12m rise concern relaunch and upwind ability

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-05-14

PM

Hi i just bought a 12 rise vented 2 issues relaunch when the kite is on it’s leading edge downwind and i pull on one of the back lines to get it to pop on it’s side it wont do it tried it a few times if i keep pulling more line in the kite will turn around and face leading edge into the wind any idea’s thanks. The other problem can’t go upwind to good i think i have enough depower but pulls down wind like a truck maybe i need more depower. Otherwise like the kite stable and predictable.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Read the manual:  http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kiting/rise.php    support/manuals/SLE kites/ page#17 ... Page # 14 covers settings: Try #1 & keep in mind the kite is the power source & the board & rider the rudder ... Keep your speed moderate & edge like hell ... If your skipping sideways try a MAKO !!!  8) ... If you are launching in light winds with the leading edge away from you tugging on the rear lines enables a reverse launch ... Trailing edge down tugging on the front lines (wind @ your back) as though you are starting a lawn mower will pump the kite into the air in just a few knots ...

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

I’ve found that just pulling in on one side of the bar so that it is parallel to the front lines - ie one end of your bar is pointing at the kite works best.  The trim strap has to be fully powered.  If you start to pull in extra on the back line it does exactly what you mention - flips around leading edge into the wind.  Sometimes I’ve had to wait a minute or at most two with one end of the bar pulled in (especially when it’s gusty) for the kite to make its way to the edge of the window, but so far it has always worked (in surf, bad chop, lulls, gusts).  I’m very impressed with the relaunch - a little bit of patience goes a long way.  Hope that helps. 

I haven’t had as much luck with the reverse launch - the space between the canopy and leading edge tends to fill with water; I guess I need to be faster!

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-05-14

PM

OK thanks for that i have been kiting for about 6 years hardly ever drop the kite but i thuoght i should try to relaunch it i will keep trying and i will depower the kite more to hold the edge not skipping though just a heap of power i will muck around with it a bit more thanks.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2006-05-24

PM

The 8m relaunches very easy by pulling on a steering line.The 10m does not relaunche well if the wind is a bit light.What works well for me is to pull the 2 flying line toward your chest,Swim toward the kite .It will roll over just like the old c kites with out a 5th line. I’ve seen 5th lines attatched to the rise which seemed to work well, but that one extra line sucks if you are in surf. As for upwind performance.They go upwind great but not like the One’s did( the One is a true wing)