Center line break on Rise

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

O.K. I demoed a kite today to a friend but with 2007 bar, I had fix the knot near the black ball as requested, the guy riding the kite said the line release, so either the knot pulled through or the ball broke who knows.  The problem is that the kite seems to lose all safety and depower at this point the same thing has happened to me this winter.  The kite will loop once land leading edge in the water, then a few seconds later will to the same.  What is the solution to have this stop, the kite just continues to pull, on this day my demoer got draged onto the beach and the kite finally looped onto a woodent stake ripping the kite about seven inches stoping the spinning.  He did not want to release totally from the kite as it was cross on and the kite would’ve flown into fences steel post and so on (no worries I told not to worry about the kite and next time release if his safety was in question he said it wasn’t)  O.K. what do you do if your center line snaps, or sometype of malfunction happend to one of the center line.  I’ve heard grab rear line to flag the kite, I find this difficult to understand as the kite would usually have flipped a couple of time before you even realize what’s going on and then the rear lines are twisted to tight to pull and the fact you would be pulling on rear line that has tension and power.  The only two option I can see is that if someone is there to help you then he can, the secon is release the kite.  This is there third time the kite has done this twice to me and once to a friend today.  9m one and 10m and 12m Rise.  Just to let you know I’m a rep with Fundy Kiteboarding and was demoing the kite and the guy riding the kite is ordering a 10m 2008, I’m going to have to fix mine, price of doing buisness.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I also need two new center attachments with the red ball, as I looked at my 60cm bar and it seems like it’s ready to fail also, has the old black ball, I’m going to tie a second knot in attempt to secure it futher.  I’m not complaining by any means still great kite and gear, but looking for opinion or options when this occurs again.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

Hi Jason,
It would be great if you could take picture of the broken line, so we could see where it broke and could check ours.
Thanx,
Jaros

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

I was thinking of the same thing, if that centre line brakes ur in real big shit. Guess its just a perk?

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

It might not be the perfect solution, but what about installing an “On sh!t” handle to one of the rear lines..

Did this just happen with the ‘07 bar? Did you have any problems with the ‘08 Bar?

Justin

Signature

‘08 RISE 8m/12m, Mako Pro, Mako Wide, Session Harness, Pyro, Crazyfly skimboard

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

centerline break

It happened to me last week , as I wrote somewhere on the forum , the knot on the depower line got undone , (next to the eject system) , I was drifting offshore 20 to 30 knots wind. All I had left is the bar and the backlines , I was able to roll one back line , yes the kite spin once in a while , but I watched and swivel the bar opposite of the spin. It is been a bad adventure but I saved everything .The main thing to watch for are the loose lines which tend to cath on you. I usually fix a O Shit on the front , but a had nothing this one time , it would have been very usefull.

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

It was the 2007 bar I’m posting a link to the tech section, this is the problem I’ve encountered this time, but I’ve broken a line in the past too with same results.  Just to let you know I did the mod and had retied the knot, the reason I believe it pulled through is the little velcro piece were torn.  Hopefully O.R. can give some suggestion on self rescue in this situation.  Just to clear one thing there was tension on one front line still attached and two rear lines, the kite would loop in the same direction as where the one center line still attached.  Link didn’t work go to thech section and look for the heading IMPORTANT! Potential SLE Bar Safety Issue!  about halfway down the page it has photo’s and write about the issue.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

The center line trim line will be exposed the the possibility of breaking due to wear and tear on the line (it is exposed to abrasion from the bar during normal kiting conditions). We make replacement lines available for very little money and encourage our riders to swap the line out as they see the condition deteriorate. Generally I advise riders who are on the water 3 days a week to replace the line every 6 months, every 3 if they ride with very fine sand (which can get in the line and break it down faster).

For 2009 we have been testing a number of different lines to use that will work well with a cleat (can not have a colapsable inner core or it will jam in the cleat) and which will stand up to the abuse better. Stay tuned!

Re: outside line grab handle, not a good option as - I have been told - it can cause the kite to start spinning.

John

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Thanks for the answer john but quick question is there a solution for self rescue when a center line breaks for whatever reason, the kite seem to remain powered up and spins.  I just need to know if it’s saveable or it’s a situation to ditch the kite.

Thanks,

Jason

Signature

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

One solution is to put the lesh on one of the front lines, where you have the oshit handle on the 2008 bar. At least that is what I will do. I do not use the stopper anyway so have the normal 100% depower when I let the bar go and I will use the leash only in extreme situations (self rescue, depower line break,...)
Jaros

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

WAX IT

I had a 2007 bar for 3 months and the centre line was stuffed.

The 2008 bar though so far its been 8 months and its probably 20% worn. Though now I put wax on my lines all summer, and by winter the wax has harded the line so much that its very tough.

I think the wax will easily double the life of the trim line.