re-launching the big Rises

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Question for those of you with 14 and 16m Rises, how much wind do you need to water relaunch these kites, say

a) drifting in deep water
b) standing in shallow water

Thanks !

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I’ve been out in 8kn and had the thing relaunch easily.  Other days I’ve been out in the same kind of wind, and basically had to come back to the beach (like this Saturday, probably less than 8kn, incoming neap tide).  The tides/currents can obviously help or hinder the process.

I find that if I can’t self-launch on the beach, I generally won’t be able to relaunch in the water, and factor this in accordingly.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

In really light wind I have had some luck getting the kite up by simply yanking on the 2 front lines to “hop” the kite up into the wind.

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2007-03-13

PM

I haven’t tried this on the water yet, but on snow I’ve reversed launched the kite by pulling on both steering lines at the same time. You need to reach up about an arms length and pull from there.  The kite will hover a few feet off the snow, then let out one side and the kite will pivot and fly away.

Signature

Big Tide Paddle Surfing
Standup paddleboards, Jimmy Lewis, and DaKine dealer
Ocean Rodeo drysuits
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
http://www.bigtidepaddlesurfing.com

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

A quick relaunch is possible in 5 - 8 knots as mentioned above by quickly tugging the front lines ... Don’t be shy , pull 1 - 2 feet rapidly & ’ pump ’ your kite into the sky ... It’s like starting a lawn mower & works best with the kite directly downwind. ( before it drops onto the water is best !!! )... If your kite is inverted do the same with the back (outside steering lines) until your kite is high enough off the water to twist it back to flying forward ... This takes practice preferably with a small kite in controlled conditions ... With practice these maneouvers become second nature ... I hope this helps ...  8)

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

In the really light stuff with big kites I revert to the old school if the kite is LE down. Let the bar all the way out to an arm’s length, and swim at it hard for a few strokes. The kite will start to roll onto its back, at which point you can initiate the relaunch.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales