Mako Wide (what else.. )

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-17

PM

@Wouter: not your fault! Your service is great.

It would not be such a problem if the wind was better. Last weeks were teribble(but just enough for the Mako in my imagination). And this week there will be wind, but saturday is the first day that I can go kiting.
A week longer and I need a white sweater with very long sleaves.

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

[quote author=“Johnz”]

The good news is that the Holland warehouse is actually stoked and functional now! Go ahead and test me! Order something! smile

John Z

I did .. wink
No Wide so far..

Just kidding. I know it is comming this week. And like Jorrit wrote there is some lack of wind on weekend days so it actually doesn’t matter if it comes at all… there will be no wind anyway…

1,5 week before summer holiday is what counts for me know..
Looks like the Wide will be in time.

Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Yesterday the postman arrived with the Mako Wide.
In real it looks even better.

Today I hitted the water and now I know for sure that all good things come slowly.

Smooth is the word for the Mako Wide.
It is really nice to carve the Wide around, what a ride.

Started with my 13m, I ride Flysurfer PsychoIII’s, on normal shollow and deep water, just enough wind to get going. After some adjustments to the straps (which can use some finetunning: small feet: felcro strap is too much loose and can comes loose after a good crash.. i experienced it myself…) I took of some 3 m lines from my 13, wind picked up and better turning from the kite, nice carving, very smooth. Jumping ok, don’t try to pop it won’t work… rotations ok, fast landings, downlooping landings no problemo! a 150 board wich don’t feels big!

Wind pickes up… down sizeing to my 8. know we are talking!
Jumping is ok needs some adjusting from my side, I’m too used to my 666. the water gets choppy and windwaves can be riden so nicely that I’m looking forward to my coming holiday to Corsica with some real waves.
Carving is so nice.

The wide is loose when you want it and tracks when needed.
Chop doesn’t matter, sometimes you bounch a bit but always (so far) in control, it is even fun riding the chop which I hated with my 666.

One fin (2..) is really enough, did someone try without fins?

Sliding to toe side is difficult, you need to hop (wich is no problem), riding toeside is great.

Did I mention the lack of spray..  very annoying.. now i had to wet my face myself to cool off a bit.. wink

Wind keeps picking up gusting over 30 knots, overpowerd and I need to come in (jumps were ok though..  :D ) the Mako and me enjoyed the ride!!
Unfortunatly the clocks tells me it is 16.00 hour and i need to get back home without trying my 6m :-(

Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-17

PM

I agree with janus.
My Mako arrived friday.
That evening there was a good wind so 5 ours after arrival I was on the water. If you compare it to a car. My 555 is a Audi TT and the Mako is a audi A8   :D
Very smooth eliminating chop. At first I found it hard to jump. Landings were very smooth though.
I have a lot to learn with this board. Can’t wait for the next session. Hopefully in the waves 8)

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

Had the most brilliant session on the Mako Wide yesterday in 30 knots, high swell and shore break with 8m Rise - that board is magic!  It was so good I kept making people give a try. Only problem was no one wanted to give it back and I kept getting flagged down to swap boards again and again.  High winds and rough water with a small kite is a epic combo.

Couldn’t stomach my regular twin tip in those conditions after being on the Mako!

It is like a long board and a snowboard had a child that was raised by a pack of kiteboards - it escapes description.  I am normally a flat water junky and that board is changing my definition of perfect conditions from butter to head high chop and swell. 

Thank you OR!

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

[quote author=“CAM”]It is like a long board and a snowboard had a child that was raised by a pack of kiteboards

Classic. This might be the best description yet.

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi,
Just back from a 3 week holiday in corse (corsica) choppy water, wind waves (house high..) 40 kts…
Wat a fun the wide is with my 6m.

BUT.. the design of the Wide isn’t correct…
for me, goofy rider, the front of the bord is ok… regular riders got the idea of riding backwards…
but for us all there is a desing error in the bottom… when you do a deadman, Uside down or table top etc etc you see the OR logo and text upside down on the pics… completely wrong..

but i can live with that..  wink

regards
Arjan