One 9m review?

Total Posts: 86

Joined 1969-12-31

PM

I read a review of the 9m One that said at the very lowest end of it’s range the kite tends to stall. Is this a technique thing or an over-critical kiter? is it a pain in the ass to fly? The thing I loved about the Switchblades I’ve ridden is that they’re almost set-and-forget and have always gotten me back to shore with some sining when the wind drops. If I’m out and the wind drops or lulls, am I looking at a long swim? Looking for a 9m bow and hoped it would be an OR. thanks

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Re: One 9m review?

[quote author=“hiway12”]I read a review of the 9m One that said at the very lowest end of it’s range the kite tends to stall. Is this a technique thing or an over-critical kiter? is it a pain in the ass to fly? The thing I loved about the Switchblades I’ve ridden is that they’re almost set-and-forget and have always gotten me back to shore with some sining when the wind drops. If I’m out and the wind drops or lulls, am I looking at a long swim? Looking for a 9m bow and hoped it would be an OR. thanks

Check out the ” One’s the One ”  9m review further down in the postings.

Like most any modern perfomance kite, it can back up if the rider oversheets the kite in very light wind.  If you avoid this, and sine the kite a bit, it will fly in very little wind (much less than you need to actually be powered up and ripping). Try out the kite - you will love it. :wink:

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 86

Joined 1969-12-31

PM

that’s the same guy who raised my question. a week later he posted his disappointment in the kite. follow the thread at:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2327294&sid=5de78e7dc66a7739ddc206074de6822b

don’t get me wrong I want to buy a 9m bow, hopefully an OR. I was asking if this is a problem specific to the size? it’s the only review I could find on the 9m and it’s not a particularly good one.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

Hi-I’m not sure if this helps, however, The wind dropped just about completely the other night when I was out on my 12One(the wind had bubbled near the shore so that it was about 5-6knots). I found that by sining aggresively, I could get back to the beach. I was sinking to my waist. 2 of the 3 C kites that were out dropped into the water. The trick is the same as any kite—-Keep it moving and don’t over sheet it, otherwise it will stall. I was really surprised when I read those comments about the 9.
This by Richard on the 16One and light winds>>>>>>>>>>>>>
“By sheeting in hard as you turn the kite skyward you can “pump” the kite into a turn and then sheeting out to allow the kite to climb. (if you continue to hold the bar in tight you may stall the kite - easy to identify as the kite will slide backwards)
In very light winds the kite may not have the air speed to climb up if you have it sitting stationary just above the ground/water (gravity defeats the lift). Tricks to get out of this situation if on the beach are to “run upwind”, or down turn the kite if your high enough in the window to make the down stroke (this sends the kite through the power zone so be ready to de-power by sheeting out the bar) ,
In light wind its a finesse game. Keep your kite moving, sheeting the bar out to increase air speed (climb), sheet the bar in to generate power (initiate turns)....I hope this helps.”>>>>>>>>>>>>

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

It really does help to have come from flying Foil kites for this!!

The trim is REALLY important in low wind, you need to have it set for the day…. start on full power.. this “chokes” the kite up and makes it fly backwards, then depower until it stops doing this with the bar pulled all the way in.
In very light wind it will eventually stall out of the sky if you keep it fully powered but if you can get it to launch, keep the speed up and you will at least have it flying.

I am looking forward to getting my 9m…. i am hoping that my son gets to use it more often than the 12….. 7 stone people get overpowered real quick… but he enjoyed his play on a Naish shockwave 9m last weekend.

Signature

16m one, session harness and a pyro pro equipped….. 9 on the way soon!
LOVELY!

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

[quote author=“hiway12”]that’s the same guy who raised my question. a week later he posted his disappointment in the kite. follow the thread at:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2327294&sid=5de78e7dc66a7739ddc206074de6822b

don’t get me wrong I want to buy a 9m bow, hopefully an OR. I was asking if this is a problem specific to the size? it’s the only review I could find on the 9m and it’s not a particularly good one.

For some reason there is a strong contradiction between the two reviews. I can assure you that there is no problem specific to the 9’s, and that when rigged and flown correcly, the 9 is magic. The single biggest benefit of these new kites is the ability to readily adjust their trim - two tips to help users make the most of these kites -  they are of particular importance in very light wind:

1) In order to get the most high end and low end performance out of the One you have to ?fly? the kite by constantly moving the bar to change the kite?s angle of attack.

2) The One is an incredibly flat kite. This can lead to 2 confusing situations for someone used to flying C shaped kites:

A) The kite will slump or slide down on the edge of the window. The flat   shape of the One makes it awkward to fly on the edge of the window. Sit the kite higher in the window and simply use the longer throw to de-power for safety.
B)) The kite tends to back up in the window or won?t climb. Since you can so drastically affect angle of attack, iit is likely you have actually stalled the kite. De-power the kite to let it climb!

Anyway, where are you located? Perhaps we can arrange a demo so you don’t have to take our word for it. Also, we will be present at the Pismo event this weekend, so keep an eye out for new reviews.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

I think she would probably best off with a 7m One. I weigh 150 lbs, and can ride the 9m One without effort in 15 knots. She may have to work a little with a 7m in 13 knots, but if it is gusting higher and/or she uses a bigger board, she will be fine. She will also have no problem taking the 7m into the higher end of the range you describe.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2006-05-24

PM

I have a few comments on short reach.I have short arms and when I started to kite I found the long throw to be uncomfortable, and for some reason I wanted to ride with the bar against the stopper with full power all the time so I shortened the throw.I belive that made for a longer and more painfull learning curve. I now ride with my bar about half way or a little more sheeted in with as much throw as possible.This gives you so much more room to fly the kite and create more power.I learn things much quicker now with way more safety.I don’t shorten the throw on my bars but do try to shorten the chicken loop to make the bar closer to my body by cutting off balls,spacers or anything else that creates more distance.I tried a bar the other day with a short throw and felt very nervous and can’t belive I used to ride that way. With the One kite having so much depower use the trim strap to help depower on the fly.It is so easy to adjust when you get used to it.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

In lite winds set the front lines at max power, then trim the foil with the sheeting line on the chicken loop as needed.  With good foward motion while working the foil, this 9m does very well in lite winds. I like this size for traction on land, it can handle ground contact and a little dirt.  Its one tough little kite.  :twisted:

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Finally got some storm winds in Seattle today! 25 to 30 kts from the sw with some rain. Knee to waist high wind waves and knee high back wash from the sea wall along the shoreline just south of Richmond Beach, at Boeing creek.  There is shallow water off this point that kicks up the waves another foot or two, and the wind is a bit pinched here as well, so its like a little bast furnace. Serious conditions, and my first chance to use this 9m One on the water.
How did it do? Well I’m still smiling so much my cheeks hurt! This kite is so easy to use when its powered up that it makes everything fun! Instead of going out and just trying to survive, I was picking big waves out of the sets and ripping the faces clean with my 150 mako while the kite just sat there waiting for my input. The bar pressure is surprisingly light, less than my Diablos, and a finger tip grip seemed to work best, along with smooth, slow sheeting. The way this kite de-powers really lets you point into the wind effortlessly, and I was easily able to sail upwind a mile to the creek.
Jumping is so different than the diablo, and even though I was able to get some good altitude on this first session, I seemed to throw the kite around too much and killed my forward motion, so my re-entries were flat.  All I need is more time and I’ll get it figured out, but for now, I have to say that this is the best freeride kite I’ve ever used. Just point it and you will go there. If a 35 knot gust hits, you just sheet out a little, no sweat.  If you get a wave, you can keep the kite high or throw it low, even dead center in the wind window and not get bitch slapped. My daiblo’s can do this too, but this One has more depower, a silly amount of de-power that can take you into some serious stuff.
Ahhh, my blue 9m One. I think I will name her my “Southern Belle” 8)

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I’m in !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2006-05-24

PM

Craig is so right about the 9m one.My main kite used to be a 12 m Bronco.I can generate as much power with my 9m one as I could with my 12m.To me it is a no brainer.Who wouldn’t want to ride smaller kites all the time.The 7m one is even more fun to fly and is faster turning than any c kite I’ve flown.No bar pressure.Once you figure out the timing on jumps and landings you fly higher and further with amazing hang time.It’s like your kite turns into a para glider.As far as stalling your kite in low winds,it is no different than any other c or flat kite.They all stall if you oversheet too much.I have flown the 9m about 40 days and the 7m 25 days and only had the 9 stall once in light wind on about my 3rd or 4th time out . When you kite in gusty conditions as on Maui you notice the people that are having fun are the kiters on the new hybrid kites.90% of the riders there ride them whether they’re in the waves or not.For some reason Canadian kiters are very reluctant to switch and get with the future.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Nice going Mark !!! I’m looking forward to that latest mod. for my 12. Enjoy your trip.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…