12 or 16 One for 200 pound intermediate?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2006-05-02

PM

I weigh about 200 pounds and kite mainly in the Gorge, Oregon Coast, Nitinat and Alberta lakes.  I am have about 30 days kiting under my belt, own a Naish Aero 14M and would like a kite with more low end but one that can better handle the gusts.
When the winds up enough for me to windsurf on a 4.5M, I think my body would rather stay closer to the water.
The One wind chart has 200 pounds as the boarderline weight between the 16M and 12M. Would a 12M One be a litttle too small or should I go for a 16M?
What size bar and line length would you recommend?

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Because of the flatter shape of the One versus many of the other SLE, Bow or Flat kites out there you can get a really good low end power out of our kites. As a result I would say, based on your weight and where you are riding, that the 12 would be ideal for you.

That being said, you could consider a 9 / 16 combo as well but I think the 12 would be your best bet for one One kite.

Line lengths with the kite come standard as 21m with 3m extensions. This is because the combination of the line leaders and the bridles on the kites add up to an additional 3m, making the line length overall to be 27m. Drop the 3m extensions to remove a bit of power but to also speed the kite’s turning up a bit.

JohnZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2006-05-02

PM

Thanks for the advice on the 12, my choice has been made, what bar length do you recommend?

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

[quote author=“robarmy”]Thanks for the advice on the 12, my choice has been made, what bar length do you recommend?

It’s a matter of preferance. Both sizes of bar we supply work well with the 12m, so it’s hard to make a recommendation. Some riders hate larger bars, and some like them. The bigger bar will assist in turning the kite in very light wind, but it makes freestyle moves trickier because it’s more cumbersome. If you are/will be into tricks and riding well- powered most of the time, go with the smaller bar. If you are into cruising, wave riding, or just want the maximum possible range out of the kite, go with the smaller one.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales