Kirk

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Sorry, photos and topic by man drinking beer!
I guess they are not 3” fins.
They are the stock fins off my mako wide, 5.6cm and a totally different foil shape too.
I’ve only felt the stickyness when I’m rotating the board in the water to switch stance.
After a few sessions, I am very happy with how they are working for me.
This could be a easy way to beef up the way that mako classic tracks on a waypoint. cool smile

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

I got a Mako Wide with those 5.6 inch fins. Could it be an idea to just swap the fins between this board and the 5 inch fins of the Classic? It might make the Wide more slidey and should not affect its water start too much which is stupid easy with the 5.6 inch fins.

Kirk

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide